Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Yeah mate, that's how it works.All the people who were there were wrong and you,the armchair pundit who can't understand a really basic concept like TV coverage being misrepresentative,were right. Hats off to you.

Haha quality

The Stones were exceptional. Maybe the greatest gig I've seen on that stage or anywhere else. Not necessarily because of them, but because of the crowd. The whole thing was a musical event that will be talked about by those who were there for years. Who cares if it didn't look great on TV, if you were there it was incredible.

(And I thought Primal Scream were really poor. Bad ordering of setlist meant the gig fell flat.

When Bobby has to ask the crowd if the band are doing OK, and then asks them if they want to commit suicide you know its not going well.)

Yeah mate, that's how it works.All the people who were there were wrong and you,the armchair pundit who can't understand a really basic concept like TV coverage being misrepresentative,were right. Hats off to you.

All my likes for this comment.

We were trying to get into The Pyramid field through our usual route at the top right with about half an hour to go and it was just crazy, so in the end we just turned and went back up the hill and sat with loads of others amongst the tents which were clinging limpet like on the steep slope way above The Mandela Bar. We had a laugh up there though, the older ones teaching the youngsters the moves like Jagger, and cheers going up every time another set of people got up to dance. We ventured down after about an hour and got to our usual spot just behind the back right speaker, and really enjoyed the 2nd half of the set, where many of those who had been in for the beginning were starting to wilt.

I didn't know what to expect, but genuinely thought they sounded great, not just 'considering' how old they are, but genuinely great. Even with all the difficulties surrounding it as a live experience for us, I felt that they stormed it.

Nothing more to add about how good they were really. Just incredible.

Thought the Phoenix on the Pyramid was a bit strange though. Excepted much more as they'd been working on it and tweaking it for weeks before and during. It didn't even come out as a big finale or anything .. Just through Sympathy For The Devil is I remember correctly?

It was impressive dont get me wrong .. Just seemed a bit underused for the effort. I expected it to fly out and for them all to enter stage on it or something!!

Edited by st dan

Being there on saturday night was one of those memories that will last a lifetime and I was half way back for half of it and right at the back with the family for the rest.

I don't need to give a critical review of their performance, I just know I absolutely fucking loved every single second of it! :P

Being there on saturday night was one of those memories that will last a lifetime and I was half way back for half of it and right at the back with the family for the rest.

I don't need to give a critical review of their performance, I just know I absolutely fucking loved every single second of it! :P

i couldn't agree more!

Absolutely blew my mind! They sounded great, had great energy, Keith played some of the right notes at the right time, Mick Taylor played all of the right notes at the right time, Mick was engaging and, whisper it under your breath, Charlie was smiling!!

Was it the best feel-good headlining set ever on the Pyramid?

Stones in '13 or Blur in '09?

Incidentally, McCartney is no longer in the reckoning.

Edited by jimmyt

Just home to Dublin.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! :O

They nailed it. Nailed it. One of the greatest gigs I've ever seen. Just watched some of it back with my old man on TV and was shivering like a fool with the very last of my Glasto energy. 48 hours later. Speechless.

It was edgy, dangerous, organic, fun, rocking, loud, beautiful.... Fully deserve the title of the greatest rock and roll band ever. I'm so glad I was there to see it. So, so glad. Beyond my wildest expectations. Blown away.

What a setlist! Weeping Jesus on the cross!

• Jumpin’ Jack Flash
  • It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
  • Paint It Black
  • Gimme Shelter
  • Glastonbury Girl
  • Wild Horses
  • Doom And Gloom
  • Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
  • Honky Tonk Women
  • You Got The Silver (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
  • Happy (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
  • Miss You
  • Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
  • 2000 Light Years From Home
  • Sympathy For The Devil
  • Start Me Up
  • Tumbling Dice
  • Brown Sugar

Encore

• You Can’t Always Get What You Want (with the Voce Choir and members of the London Youth Choir)
  • (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)
Edited by The Nal

The clip of Glastonbury Girl was on YouTube last night, can't find it now. But - here are the lyrics (to tune of Factory Girl):

Waiting for a girl she was wearing cut-off jeans

Waiting for a girl and her wellies were bright green

I met her pee-ing in the stream

Waiting for my Glastonbury Girl

Gave her all my wet wipes washed off all her dirt

Lit her up a cigarette I gave her my clean shirt

Offered her my luxury yurt

Waiting for a Glastonbury Girl

Waiting on a hill sucking a balloon

Waiting for a girl gonna sing a high-pitched tune

I aint slept since Wednesday afternoon

Waiting for my Glastonbury Girl

Waiting for a girl helped her put up her tee-pee

Waiting for a girl she took all my ecstasy

Now she's off with Primal Scream

Waiting for a Glastonbury Girl

Still waiting for my Glastonbury Girl

Must've been a great moment :)

It was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByyOn7Js9CQ

Edit: CG - Couldn't agree more. My missus said the same.

Edited by The Nal

Just looking at the Stones again on iPlayer. Thought they were fantastic - I have seen them a few times over the past few years and this was the best performance I have seen IMO. (Someone next to me said they had seen them 32 times and he put this performance in his top 5). Great to see Mick Taylor get a prominent slot. Great to see Mick Jagger interacting more with this audience. Long may they reign!

I'm glad I'm in the minority here, its good to hear that the vast majority seemed to think they nailed it. The papers seem to back it up as well. Just gutted from where I was standing it was a quiet underwhelming bore for the most part.

The amount of hugging happening in the pit had to be seen to be believed. There was clothing coming off all over the place.

Got into the pit, just, but was too packed so I left. Well before the show. Got a lovely spot just to the left of the soundstage in front of the left screen. The missus could even see.

I'm glad I'm in the minority here, its good to hear that the vast majority seemed to think they nailed it. The papers seem to back it up as well. Just gutted from where I was standing it was a quiet underwhelming bore for the most part.

Mate of mine text me after Gimme Shelter saying the same. He moved back and the sound was perfect.