Headliner predictions 2017

swede

1 minute ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

There's many bands and acts that class themselves as pop but do indeed write and produce their own music. It's probably better to think of pop music as just being chart music, rather than basing it on how it's produced. Beyoncé has been manufactured since the age of about 11 into being what she is now. Destiny's Child was always a stepping stone for her to go into a solo career. I can't really stand her these days, but she does have a few gems in her back catalogue.

Sure, I'm happy with that definition of pop too. My original point is simply that acts that fit under my earlier definition of pop (which I *think* includes Gaga) are not usually gonna headline Glastonbury unless they are at the absolute top of the pile (e.g Beyonce).

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Sure, I'm happy with that definition of pop too. My original point is simply that acts that fit under my earlier definition of pop (which I *think* includes Gaga) are not usually gonna headline Glastonbury unless they are at the absolute top of the pile (e.g Beyonce).

Oh yeah, I agree with you there. Gaga could have been a headliner back in her Born This Way days maybe, now she's sub at best.

Some straws to grasp for the anti-Foos crowd:

According to Pinkpop boss Jan Smeets, the Foo Fighters doing festivals in Europe was a last-minute decision, and he's been told they'll only be in Europe for 2 weeks. If true, and if the UK is considered part of Europe, those two weeks would end no later than July 7 (Nos Alive), so could still include the Glasto Sunday.

However, he also said that the festivals they are playing this year are paying an "enormous amount", and that Pinkpop joined with other festivals to create an equal offer but that they could not match it. Considering Glastonbury generally pays a lot less than other festivals, this might mean Glastonbury is not one of those high-paying festivals.

Still, he also says that Foo Fighters weren't available in the Pinkpop 2017 weekend, and they're now negotiating a 2018 appearance, so it might also mean that it was just too expensive for the Foos to make a separate trip to Europe just for Pinkpop.

Also, it should be noted that Jan Smeets is generally considered (among festival goers) to be even less reliable than Michael Eavis.

Dutch language source: http://festileaks.com/2016/11/pinkpop-update-foo-fighters-twee-weken-naar-europa-geen-pinkpop/

3 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

Some straws to grasp for the anti-Foos crowd:

According to Pinkpop boss Jan Smeets, the Foo Fighters doing festivals in Europe was a last-minute decision, and he's been told they'll only be in Europe for 2 weeks. If true, and if the UK is considered part of Europe, those two weeks would end no later than July 7 (Nos Alive), so could still include the Glasto Sunday.

However, he also said that the festivals they are playing this year are paying an "enormous amount", and that Pinkpop joined with other festivals to create an equal offer but that they could not match it. Considering Glastonbury generally pays a lot less than other festivals, this might mean Glastonbury is not one of those high-paying festivals.

Still, he also says that Foo Fighters weren't available in the Pinkpop 2017 weekend, and they're now negotiating a 2018 appearance, so it might also mean that it was just too expensive for the Foos to make a separate trip to Europe just for Pinkpop.

Also, it should be noted that Jan Smeets is generally considered (among festival goers) to be even less reliable than Michael Eavis.

Dutch language source: http://festileaks.com/2016/11/pinkpop-update-foo-fighters-twee-weken-naar-europa-geen-pinkpop/

if they're playing those European festivals around the end of June i can't see them leaving Glastonbury out - even if it does pay less, why not just play it and get it out of the way whilst already in the area rather than making a separate trip somewhere along the line? it's not like they'd be a new booking and unaware of the lower fee - they're just fulfilling unfinished business

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

if they're playing those European festivals around the end of June i can't see them leaving Glastonbury out - even if it does pay less, why not just play it and get it out of the way whilst already in the area rather than making a separate trip somewhere along the line? it's not like they'd be a new booking and unaware of the lower fee - they're just fulfilling unfinished business

Nice Dave doesn't really seem the type to go for highest possible fee (looking at you messers Brown and Squire). I can imagine him wanting to honour the band's previous booking.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I swear somebody asks about the bloody Killers every day. They're another of those acts who have headlined once and there is absolutely no reason to have them back.

See also: Leon, Kings of

Asking about the Killers is becoming the new "Have you been watching Westworld? ZOMGZ RADIOHEAD!"

29 minutes ago, Richi1988 said:

Headlining the Other would be my cuppa.

Though I am shamelessly a big fan of indie pop :ph34r:

I would like that saw them twice before 2005 and 2006 I think it was , 2005 was better , listened to Vitamin string quartet doing their album today, brought back all the memories

53 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah, more realistically they are in fact in Europe *because* they wanted to do Glastonbury while they could, and built the other festivals around that. So the reason they're not doing Pinkpop is just because it takes place much earlier (June 3-5).  

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I swear somebody asks about the bloody Killers every day. They're another of those acts who have headlined once and there is absolutely no reason to have them back.

To be fair there's a 148 page thread on Radiohead, which I can't quite get my head round.

But it's different vibes for different tribes ;)

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Bit precious :D They're a bloody big band with an album due out next year. Absolutely no reason not to throw them into the ring, even if it's not as likely as a few others.

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I can't imagine Kings of Leon or The Killers being booked, the last time anyone gave a shit was almost a decade ago and it's not like they're legendary. 

In fairness that isn't quite true, The Killers sold out Wembley Stadium only three years ago :ph34r: I do agree there's no good reason for them to be booked ahead of a lot of acts these days but the same could've been said of The Who and Muse..

Edited by Zac Quinn

13 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

In fairness that isn't quite true, The Killers sold out Wembley Stadium only three years ago :ph34r: I do agree there's no good reason for them to be booked ahead of a lot of acts these days but the same could've been said of The Who and Muse..

Yep, after this year's coldplay and muse debacle the gates have been thrown wide open for any old tosspots to headline multiple times on the back of absolutely shite albums.

At least the killers last headlined ages ago.

39 minutes ago, jparx said:

Never underestimate the possibility of the Eavii booking some completely pants, way past their prime headliner.

I doubt any of the three dreaded Ks will headline next year but we need to be on guard at all times.

But, we may welcome the alternative not nearly so dreaded three K's:

Kinks

Kraftwerk

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard