2016 Line Up Poster

wozwebs

1 minute ago, SonOfTroyMcClure said:

Correct but they were (inexplicably) a proper "buzz" band last year and the set fell flat due to the weather. Wouldn't be too shocked to see them booked for a second attempt, considering there's a new album on the way and they're still (inexplicably) fairly "buzz"-y.

Glastonbury never books the same band for the main stages twice in a row, short of either crazy extenuating circumstances (like a set being cut short by a lightning storm) or a massive bump in popularity moving them from Park/JP to Pyramid.

I can't think of a single example of a band playing Other or Pyramid coming back and playing (a main stage)* the following year.

*before someone points out GCWCF did Pyramid then Leftfield on consecutive years or some such.

Actually there is one exception but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader...

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

Sigur Ros will be great and a few others will be cool but still feel the lineup is curated by a team of people who just react to what is currently mainstream and popular rather than setting the trend or go slightly leftfield. Compare it to Primavera and it's pretty laughable.

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch.

I get what you mean, and broadly agree based on this poster. But I always feel this way when the first poster comes out and by the time the full line up is released I'm always happy.

My wish list includes

• Ben Folds
  • Divine Comedy
  • Beans on Toast
  • Gaz Brookfield
  • Sam Duckworth / Get Cape Wear Cape Fly / Recreations
  • Ben Marwood
  • Retrospective Soundtrack Players
  • Chris TT
  • Nick Parker
  • The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing

I fully expect to see at least three of those ten, probably more, added to the line up. But yeah, plenty of it is damn obscure unless you're in to that sort of thing. But not being on the first publicity poster doesn't mean it's not there.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Glastonbury never books the same band for the main stages twice in a row, short of either crazy extenuating circumstances (like a set being cut short by a lightning storm) or a massive bump in popularity moving them from Park/JP to Pyramid.

I can't think of a single example of a band playing Other or Pyramid coming back and playing (a main stage)* the following year.

*before someone points out GCWCF did Pyramid then Leftfield on consecutive years or some such.

Actually there is one exception but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader...

Years & Years?

Happy to see a fair chunk of the line-up before balance payment - that's nice.

Always at this stage I look at other festivals (like http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/line-up) and hope some of them will wander over (except McCartney!!).

2016 will be a year of new music for me - exploring lots of new bands - which is pretty good. Have had some fab experiences turning up to a recommendation before now. Probably better than rushing from one stage to the next to see the must-sees!

23 minutes ago, SonOfTroyMcClure said:

Me either! Was just something people had spotted on Twitter.

As for Catfish - don't do anything for me BUT they were royally screwed by the weather last year. I wouldn't be stunned to see them in the second batch of announcements....maybe on the John Peel this time.

That said, Glasto might be waiting until next year after the second album has dropped.

their second album is out in May.

they're playing in Bristol on the Saturday, so I'm quite surprised they're not on the poster.

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Jake Bugg? Or does that count as an extenuating circumstance?

The Vaccines did 2011 and 2013 but I would imagine that doesn't count due to 2012 being a fallow year.

Edited by SonOfTroyMcClure

Just now, FloorFiller said:

huge bump in popularity moved from JP to Other no doubt - my ex girlfriend went to see them last year and said the tent was stupidly rammed due to them taking off massively between being announced and playing

I missed the massive bump in popularity comment. I will be seeing them this year, really like the album.

Will make the effort for: - Beck, New Order, ELO, Bastille, Cyndi Lauper, Muse, Foals, Blossoms, PJ Harvey, James

Will watch if I'm in the right place/right time: - Art Garfunkel, Savages, John Grant, Richard Hawley, Hinds.

May not seem like it, but from the first poster this is a lot for me.  It's usually between 6-10 in total.

Biggest surprise & delight - Cyndi Lauper.  My better half (Glasto Virgin) is going and loves her.  Biggest surprise omission - Tame Impala.  Thought they'd be nailed on.

if we look back at last year's line up poster...

v13.jpg

The middle column was Pyramid only, whereas this year's poster definitely has some acts that have to be on the Other/elsewhere. So I don't think we can necessarily take the placement of the Chemical Brothers, Deadmau5 and Rudimental last year to think that BMTH are still Other headliners, I really feel if they were they'd be in the middle column of this years if they were. That's what I'm hoping anyway, as I'd quite like to see them and Coldplay! Maybe they could be a John Peel headliner instead? Subbing the Other would do me fine too.

That said, the order of the middle column on this year's poster is really confusing! As we know that PJ isn't headlining the Other, yet she's higher up on the page than New Order. Making me think it's completely random and has been done purely to confuse us all!

Edited by paulmuchmore

My ones to watch, providing I get a resale ticket!

BMTH, Muse, Foals, New Order, Cyndi Lauper, M83, James Blake, TDCC, LCD sound system, Disclosure. But I know I'll only manage to see about 3 of them.

eill also get dragged to a few that the missus wants to see, but that won't be all bad, nobody there i would begrudgingly sit through providing they don't clash with one of my major highlights