Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, willd255 said:

Have to say RH, ES, FF would be a very disappointing and unimaginative trio 

No-one's actually managed to come up with what would be an acceptable trio of headliners yet.

About 90% of Glastonbury-type acts are ruled out as apparently any band that is predominantly white, middle class and includes guitars is safe and boring.

Bands that don't have a suitable back catalogue or number of albums under their belts will lose the field and struggle to fill a set a la Mumfords.

"Classic" era bands are over the hill, dad rock or only in it for the money.

There's no evidence (that I'm aware of ) that the biggest RnB / hip hop acts like Kendrick Lamar, Drake or Frank Ocean have a great interest in playing, understandable after the shitstorm over Kanye.

The biggest female acts have had poor recent albums (Gaga), played too recently (Adele) or are off form in general (Rhianna).

Huge international acts like Bieber are too poppy or dicks. Or both.

Any leftovers have questionable moral or political viewpoints.

So please, someone enlighten me as to what would be acceptable.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

No-one's actually managed to come up with what would be an acceptable trio of headliners yet.

About 90% of Glastonbury-type acts are ruled out as apparently any band that is predominantly white, middle class and includes guitars is safe and boring.

Bands that don't have a suitable back catalogue or number of albums under their belts will lose the field and struggle to fill a set a la Mumfords.

There's no evidence (that I'm aware of ) that the biggest RnB / hip hop acts like Kendrick Lamar, Drake or Frank Ocean have a great interest in playing, understandable after the shitstorm over Kanye.

The biggest female acts have had poor recent albums (Gaga), played too recently (Adele) or are off form in general (Rhianna).

Almost all the headliners from recent years are more than acceptable. Some people just complain if a popular act isn't to their taste. Next year's 3 expected headliners, for example, are all massive.

I'd say the only recent questionable year was 2014, and any last minute replacement headliners from other years.

Edited by Little Andy

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Post of the century.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Have all the up votes

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

Ace.

Also just noticed RHCP were added as a rumour a few days ago. What's that about? Surely they wouldn't play without headlining?

they were within the range of possibles, similar to how the likes of RiHanna have been rumoured previously.

With foos looking so likely tho they've just been removed cos i just can't see Glasto having both.

Realistically there's only a handful of bands that most of this forum would be really happy with.

We have one of them this year, so I'm absolutely over the moon. I couldn't really care less who else we get. If we average one headliner every 3 years that really gets this forum in a frenzy, that's a pretty good job I reckon.

On 6/27/2016 at 10:30 AM, FloorFiller said:

Radiohead, Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran. Stone Roses if Foos aren't back to touring by then

did you get it right only 3 days after this year's festival? We'll have to wait and see

40 minutes ago, jparx said:

Phenomenal news! What's the story @eFestivals? 3rd down on the Pyramid before Foo Fighters? Subbing the Other?

I was thinking Friday middle of the day hip-hop slot for Prophets of Rage? It seems right. As they've only been going a year I'd expect they wouldn't be popular enough with a typical glastonbury crowd to justify them being as high up as 3rd down on Pyramid or subbing the other.

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

did you get it right only 3 days after this year's festival? We'll have to wait and see

I was thinking Friday middle of the day hip-hop slot for Prophets of Rage? It seems right. As they've only been going a year I'd expect they wouldn't be popular enough with a typical glastonbury crowd to justify them being as high up as 3rd down on Pyramid or subbing the other.

Their setlists include a fair amount of bangers though. It's essentially a RATM set with added Public Enemy/Cypress Hill.It's an odd one, but I definitely think they wouldn't be out of place 3rd from the top. People may be a bit unsure of what it's all about, but once they launch in to a few RATM tracks they will be all over it.