Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

If it's planned the Foo's are going to invade the UK with their red lights, when does everyone expect it to happen?

I'd like to have someone released before the end of November - whether it's them or not - just to get excited really either way!

You might be right, there's not many festivals around glasto time that they haven't announced so wouldn't be surprised if it was soon

1 hour ago, evannn said:

No, you see it's only a "real" set when it's by an electronic artist you're supposed to like (Daft Punk, the Chemical Bros, etc).

When it's anyone else, they just press play.

Have you SEEN The Chemical Brothers live set up? It's an absolute maze of equipment 

Calvin Harris just jumps about behind a couple of CDJs

12 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

chems

The+Chemical.jpg

daft punk

daft-punk-1366285327-view-0.jpg

harris

calvinharris2-e1418487863601.jpeg

not that any of it matters if you're enjoying what you're hearing, but to suggest that Harris' live set up is any way comparable to the other two, or that the live performance is even similar, is, frankly, ludicrous. 

Those e cigs in the Calvin Harris pic are getting ludicrous cloud production

I dont have the first clue on how these productions work and am the most musically inept person I know but in my head i always think that surely when touring they play similar or the same setlists each night, why cant they just perform it 'live' once or twice, record that and play it back each night following.

I know I'm entirely wrong and am doing each and every act of this nature an utter disservice, but my peanut sized musical brain just cant compute the logistics or technicalities of these live performances

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

chems

The+Chemical.jpg

daft punk

daft-punk-1366285327-view-0.jpg

harris

calvinharris2-e1418487863601.jpeg

not that any of it matters if you're enjoying what you're hearing, but to suggest that Harris' live set up is any way comparable to the other two, or that the live performance is even similar, is, frankly, ludicrous. 

Well Calvin Harris doesn't actually play live any more, he just DJs. So he doesn't have a live set up, per se.

I've seen James Holden play with a massive modular synth set up, Caribou with a full band, Kraftwerk with 4 laptops and much in between. More buttons doesn't necessarily mean better, and pressing a keyboard isn't more technical than a launchpad. Debate over how much kit someone has can be equated to saying the foo fighters are better than the pixies  because they have more guitar changes, it's a facetious argument. 

And live sets vs DJ is comparing apples to oranges, a better comparison would be a DJ with a conductor. Doesn't play the music but dictates how it sounds etc

7 minutes ago, evannn said:

And live sets vs DJ is comparing apples to oranges, a better comparison would be a DJ with a conductor. Doesn't play the music but dictates how it sounds etc

Only if the conductor is pressing play on a laptop.

each to their own but paying money to see someone press play on a laptop and then put headphones over one ear and yell incomprehensible twaddle into a microphone is baffling at best.

but as I say each to their own. Whatever floats your boat.

11 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Only if the conductor is pressing play on a laptop.

each to their own but paying money to see someone press play on a laptop and then put headphones over one ear and yell incomprehensible twaddle into a microphone is baffling at best.

but as I say each to their own. Whatever floats your boat.

Would presume evannn is talking about DJ sets where there is a live element to it, such as mixing two records together. It's not quite accurate, but it's a fairly good analogy.

I seriously doubt many people would defend a "press play and jump around" DJ set. And just because a DJ uses a laptop in their set doesn't mean it's a pre-recorded set, either.

33 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I dont have the first clue on how these productions work and am the most musically inept person I know but in my head i always think that surely when touring they play similar or the same setlists each night, why cant they just perform it 'live' once or twice, record that and play it back each night following.

I know I'm entirely wrong and am doing each and every act of this nature an utter disservice, but my peanut sized musical brain just cant compute the logistics or technicalities of these live performances

the same could be said for absolutely any band or artist though, couldn't it?

24 minutes ago, evannn said:

Well Calvin Harris doesn't actually play live any more, he just DJs. So he doesn't have a live set up, per se.

I've seen James Holden play with a massive modular synth set up, Caribou with a full band, Kraftwerk with 4 laptops and much in between. More buttons doesn't necessarily mean better, and pressing a keyboard isn't more technical than a launchpad. Debate over how much kit someone has can be equated to saying the foo fighters are better than the pixies  because they have more guitar changes, it's a facetious argument. 

i think we're making the same point here, though you put it more elequently.

14 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

good point, its probably comes back to that discussion of what is 'live' when it comes to electronic acts - and the playing of instruments. I am aware that many play instruments and therefore my stupid opinions are precisely that - but its whether you class those electronic acts that use mixers and the like as playing instruments live.

Like I said I am not pretending to know anything about this discussion and already feel that i have got myself in too deep to this and have most likely said some idiotic things.

Edited by mjsell

15 minutes ago, mjsell said:

good point, its probably comes back to that discussion of what is 'live' when it comes to electronic acts - and the playing of instruments. I am aware that many play instruments and therefore my stupid opinions are precisely that - but its whether you class those electronic acts that use mixers and the like as playing instruments live.

Like I said I am not pretending to know anything about this discussion and already feel that i have got myself in too deep to this and have most likely said some idiotic things.

i don't think you're saying anything idiotic.  once upon a time people said the same things about amplified music, then electric instruments, then things like effect peddles or keyboards that could synthesise sounds.  i know anecdotally that there are plenty of what we'd today call 'traditional' bands, ie not 'electronic', that use plenty of assisstance from the Macbook in the mixing desk.

it's an argument that repeats itself every generation and whether it matters is purely subjective.

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

The only difference is that it's much easier for the electronic artist to "press play" and make it look like they're actually performing live.

Given how much I enjoyed Underworld and how little was done on the night (seemingly once I watched it on iPlayer) makes it something of a moot point.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, Untz said:

Would presume evannn is talking about DJ sets where there is a live element to it, such as mixing two records together. It's not quite accurate, but it's a fairly good analogy.

I seriously doubt many people would defend a "press play and jump around" DJ set. And just because a DJ uses a laptop in their set doesn't mean it's a pre-recorded set, either.

I would defend a Craig Charles DJ set in SL - is this not press play and jump around?