Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Untz said:

Would presume evannn is talking about DJ sets where there is a live element to it, such as mixing two records together. It's not quite accurate, but it's a fairly good analogy.

I seriously doubt many people would defend a "press play and jump around" DJ set. And just because a DJ uses a laptop in their set doesn't mean it's a pre-recorded set, either.

Thanks, I had distracted myself a little. I also meant to say that there maybe aren't as many "press play and jump around" DJs as you might think, i.e. not all of them

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The only difference is that it's much easier for the electronic artist to "press play" and make it look like they're actually performing live.

Given how much I enjoyed Underworld and how little was done on the night (seemingly once I watched it on iPlayer) makes it something of a moot point.

I saw Hooky and The Light play an unknown pleasures show a couple of years back, I'm convinced he only played about 3 notes per song himself (the rest was by his band). It's possible that guitarists could convincingly mime, not sure why they'd necessarily want to 

(e: sorry for dragging it back off track)

Edited by evannn

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

I would defend a Craig Charles DJ set in SL - is this not press play and jump around?

What I meant was DJs who turn up with a pre-mixed set list who just set the thing up and let it run (+/- pretending to be doing stuff) without doing any other work for the whole set. From videos, Craig Charles looks like he's putting in a proper, if fairly basic, DJ set and having a great time - nothing wrong with that!

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The only difference is that it's much easier for the electronic artist to "press play" and make it look like they're actually performing live.

Given how much I enjoyed Underworld and how little was done on the night (seemingly once I watched it on iPlayer) makes it something of a moot point.

Go watch Top Of The Pops during the 80's. They all mimed pretty much while pretending to play live. Ironic thing is that New Order used to play live and they were an electronic band.

49 minutes ago, evannn said:

Thanks, I had distracted myself a little. I also meant to say that there maybe aren't as many "press play and jump around" DJs as you might think, i.e. not all of them

I saw Hooky and The Light play an unknown pleasures show a couple of years back, I'm convinced he only played about 3 notes per song himself (the rest was by his band). It's possible that guitarists could convincingly mime, not sure why they'd necessarily want to 

His son plays most of the basslines.

53 minutes ago, evannn said:

there's an awful lot of Hooky & The Light's shows which comes off backing tracks and isn't played live.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Do you know why that is? Can't be arsed or not good enough anymore?

Probably finds it too difficult singing and playing bass at the same time. When Pottsy takes lead on the New Order tunes, he will play a bit more bass.

His son is actually really good.

I can't make my mind up with Hooky's live shows. On one hand you get the best part of 3 hours from them and you get to hear forgotten classics that New Order will never ever play. Yet it is blatant cashing in, people are there to see Hooky play bass and he hardly does it, then his singing on the New Order tunes is far far too deep and can sound really bad.

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Do you enjoy them and think it's money worth spending? If so, the rest is just background. I've only paid to see him once and loved it. In a way, more than NO at Glastonbury this year. 

Its definitely worth the money. Yet after the Substance ones this year I came away disappointed. He should not sing the New Order tunes, he should leave that to Pottsy as they sound far better. I did not like the way he played both albums in chronological order either. 

I need to re-watch the New Order Glasto performance. I did not know what day it was. so have no idea how they actually were. It was not my fave performance on this tour anyway. It was far more enjoyable than WHP though.

18 minutes ago, eastynh said:

His son plays most of the basslines.

Cool

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Do you know why that is? Can't be arsed or not good enough anymore?

When I saw them I got the impression it was so he could run around and play frontman, and do the occasional windmill strum. 

Good fun though, regardless of who was playing