Headliner predictions 2017

swede

It's definitely gonna happen at some point that someone with no technical ability towards music headlines Glastonbury blasting tunes out of their laptop. It's just how music's changing; it's a cheap and effective way to make music and young people seem to love it - hence why other festivals have started putting more emphasis on that on the main stages and not just the dance stages.

Probably won't happen with Calvin, mind, as I think he'd have done it by now if he was to and he must have peaked by now. But, unless Glastonbury doesn't go on for much longer, there's no future where it's all live bands.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i just very much doubt they'd book a headliner who essentially goes up there, does fuck all, and then walks off stage an hour and a half later. popular as he may be, there's nothing live about his show apart from the fact that he's there. would be a travesty of a headliner

But it'd be the best thing since sliced bread if two Frenchman dressed as robots did it?

Just now, justperfect said:

But it'd be the best thing since sliced bread if two Frenchman dressed as robots did it?

as i understand it Daft Punk actually do something whilst on stage - remixing or what have you - instead of just pressing play and waving their arms in the air. although the fact that they don't suck certainly helps :P 

The dance acts that in the past have headlined the G and other non dance music festivals (I'm thinking Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Orbital, etc) tend to have live shows that are heavily influenced by the dynamics of rock shows.

It's never just 'a bloke with a laptop' - there's always a show to go with it.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The dance acts that in the past have headlined the G and other non dance music festivals (I'm thinking Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Orbital, etc) tend to have live shows that are heavily influenced by the dynamics of rock shows.

Last time the prodigy were on they were rubbish

I wanted loads of old stuff and they played new stuff

then I was sick down the back of the person infront of me wellies

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In the future tho. The technology around it has changed a lot since those lot were headlining and there are probably people hitting the charts now without the first clue of doing dance music outside of Ableton.

It would probably help to have some sort of idea how to dynamically work a setlist but if the fans are there to hear the tunes then why not just pre-mix it and sort out some good visuals? Kids aren't growing up with the idea that the live shows should be incredibly technical to be like a rock show so I can't see it being a lasting concern.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Also, is it true that Chemical Brothers chose to headline the Other Stage instead of doing the Pyramid because of the horizon or something along those lines? Just read it on the Guardian, but wasn't sure if it was true or not.

I agree also, when I saw Skrillex in 2014 it was him and a huge tank type thing with lights and whatever going on around him and videos. Great performance though for one guy and an Apple Mac

15 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Also, is it true that Chemical Brothers chose to headline the Other Stage instead of doing the Pyramid because of the horizon or something along those lines? Just read it on the Guardian, but wasn't sure if it was true or not.

Nah, they headlined the Pyramid on Saturday night in 2000. Unless they were meant to headline the Pyramid in 2015 but chose The Other instead. In which case I've totally missed that bit of info and you should probably ignore me.

3 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Nah, they headlined the Pyramid on Saturday night in 2000. Unless they were meant to headline the Pyramid in 2015 but chose The Other instead. In which case I've totally missed that bit of info and you should probably ignore me.

I also read that, maybe they was supposed to Sub Pyramid, or headline it? I remember Metallica was first rumoured here on efest to play other stage, maybe a connection?

10 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Just found it on here actually - http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/the-other-stage/

Thought I'd seen it somewhere.

Only thing  I guess, it doesn't say if they were going to headline on the Pyramid or not. Just that they headlined in 2011 on the Other

On 13/11/2016 at 0:45 PM, Hugh Jass said:

The B's are where it's at:

Beatles, Bowie, Blur, Beastie Boys, Beach Boys, Blondie, Beck, Belle & Sebastian, The Beta Band, Bon Ivor, BRMC

and of course The Bluetones 

What about Black Grape and Big Audio Dynamite??

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It's definitely gonna happen at some point that someone with no technical ability towards music headlines Glastonbury blasting tunes out of their laptop. It's just how music's changing; it's a cheap and effective way to make music and young people seem to love it - hence why other festivals have started putting more emphasis on that on the main stages and not just the dance stages.

Probably won't happen with Calvin, mind, as I think he'd have done it by now if he was to and he must have peaked by now. But, unless Glastonbury doesn't go on for much longer, there's no future where it's all live bands.

When I went to see Calvin, he was definitely mixing.

3 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

Having not seen either when they preformed on the pyramid, I don't think I could say. I don't think I've ever seen a fully electronic act on the Pyramid. 

I recall Faithless subbing Stevie Wonder a few years back. Didn't have the same effect as a headline set though.

Edited by tezshields
Grammar