Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

went with low expectations but it was perhaps the best gig ive ever seen. I was pretty far back and the atomosphere there was electric - not seen a big crowd so into a set maybe ever. When the pheonix came out it was probably the best moment of any gig I've ever seen

I've been going to see The Stones since 1990 and was terrified that my favourite band in my favourite place was never going to live up to what I wanted.

I still can't find words for the complete euphoria I experienced, that shit really happened.

Staggering.

Roll on Hyde Park this Saturday.

I'm kind of nervous about watching the TV coverage. It was the first time I'd ever seen the Rolling Stones, and it was at f'ing Glastonbury. So I'd built that up to an impossible level of expectation but if anything it surpassed it. Mick and Ronnie were unbelievable.

I'm kind of nervous about watching the TV coverage. It was the first time I'd ever seen the Rolling Stones, and it was at f'ing Glastonbury. So I'd built that up to an impossible level of expectation but if anything it surpassed it. Mick and Ronnie were unbelievable.

My thoughts would be; don't. I just started watching it and I see what people mean at home. The sound isn't great and you can't hear the crowd at all and the atmosphere was a big part.

I'm glad so many people, even the initial doubters, agree about how fantastic it was. Thought I was taking Crazy Pills reading the first few posts from those at home.

I don't think I'll rewatch any of the ones I saw now after watching a Pumpkins song and it not seeming to match how great it was live either.

the whole gig was something special, but that ending, that long version of Satisfaction, the smoke from the fireworks and flares rolling over the crowds, everybody dancing and the lights from the Pyramid illuminating it all.. for a band who have probably seen and done it all even they looked stunned

it was a sight i'll not forget in a hurry.

the Stones were amazing. surpassed all my expectations of them. thought they sounded really tight (no noticeable duff notes like there have been in many of the videos posted here), Mick sounded fantastic and the whole atmosphere was just electric. even the likes of Start Me Up which i hate on record was brilliant. opening with Jumping Jack Flash was a masterstroke as well. whilst i like Get Off Of My Cloud, going straight in with one of their biggest hits was a great way to open the show. can't remember the last time i was so excited and energetic and singing along throughout an entire set. those two hours fifteen flew by

was really surprised about their being no special guests, especially as i'd seen Florence on site so thought she was nailed on for Gimme Shelter, but they really didn't need any

Edited by FloorFiller

Just home to Dublin.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! :O

They nailed it. Nailed it. One of the greatest gigs I've ever seen. Just watched some of it back with my old man on TV and was shivering like a fool with the very last of my Glasto energy. 48 hours later. Speechless.

It was edgy, dangerous, organic, fun, rocking, loud, beautiful.... Fully deserve the title of the greatest rock and roll band ever. I'm so glad I was there to see it. So, so glad. Beyond my wildest expectations. Blown away.

What a setlist! Weeping Jesus on the cross!

• Jumpin’ Jack Flash
  • It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
  • Paint It Black
  • Gimme Shelter
  • Glastonbury Girl
  • Wild Horses
  • Doom And Gloom
  • Can’t You Hear Me Knocking (with Mick Taylor)
  • Honky Tonk Women
  • You Got The Silver (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
  • Happy (with Keith Richards on lead vocals)
  • Miss You
  • Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
  • 2000 Light Years From Home
  • Sympathy For The Devil
  • Start Me Up
  • Tumbling Dice
  • Brown Sugar
Encore

• You Can’t Always Get What You Want (with the Voce Choir and members of the London Youth Choir)
  • (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (with Mick Taylor)

Couldnt have put it better myself, I seem to remember a few weeks ago me and you were convinced they'd nail it - plenty laughed at us. I expected them to be good but f*ck me they hit it out of the ballpack. Still on a massive high now, Hyde Park next week wont be a patch on Glastonbury, that was special.

Seems to be a massive disconnect between people who were there and people who watched on tele.

The latter group, no matter how numerous and well-intentioned, are doomed to spend the rest of their sorry lives in a benighted wilderness bereft of awesomeness.

I went and saw them, and will continue to live my life in a benighted wilderness bereft of awesomeness, because after all it was the Rolling Taxdodgers.

They were about 1 inch tall, and there was a band playing over there somewhere that I could just about hear. Anyone who stayed to not see and not hear that set needs their brain putting back in - and that would be around half of that stupidly big crowd.

Edited by eFestivals

I went and saw them, and will continue to live my life in a benighted wilderness bereft of awesomeness, because after all it was the Rolling Taxdodgers.

They were about 1 inch tall, and there was a band playing over there somewhere that I could just about hear. Anyone who stayed to not see and not hear that set needs their brain putting back in - and that would be around half of that stupidly big crowd.

You of all people should know how to cut in along the green fence at the front of the Oxfam and Water Aid stalls ;-)

Left hand rule, man.

You of all people should know how to cut in along the green fence at the front of the Oxfam and Water Aid stalls ;-)

Left hand rule, man.

I headed that way, got to the cider bus and could see it wouldn't have worked.

I want to experience a band, not the backs of thousands of people. And yet I was much nearer than over half that extremely stupid and brain-dead crowd of sheep.

It was definitely up there with Blur 09 for me - probably even topped it. From the opening wrong-footing us with Jumpin' Jack Flash, through the BRILLIANT 'Can you hear me knocking?' right up to the last drumbeat of 'Satisfaction' they gave it everything and the crowd responded. I was to the left of the soundstage and the sound was crystal. Seems there were tech problems elsewhere with the speakers? Thought they might lose some (young) people around me with 'Knocking' and 'Rambler' but not a bit of it. Everyone was rapt. Stunning.

Phoenix was a bit 'meh' though!

Was by no means a doddle to get close - way busier than U2, fr'instance - but nipped up the green wall as you do whilst Primal Scream were going down for the third time circa Come Together and nipped into the pit in the small amount of crowd churn that followed their departure.

Was incredibly good natured and friendly in there. Hardly any pushing, no aggro whatsover and lots of strangers hugging one another.

Taps were firmly aff.

My neighbour, who's nearly 60, arranged to meet her kids at the Water Aid spot, and didn't have any problem and thought they were amazing. I think you're too old for all this malarkey now Neil.

Don't you think it's a tad, ok, massively patronising and arrogant to always suggest that people who like artists that you don't are brain-dead?

:rolleyes:

I could have pushed my though if I'd wanted to, and was the sort of c**t that enjoys spoiling other people's fun by doing that.

It would be patronising and arrogant to always suggest that people who like stuff I don't are brain-dead, but seeing as that's just your fantasy that's never happened it's not something I need to concern myself with. :)

However, people *ARE* brain-dead for not-watching a band that they cannot see (or can only see for one second in ten) and can barely hear. Anyone who did that - which would have been around half of that crowd - are not going to get appreciative comments from me about their stupidity in doing that. If those people think it was something worth seeing they really do need to get out more.

I wandered around trying hard to find something else of interest and failed and was mostly bored, but certainly no less bored than I was for the opening number of a band I could barely see and barely hear.

Mick's voice sounded so thind weedy in comparison. Keith, quite plainly lives on a planet that is at a slight distance to ours.

You think? I think the opposite. Mick was incredible. Richards seems a little bit of a passenger these days. When MFT was on stage (Mick Fucking Taylor), Keef seemed to be looking at him for the notes to play.

But it was all good. Jagger at almost 70 years of age, was astonishing however.

I'm sorry I ever doubted them. It was one of the best evenings of my life.