Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Because those bands still have lots of people who enjoy seeing them live and, quite importantly, you don't pick the lineup.

I don’t get this at all. You can like an act and not think they are a Glastonbury headliner. Sometimes this place is like stan Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Interesting - I’ve bolded similar to you but not much different 

Headliners since the 10s:
Goriliaz, Stevie Wonder, Muse, U2, Beyonce, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons, Arcade FireKasabian, Metallica, Foo Fighters, The Who, Kanye West, Adele, Radiohead, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure.

The majority of the headliners they’ve booked in the 10’s have been genuinely gigantic acts who even if they aren’t doing stadiums right now could probably wing one if they tried. I know 2019 was a weaker trio but in the past 10 or so years of the festival the majority of the headliners they’ve booked are still probably top of their game.

Which is exactly what I said, to you saying that people from the 10s would just be back for nostalgia purposes. Lets go for the 2000s

David Bowie, Travis, Chemical Brothers(have been back), Coldplay, Rod Steward, Stereophonics, REM, Radiohead, Moby, Oasis, McCartney, Muse, White Stripes, Basement Jaxx (last minute replacement), Jay Z, The Verve, Kings of Leon, Neil Young, Springsteen, Blur.

Rod Stewart I only ever see coming back in a 'legends' slot. Still not many. Again I just can't see many of these coming back. 

10 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

They won’t be at Glastonbury but I’m sure we’ll see them back headlining all the usual big European festivals next summer like Primavera, Rock Werchter, NOS Alive etc. I’m not sure where they’ll end up in the UK, All Points East seems the obvious home for them but I could see them doing a night at Finsbury Park or maybe even BST with a very strong support.

They’d be a massive Latitude headliner.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I don’t get this at all. You can like an act and not think they are a Glastonbury headliner. Sometimes this place is like stan Twitter.

You just bolded 4 acts out of 21. Thats a small percentage to say more acts will be back from the 2010s. I think sometimes you just say statements without saying anything to back it up.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Which is exactly what I said, to you saying that people from the 10s would just be back for nostalgia purposes. Lets go for the 2000s

David Bowie, Travis, Chemical Brothers(have been back), Coldplay, Rod Steward, Stereophonics, REM, Radiohead, Moby, Oasis, McCartney, Muse, White Stripes, Basement Jaxx (last minute replacement), Jay Z, The Verve, Kings of Leon, Neil Young, Springsteen, Blur.

Rod Stewart I only ever see coming back in a 'legends' slot. Still not many. Again I just can't see many of these coming back. 

I bolded the Verve, Moby and Neil Young. Could see them returning to a non-headline position. 

I bolded the Verve, Moby and Neil Young. Could see them returning to a non-headline position. 

The Verve haven't done anything since 2009 not even for the 20th anniversary for Urban Hymns. 

Again, these people might do it, but I can't see why they would do it. Neil Young has nothing to gain from coming back to sub headline the pyramid.  

Edited by chazwwe

I don’t get why. Any band that had their peak in the 00s/ early 10s and has been plateauing since shouldn’t be kept as headliners because of nostalgia. I don’t like the case that once you’re a headliner you’re a headliner for life no matter how your career goes.

So long as Arcade Fire are getting number one albums and selling out arenas, which they almost certainly will, they are headliners.

Bands career arc is typically longer than the pop artists boom and bust type trajectory. They usually build up their following more slowly and have a kind of fairly well defined sound that keeps their fans coming back down the years.

Whereas with pop music, like fast fashion and basically everything else in this late capitalism era, chart music feverishly coalesces around the next short lived trend and then moves on. So its much more difficult for pop acts to stay relevant. The ones who do so are those who are willing and able to adapt to whatever the latest fad is and churn out stuff in that vein.

Otherwise they just end up on some sad tour of student union freshers nights with assorted other former pop stars for the price of a tenner and a free j-bomb.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The post I quoted was you saying "why can't headliners come back lower?" which isn't a complaint against what we (the stans) think but what the festival actually does. The last one to come back lower was Manics or someone like that a million years ago - a British band who were taking non-headline slots while headlining Glastonbury. If it happened all the time then people may be receptive but it's just your fantasy at the moment.

And, as always, you've pulled the old "hey, I'm objective - you're delusional!" like you haven't just claimed to be the one true mind that knows the way of the Glastonbury lineup and are often caught plotting a festival shaped by your own ideals.

• Upvote 1

First half I wasn't keen on but they kill the transitions every time. I pre-ordered the vinyl and there's only 7? tracks on the record but looks like the end of the first side will be a lengthy track. It's been so long could we rule out them putting out another release within the year?

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

So long as Arcade Fire are getting number one albums and selling out arenas, which they almost certainly will, they are headliners.

Bands career arc is typically longer than the pop artists boom and bust type trajectory. They usually build up their following more slowly and have a kind of fairly well defined sound that keeps their fans coming back down the years.

Whereas with pop music, like fast fashion and basically everything else in this late capitalism era, chart music feverishly coalesces around the next short lived trend and then moves on. So its much more difficult for pop acts to stay relevant. The ones who do so are those who are willing and able to adapt to whatever the latest fad is and churn out stuff in that vein.

Otherwise they just end up on some sad tour of student union freshers nights with assorted other former pop stars for the price of a tenner and a free j-bomb.

Christ 😂

Just now, kaytee... said:

First half I wasn't keen on but they kill the transitions every time. I pre-ordered the vinyl and there's only 7? tracks on the record but looks like the end of the first side will be a lengthy track. It's been so long could we rule out them putting out another release within the year?

They said they spent a longer time than ever creating it and it's turned out to be their shortest record. I don't feel like they're readying another release - it seems like this one might have really took it out of them if they're losing bandmembers (if only in a 'live band' sense) along the way. They did cut Generation A off the album but that seems like it'll be forever a loosie - created for the time it was played - rather than a holdover to the next album.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The post I quoted was you saying "why can't headliners come back lower?" which isn't a complaint against what we (the stans) think but what the festival actually does. The last one to come back lower was Manics or someone like that a million years ago - a British band who were taking non-headline slots while headlining Glastonbury. If it happened all the time then people may be receptive but it's just your fantasy at the moment.

And, as always, you've pulled the old "hey, I'm objective - you're delusional!" like you haven't just claimed to be the one true mind that knows the way of the Glastonbury lineup and are often caught plotting a festival shaped by your own ideals.

The last Pyramid headliners to come back in a lower slot were Travis and The Chemical Brothers, over 20 years ago in 2000. It just doesn’t happen at all really. 

59 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I personally think in the 20s we will see more acts step down from headline positions to return. It’s happens eventually. 

Well, you do know best about where the festival is heading. It’s happening guys, U2 headlining The Other is 2023, Arctic Monkeys are in the John Peel. 

Edited by The Martini Police

Yay! It's good!

Familiar but different, which is what I like out of my favourite bands. While it's not hook-laden like singles from the last two eras, I immediately warmed to it, and I reckon it'll be their most cohesive sounding record since The Suburbs.

Also seems less suited to a visual theme for their live shows, a thing we've come to expect from AF, but you never know what they've got up their sleeves. Just from the sound of this one song, maybe setlists will be lighter on Reflektor and Everything Now stuff. Although they were fantastic at putting all sorts of different songs in their sets last time round, to be fair.

Not interested in the debate around size, headliner suitability if I'm honest. I got to see my favourite band headline the Pyramid Stage on the first Friday of my first Glastonbury,everything else is a footnote.

I can well see them doing some surprise last minute UK shows again. They went to Blackpool for Reflektor, bloody Sc**thorpe for Everything Now, I'd be well up for one of them, leading to a full tour announcement.

The Will situation is a funny one. As they've not said anything, I'm taking it as a sign that they're leaving the door open for him to come on tour, but are ready to go on without him. Maybe that's part of his issue, if he feels limited in what he does in the band. Especially as he's produced a healthy amount of solo music now.

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

😂😂😂 Jaysus Matt, that’s up there with Trump might win California. The only non “headline” slot Neil Young plays if he ever comes back to the festival is the legends slot. He’s on the top line of the poster whenever he shows up. Fwiw, if Arcade Fire come back, they’re headlining too (and every other festival they play for the foreseeable future…they have more than enough credit in the bank to guarantee that)…there were plenty of toys thrown from prams when Kid A was released (a masterpiece), Pop didn’t kill U2 (not a masterpiece!), no reason Everything Now (underrated) needs to with Arcade Fire.