Headliner predictions 2017

swede

3 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I mean, I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan or anything and that they definitely held that stance is very shit, but the last real source of this came from roughly 2000 - about 17 years is a long time, be interested to see if they still advocate the denial group they organised the benefit gig for.

That said they've never come out and publicly distanced themselves from it so *shrug*.

I mean half the time people have no idea they did this, so it's not like they go around promoting it at every gig, and I think if Glastonbury are ok with putting them on safe in the knowledge that the festival itself won't get tarnished as an Aids denier festival, then that's good enough for me.

well in addition to that, the drummer has supported anti-vaccination as recently as 2015.

But regardless of that, having one oldie band, one up and coming brit superstar and one female megastar feels much better than having a long-past their best act that plays everywhere every year.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

But regardless of that, having one oldie band, one up and coming brit superstar and one female megastar feels much better than having a long-past their best act that plays everywhere every year.

This part's the nail on the head for me.  Have no interest in seeing Sheeran personally and there's a good chance I'd end up watching Sprinty Dave, but for the sake of a good musical mix that would be better.

Just now, slash's hat said:

Erasure? Is this a real possibility? First gig I ever went to was to see them at Hammersmith odeon..would love this. 

As possible as anything else we waffle on about!

The tour dates in support of RW fit, and I don't think there's any doubt they'd go down a storm.  Whether that makes them likely I don't know, but I'm bloody hoping!

11 minutes ago, russycarps said:

well in addition to that, the drummer has supported anti-vaccination as recently as 2015.

Yeah, I'll go with that - definitely a bit of a disappointing booking these days, they've been rinsing it for years with huge gigs and festivals everywhere, and especially after the past few albums which have been extremely beige.

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

I have only heard whispered rumours of this.  Isn't she a comedy act?

You're not far wrong there!

came to home to the missus watching X-crement factor the other week and this was what I saw. The best explanation of her I can give is she's like your typical middle aged chav who still thinks she's 'down with the kids'.

I urge you not to look any further into the matter as my eyes and and ears can never unsee/hear that, and I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone else.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

glastonbury's always been a pop festival on the pyramid.

Depends how you define 'pop' tho. I think of pop as the people who often just sing and perform, rather than write and present their own music. They often tend to dance instead of play an instrument too. Often they are totally manufactured. (I referred to Beyonce earlier as a pop headliner, tho I have no idea if she fits into my definition of pop or not).

Just now, eFestivals said:

last time i saw Erasure - not too long ago - they were mid-order at a smallish festival.

They were also crap.

If we're delving into the worst of 80s electronic hi-nrg pop, then Bronski Beat would be a million times better.

But is that better or worse that Sheeran / Foos?

3 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Depends how you define 'pop' tho. I think of pop as the people who often just sing and perform, rather than write and present their own music. They often tend to dance instead of play an instrument too. Often they are totally manufactured. (I referred to Beyonce earlier as a pop headliner, tho I have no idea if she fits into my definition of pop or not).

There's many bands and acts that class themselves as pop but do indeed write and produce their own music. It's probably better to think of pop music as just being chart music, rather than basing it on how it's produced. Beyoncé has been manufactured since the age of about 11 into being what she is now. Destiny's Child was always a stepping stone for her to go into a solo career. I can't really stand her these days, but she does have a few gems in her back catalogue.