Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wash your mouth out with soap. It's my favourite venue. Although to be fair, I've never been to Albert Hall or the Deaf Institute, which I hear are great.

Still a million times better than Night+Day on the smaller side or the arena. I do like Apollo, but I bloody love Gorilla. Possibly the best gig of my life seeing Hot Chip.

I'm not a fan of Gorilla. Air con is too Loud and the space just doesn't work for me. 

Best venues in Manc are the Deaf Institute, Soup Kitchen and Gullivers. Albert Hall is decent but beer is expensive and the toilets are a trek. The Ritz is a great mid size venue as well. That would be my preferred venue for AF. 

Edited by DDave

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Lived in Manchester for ten years, but it seems all the best venues have opened after I left - Albert Hall, Gorilla, yes, Islington Mill…

I did go to see Chic at the WHP at Victoria Warehouse a few years ago and it was comfortably the worst venue I’ve ever been to. 

I was there. Dangerously oversold. One of the best line ups I've seen and spoiled by greedy promotors trying to squeeze as many people as possible. Could have gone really wrong that night. 

8 hours ago, mcshed said:

I used to live in Bristol and the Academy there is nowhere near as bad as the Edinburgh Corn Exchange, truly the worst venue in the country.

Not been to either but Southampton Guildhall which is an Academy is a absolutely appalling venue and comfortably the worst one I have been to.

36 minutes ago, DDave said:

I was there. Dangerously oversold. One of the best line ups I've seen and spoiled by greedy promotors trying to squeeze as many people as possible. Could have gone really wrong that night. 

Yeah I remember leaving the main room to go to the bar and toilet and not being able to get back in as it was too packed. Had to watch Chic on my own peering through the doorway from the main foyer.

Fucking weak.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

44 minutes ago, benali said:

Not been to either but Southampton Guildhall which is an Academy is a absolutely appalling venue and comfortably the worst one I have been to.

The ghastly Edinburgh Corn Exchange has in the last year taken the O2 dollar and is now the Edinburgh Academy, they promised to sort the sound system out when they took over but I've not had any reason to go since so no idea if that's helped. Even if they improve the sound it'll still be a soulless giant shoebox.

To get this back on topic Arcade Fire, I thoroughly enjoyed their turn at the aforementioned Bristol Academy back in 2005, fantastic gig. Shout out to Owen Pallet as support and going walkabout through the crowd, it's night like that which mean I can't feel too down on the place whereas the Corn Exchange has only ever provided a mediocre night out.

Confused why this thread is still going .. but anyway.. imagine how I felt on the Wednesday at Primavera Sound festival in Barcelona.. walking back to our digs.. hearing not one, not two tunes by the lovely Arcade Fire.. but OH FFS The Fire were doing a surprise gig.. 

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

The ghastly Edinburgh Corn Exchange has in the last year taken the O2 dollar and is now the Edinburgh Academy, they promised to sort the sound system out when they took over but I've not had any reason to go since so no idea if that's helped. Even if they improve the sound it'll still be a soulless giant shoebox.

Was in there on Monday. No real substantive difference to the previous regime.  Sound was fine, but the problem has always been the long bar queues, low roof and shonky sightlines.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was in there on Monday. No real substantive difference to the previous regime.  Sound was fine, but the problem has always been the long bar queues, low roof and shonky sightlines.

The sound was shit at the back, but that's probably more to do with the acoustic qualities of a shoe box than the PA. So I'm unconvinced it'll be any better.

12 hours ago, zero000 said:

I see you’ve never been to Bristol Academy then. Genuinely so bad it puts me off seeing any gigs there. 

Lived in Manchester a while ago and I’m always envious of the venues you guys have up there. Shout out to the Ritz too which I’ve always found to be good. 

Yep, I'll not be accepting any 'worst venue ever shouts' from anyone who hasn't had to endure Bristol 02 Academy

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:15 AM, dentalplan said:

“The attendance today for Arcade Fire at Wembley Arena is 30,661!”

*gentle applause*

Be a bit like they do at a football match tbf.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:36 PM, Simpo said:

Would have worked well alongside their ringwalk intro they did on the last tour

Might've been more awkward at some of the less-full US dates to do that tbf.

That intro was still cool, mind. I was stood by where they were walked into the venue when I went to my Wembley date and thought it was quite a good way at getting around the obstacle of how to get the band into a venue on a 360 date (or almost 360 at Wembley given no stand at the end where the doors are).

Just now, charlierc said:

Alright, fair hit.

Though tbf at least you'd imagine it wouldn't be like what happens at some football matches with people merrily going "They're here, they're there, every fucking where, empty seats"

I went to Victoria Warehouse and chanted "whaaat a fuuuucking shithole!".