2016 Line Up Poster

wozwebs

Sigur Ros will be great and a few others will be cool but still feel the lineup is curated by a team of people who just react to what is currently mainstream and popular rather than setting the trend or go slightly leftfield. Compare it to Primavera and it's pretty laughable.

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch.

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch

Have to agree with this a little bit. No offence to anyone but it looks like a lineup made by middle aged people for middle aged people

2 minutes ago, willd255 said:

Have to agree with this a little bit. No offence to anyone but it looks like a lineup made by middle aged people for middle aged people

I'm middle aged and nope wouldn;t have chosen that line up - infact haven;t a clue of who most of them are lol ! Time to record some of them onto cassettes and have a listen !

Mine's split into:

Stuff I'm excited for: Savages, Hinds, Earth Wind & Fire, Ezra Furman, Bat For Lashes

Stuff I'm interested in but wouldn't be too bothered if they weren't there: Art Garfunkel, Beck, ELO, LCD Soundsystem, ZZ Top, Sigur Ros, Chvrches, Wolf Alice.

And then the rest. Some of which I have no interest in, some of which I'm sure are just utter joys waiting to be discovered.

1 minute ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think there's stuff that appeals to middle-aged people e.g. ZZ Top, Cyndi Lauper, New Order etc. and then stuff that appeals to a younger demographic in Mac DeMarco, Vince Staples, Disclosure, Bring Me the Horizon.

I thought it was quite a good mix of artist size, age and genre.... it's definitely not aimed at 'Da Kidz' - and I'm probably slap-bang in the middle of the target demographic, but I'm not sure it's pure Radio 2

4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think there's stuff that appeals to middle-aged people e.g. ZZ Top, Cyndi Lauper, New Order etc. and then stuff that appeals to a younger demographic in Mac DeMarco, Vince Staples, Disclosure, Bring Me the Horizon.

Oi I'm a yoof and I fucking love Cyndi Lauper.

Just now, Pbird81 said:

I thought it was quite a good mix of artist size, age and genre.... it's definitely not aimed at 'Da Kidz' - and I'm probably slap-bang in the middle of the target demographic, but I'm not sure it's pure Radio 2

Yeah I agree, I'm pretty happy with how diverse it is.

As I said earlier, only my 2nd time and paying a lot more attention this time but is the reaction usually this negative? It's really getting me down. I could look at every line up from 1970 to this one and would love to have been there. Maybe I've got a more eclectic music taste than most but I doubt it. Some people just like to moan and will see the negative in everything. They tend to be people I like to avoid in life. I'm happier that way. Don't bring me down...... Bruce!

4 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

As I said earlier, only my 2nd time and paying a lot more attention this time but is the reaction usually this negative? It's really getting me down. I could look at every line up from 1970 to this one and would love to have been there. Maybe I've got a more eclectic music taste than most but I doubt it. Some people just like to moan and will see the negative in everything. They tend to be people I like to avoid in life. I'm happier that way. Don't bring me down...... Bruce!

Would say its a more positive reaction than the last couple of years! People love to have a bit of a moan, doesn't really matter once you're there though.

6 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

On here, I feel the majority of the people seem pleased and positive about the line up. I am!

7 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

The problem with being on here is that we're a bit spoilt in knowing a lot of the artists before hand. That and expectations and diverse music taste doesn't help either. Also like you said, people just like to moan about something. 'Why isn't this one act here, but yet heres 10 acts i've been wanting to see' Also, when you go to more than 1 festival a year and a bunch of gigs, the artists at these festivals can be seen elsewhere. 

29 minutes ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

Sigur Ros will be great and a few others will be cool but still feel the lineup is curated by a team of people who just react to what is currently mainstream and popular rather than setting the trend or go slightly leftfield. Compare it to Primavera and it's pretty laughable.

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch.

They've released 60 names. In June the lineup will be broader and deeper than most festivals put together, including Primavera.

Sigur Ros will be great and a few others will be cool but still feel the lineup is curated by a team of people who just react to what is currently mainstream and popular rather than setting the trend or go slightly leftfield. Compare it to Primavera and it's pretty laughable.

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch.

The demographic of Glastonbury attendees is far, far broader than Primavera's relatively narrow quadrant of the market. This line-up had a far better chance of keeping a broad spectrum of people happy than it would if it was solely comprised of Pitchfork acts.

Plenty of 'young' acts on the bill - Foals, Disclosure, TLSP, Ellie Goulding, Skepta, The 1975, Grimes, Lapsley, Blossoms, Jake Bugg, TDCC, Dua Lipa, Years & Years, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, Hinds, AlunaGeorge, Jack Garratt, Lady Leshurr, BMTH, Nao, Little Simz, Stormzy....   

So I don't accept criticism that it's a middle-aged lineup.  Sure, you've also got your ELOs and Art Garfunkels but that's always been part of the beauty of Glastonbury's lineup.  It caters to a wide audience and doesn't patronisingly assume that young people only like new bands.

1 minute ago, 6t6o6m said:

On here, I feel the majority of the people seem pleased and positive about the line up. I am!

You're probably right. Let some of the negativity get the better of me there. I have just had a quick count from the poster.... There's 24 acts I'd love to see on it. And plenty I've never heard of but will form a view before June. So excited. Thanks for pointing that out, it helped.

Sign me up. I think this is a very balanced line-up and as such I'm a fan. Pyramid headliners are still naff but on the whole there are a lot of acts I want to catch over the weekend. It doesn't feel particularly top-heavy and spans a load of different genres/demographics, which should be par for the course at Glastonbury.

I knew about/expected a fair few of them, but new additions I'm personally excited for: Beck, LCD Soundsystem, Grimes, Earth Wind and Fire, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, Foals, John Grant, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, ZZ Top, New Order.

Edited by SonOfTroyMcClure