Arcade Fire

Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Have I missed something? How come Will is staying away.

Apparently he’s still listed as a member of the band on their promo shit but he doesn’t seem to be involved in their live shows or video shoots (so far, anyway). Maybe he’s just taken a step back from main duties for now. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Apparently he’s still listed as a member of the band on their promo shit but he doesn’t seem to be involved in their live shows or video shoots (so far, anyway). Maybe he’s just taken a step back from main duties for now. 

Aye pitchfork article still has him down as a main band member and makes the effort to distinguish the band from those touring with them like Sarah Neufeld: 

https://pitchfork.com/news/arcade-fire-announce-new-album-we-share-video-for-new-song-the-lightning-i-ii-watch/

Dab up for Will. 

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Y’know, that new song(s) is hardly anything mind blowing or particularly new for them, but damn does it give me all kinds of nostalgic feels to back when I was first really getting in to them in the lead up to and release of The Suburbs. For all the stick I’ve given them on here over the last couple of years, it sure does feel great to have them back. 

I do agree and I admit it is a good avenue.

People will have seen me saying that they should just make whatever they want and fuck the naysayers and Everything Now was actually great (it was) but a lot of the fans are getting to the age where we're looking back fondly at such a period in our lives hearing those songs for the first time and yeah, maybe treading old ground is a good thing. The tracklist suggests they're doing it in an interesting way as well.

What you're feeling is what I expect a lot of fans will be feeling. While it's not their boldest statement, it should give most of us the warm fuzzies. Total heritage band move but they're nearly twenty years down the road now. It should bring people back in who might have rejected Everything Now and Reflektor, and I think their next tour will be more popular than the last.

Besides, they kinda jumped on the indie rock Springsteen thing before anyone else, rose up the lineups and then ditched it for others to play with. Might as well come back and get what's theirs.

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Them being the missing sub headliner would make my year, but I just can't see it happening. The change over between Arcade Fire > Billie or > Kendrick would be insane. 

No weirder than Nick Cave under Mumford 

Just now, chazwwe said:

Them being the missing sub headliner would make my year, but I just can't see it happening. The change over between Arcade Fire > Billie or > Kendrick would be insane. 

As @FloorFiller said, they're at a place where they might not be the first port of call for Pyramid headliner but they're still gonna be chosen to headline plenty of other festivals so it'll just mean they don't play Glastonbury for a while. Stepping down the bill this year, or in the near future, is pretty much out of the equation.

Arguably, nostalgia and their acknowledgement of it will drive up their demand like it does with most artists along a twenty-year cycle. Like when Bono put away Mr. Macphisto and when Bruce got rid of the "Other" Band. I could see them headlining again in the next ten years but probably towards the later half of that period (if they stick around, which I doubt).

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As @FloorFiller said, they're at a place where they might not be the first port of call for Pyramid headliner but they're still gonna be chosen to headline plenty of other festivals so it'll just mean they don't play Glastonbury for a while. Stepping down the bill this year, or in the near future, is pretty much out of the equation.

Arguably, nostalgia and their acknowledgement of it will drive up their demand like it does with most artists along a twenty-year cycle. Like when Bono put away Mr. Macphisto and when Bruce got rid of the "Other" Band. I could see them headlining again in the next ten years but probably towards the later half of that period (if they stick around, which I doubt).

Oh totally I'm on the 'headliner or nothing' side as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a surprise Park slot on a tour if they're in the UK over the weekend, other than that I doubt they'll be back, very happy that I was there for my first Glastonbury though.

18 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

AF > Kendrick would be one of the greatest 1-2s the festival has ever pulled out.

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Nick Cave isn't a former headliner. So we bring in the question, when was the last time a Pyramid headliner sub headlined the festival. I would also rank Arcade Fire as more popular than Nick. 

I personally think in the 20s we will see more acts step down from headline positions to return. It’s happens eventually. 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I personally think in the 20s we will see more acts step down from headline positions to return. It’s happens eventually. 

I mean, I personally can't, I can't see anyone since at least 2002 that would be back and taking a lower slot. MAYBE Kasabian at a push due to line up change and maybe Mumford and Sons if one of them wasn't crazy. 

I would love to hear who you think would step down from the past 10 years of headliners

Edited by chazwwe

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

I mean, I personally can't, I can't see anyone since at least 2002 that would be back and taking a lower slot. MAYBE Kasabian at a push. 

I don’t get why. Any band that had their peak in the 00s/ early 10s and has been plateauing since shouldn’t be kept as headliners because of nostalgia. I don’t like the case that once you’re a headliner you’re a headliner for life no matter how your career goes.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t get why. Any band that had their peak in the 00s/ early 10s and has been plateauing since shouldn’t be kept as headliners because of nostalgia. I don’t like the case that once you’re a headliner you’re a headliner for life no matter how your career goes.

I edited to ask but, who over the past 20 years, outside of a few acts that have already come back and moved down the line up or could maybe do the Legends slot do you think would be back to sub headline? 

Especially since 2010, most the acts since 2010 are stadium sell out artists, nothing to do with not being a headliner anymore.  

Headliners since the 10s:
Goriliaz, Stevie Wonder, Muse, U2, Beyonce, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, Metallica, Foo Fighters, The Who, Kanye West, Adele, Radiohead, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure.

The bolded I would think could come back and not headline. 

Edited by chazwwe

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because those bands still have lots of people who enjoy seeing them live and, quite importantly, you don't pick the lineup.

They won’t be at Glastonbury but I’m sure we’ll see them back headlining all the usual big European festivals next summer like Primavera, Rock Werchter, NOS Alive etc. I’m not sure where they’ll end up in the UK, All Points East seems the obvious home for them but I could see them doing a night at Finsbury Park or maybe even BST with a very strong support.

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I edited to ask but, who over the past 20 years, outside of a few acts that have already come back and moved down the line up or could maybe do the Legends slot do you think would be back to sub headline? 

Especially since 2010, most the acts since 2010 are stadium sell out artists, nothing to do with not being a headliner anymore.  

Goriliaz, Stevie Wonder, Muse, U2, Beyonce, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, Metallica, Foo Fighters, The Who, Kanye West, Adele, Radiohead, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure.

The bolded I would think could come back and not headline. 

Interesting - I’ve bolded similar to you but not much different 

Goriliaz, Stevie Wonder, Muse, U2, Beyonce, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons, Arcade FireKasabian, Metallica, Foo Fighters, The Who, Kanye West, Adele, Radiohead, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure.

The majority of the headliners they’ve booked in the 10’s have been genuinely gigantic acts who even if they aren’t doing stadiums right now could probably wing one if they tried. I know 2019 was a weaker trio but in the past 10 or so years of the festival the majority of the headliners they’ve booked are still probably top of their game.