2016 Line Up Poster

wozwebs

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, smiley33 said:

I love Glastonbury and I'm going to miss it this year but not paying my balance next week is a lot easier now.  I'm the first to say it's not about the music blah blah blah but this really is poor...I can't justify spending all that money and taking time off work to do it. End of. Next year hopefully will be different.  To be in the same field as coldplay and muse AGAIN is like dragging nails down a blackboard. 

I never understand comments like this.

Nobody is forcing you to watch Coldplay or Muse. There's over 100 stages and so many things to do and explore if there's nothing you'd like to watch at any given moment. Glastonbury is so vastly unlike the likes of Reading & Leeds that I'd still probably buy a ticket even if there was not a single band I liked on the first poster.

5 minutes ago, smiley33 said:

why is this baffling?!

Because you can just walk into a different field and watch someone else.

However the festival booking Coldplay and Muse again is also baffling.

Regarding the lineup (so far!), it looks like they nicked half the acts from some bad Jools Holland New Years Eve special. 

Edited by The Nal

6 minutes ago, smiley33 said:

Last year was great - my best year was 2004 and I'm gutted I'm not going but it's not giving me a tickle. That's all. At least I'm putting my ticket back into the pile for someone else to have. 

Fair play to you

3 minutes ago, Monkey Boy 44 said:

It's people that make comments like this that don't understand Glastonbury.

What does that mean? People are entitled to enjoy the festival whatever way they want. If its mainly for the music and they don't like the lineup and decide not to go thats completely fair enough. 

11 minutes ago, Jackmypie said:

it's a shame they didn't get a huge Sunday legend like Lionel or Dolly. Still there's so much more than the line up, hopefully a lot more people will throw their ticket in so I can get one in April !

Pretty sure ELO are quite legendary

2 hours ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

Sigur Ros will be great and a few others will be cool but still feel the lineup is curated by a team of people who just react to what is currently mainstream and popular rather than setting the trend or go slightly leftfield. Compare it to Primavera and it's pretty laughable.

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch.

Bearing in mind how many acts Gbury is sharing with Primavera, this is a pretty silly post.

Especially since Glasto has just added Adele/Muse/Coldplay on top of the Primavera line-up.

My first impression plans, from the poster:

Overall - bloody WOW!

Must sees
Explosions in the Sky
Sigur Rós
Floating Points

Would expect to see unless unable to:
John Grant
Carl Cox
PJ Harvey
Grimes
M83
Mac DeMarco

Would try to see/would happily see if it works out:
Daughter
Beck
ELO
Underworld
Churches
Mercury Rev
St. Etienne

:)

Ben

I am personally baffled by the negative comments.

I suspect what is happening is people are reading a list of names, many of which they simply don't know and assume they won't enjoy them / or they're shit.

With a line-up that includes Kamasi Washington, ELO, Ronnie Spector and Ernest Ranglin, how can anyone say it's like V (or indeed any other festival?)

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

What does that mean? People are entitled to enjoy the festival whatever way they want. If its mainly for the music and they don't like the lineup and decide not to go thats completely fair enough. 

It is fair enough, I agree.
My point was in agreement with rpfranks that complaining about headliners when there is so much choice, is the bit that is misunderstood.
I wasn't looking for an argument.

This will be my 2nd year. There are definitely less acts shouting out to me than last years poster. Adele, ELO, madness and ZZ Top are my only unmissable

If the times are as I'm expecting I'll be torn between Coldplay (never seen, heard great reviews) and Earth, Wind and Fire (probably my one chance to see them).

I know I'll make plenty of discoveries before then and if I spend less time at the Pyramid than last year I'll be happy. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Boy 44 said:

It is fair enough, I agree.
My point was in agreement with rpfranks that complaining about headliners when there is so much choice, is the bit that is misunderstood.
I wasn't looking for an argument.

Either was I, agree with you too. Theres always another stage! 

3 hours ago, cdm22 said:

Savages, Daughter, John Grant, Explosions in the Sky, Hinds, Muse, Beck, ELO, PJHarvey, ZZ Top, New Order, Grimes, Sigur Ros, Chvrches, M83, Kurt Vile, Mercury Rev, Wolf Alice, Bat for Lashes, Of Monsters & Men will do for now! :D

Oh, and James as pointed out below!

I've just realised that Damon Albarn will be with The Syrian National Orchestra as playing Festival Hall too and was considering buying a ticket for that when it was announced, so thats another for the list to see :)

This is going to be a busy year!

Edited by cdm22

Best 1st poster since I've been going (2014). The list of acts I'd struggle to miss is very long! 

Shame about Tame Impala but I can't complain as there's so much else to see already. I also expected Beach House but they might be announced later so I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I am personally baffled by the negative comments.

I suspect what is happening is people are reading a list of names, many of which they simply don't know and assume they won't enjoy them / or they're shit.

With a line-up that includes Kamasi Washington, ELO, Ronnie Spector and Ernest Ranglin, how can anyone say it's like V (or indeed any other festival?)

don't take it personally...it really wasn't meant to be a day of pissing people off with me saying oh look, coldplay again, muse again, annie mac again, fatboy slim again, james blake again...each to their own - have a good day peeps 

Sigur Ros will be great and a few others will be cool but still feel the lineup is curated by a team of people who just react to what is currently mainstream and popular rather than setting the trend or go slightly leftfield. Compare it to Primavera and it's pretty laughable.

It's like the lineup has been chosen by a middle aged wedding DJ, choosing what he thinks is cool yet being really out of touch.

Who from the Primavera would you like at Glasto? Because a lot of the first set on that poster are on the Glasto poster as well as a bunch from the 2nd set. Not including if you look at the SR and TBC's that adds another bunch. 

All I would say, people making a list of 6-7 "must-sees" (especially at this stage), in my experience, plans and must sees/do's fall by the wayside the minute I walk through those gates on the Wednesday morning. For that reason I try not to plan a thing these days. Dunno it that's the same for anyone else? 

You having a laugh mate?....it's a portion of the Primavera lineup and already pisses it!

42 minutes ago, smiley33 said:

Awful line up....been going since early 2000's - I won't be going this year...Disclosure (again) Muse (again, again) Coldplay (again) Annie Mac (again) Foals (again again) yawn....there's loads more I can't be bothered to type out...very disappointed and yes I know it's not all about the headliners or whatever but this really is a pile of shit. It's getting like V and that is not a good thing.  

Anybody want my ticket?

of course, there were no repeat acts in the early 2000s, or any year since then, or any year before that.

the lineup is always full of repeat acts, as most bands do the festival circuit when they have new material.

bizarre point TBH.

I love both Primavera and Glastonbury but there is no point in comparing them as they are entirely different festivals. Glastonbury has a much broader genre span and is a much bigger festival. If you're really into the Primavera line up go there instead.