Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

They were all on fire - in Keith's case, that's relatively speaking, of course, but he was about as good as you could hope for (depending on how realistic your expectations are). Mick definitely brought his A game.

The best time I've ever seen them.

Keith was better than I expected. Ronnie was fantastic. But he needs to carry Keith a little these days. Charlie was on fire!

Mick though. I'm still in awe of that man.

Certainly did it well enough for our group. My daughters didn't think they'd know many of the songs, but I told them before that I thought they might be surprised and they surely were.

Many highlights for me including 'Happy', 'Sympathy For The Devil' and the first notes of 'Satisfaction' causing a massive cheer and the whole place jumping up and down.

The only downside for me was a group of youngsters (girls and lads) who came in just before the start (about two thirds of the way back from the stage on the right hand side). I'm sure you've all seen the type before - ooohhh let's take lots of photos of ourselves before putting the girls on our shoulders and bumping into all those around as often as possible. My wife was closest to them and it was spoiling her evening, so I changed places with her. I suppose they were just having fun in their own way, but have a little regard for other people for Christ's sake.

I know what you mean about 'not-watching' a band from far away. Presumably, they were happier to be there than crushed at the front... I don't see why that makes them brain dead. They are watching and listening to a live gig, and by the looks of things, enjoying it

They're watching some people less than one inch tall who could be anyone, and by the quality of the sound from that far back the CD from a walkman would sound a million times better.

That's the true reality of things at a show that big. People are perfectly entitled to enjoy it, but all they're really doing is mugging themselves. There's better enjoyment to be had by actually experiencing something than there is from barely experiencing something.

As I say, I wandered off and was bored by the lack on (for me) interesting alternatives - but I know I was no less bored than I'd have been if I'd stayed to (as a result of where I was stood*) not-watch and not-hear anything worthwhile from the stones.

(* I might have said the same thing if in the middle of the crowd, but we'll never know. :P)

Edited by eFestivals

The sound quality at the back of the field is often better than nearer the front. Behind the second row of speakers which are level with the sound stage, the sound travels well and has always sounded pretty much spot on for me. The place where it is not so good is kind of the back of the front.

We absolutely couldn't get in at the start, but hung around, and really enjoyed the second half when we did get in, and you were apparently still wandering around bored!

just a wonderful experience. they absolutely fuckin nailed it. it comes in straight in at #1 on "the gig of all gigs" list for me, just a truly amazing thing to experience. right from the start you could see Keith and Ronnie with huge smiles on their faces looking at the crowd, knowing that this was a bit different from those arena gigs in the US. just a bit...no need for any guests, just the Rolling fuckin' Stones on the pyramid stage!

had been blown away by Portishead on Friday and assumed going into Saturday that would be the gig of weekend, and the Stones merely 'the experience' of the weekend, but on a weekend of some truly memorable sets for me (Nick Cave, Black Angels...) the Stones came up on top on all counts.

I sacrificed a good portion of my Saturday pm for the Stones and it was so worth it. watched Lou Rhodes up at The Park at 3, then got organized, 3 pee trips, and went into pit in the break before Elvis Costello, and was able to stay there rest of evening and be just right of center about 4 people yards back from front by the time the Stones started (getting ahead of that fuckin' idiot with the double pirate flag that he couldn't keep much higher than just above head level) the 90 minutes went quickly i thought, perhaps because you became impressed with how much work they had to do in that time to get that stage together.

I have a wonderful wife who understands my need to leave her and the two kids and fly from the US for a week of 'holiday' time (and family fund$) that could be spent with them. bit selfish on my part and I pretty much have to come back showing them - as well as convincing myself - that it was all worth it, and what happened Saturday night does that a few times over. just a marvelous memory that will be.

was gutted to miss U2 on the Pyramid, but knowing that failed, and that this succeeded just makes me feel so fortunate to have been there.

There's no doubt that being miles away and being unable to hear will have a massive negative impact, but that's going to be true of any headliner at Glastonbury. It's certainly not unique to the Stones.

i didn't say it was - tho a crowd of that size to cause so many people to be that far away is unique to them (at glasto, anyway)

We could see but the sound was terrible up on the hill and there was no atmosphere, just lots of people sitting on picnic rugs. It was ridiculous that they had all the signs up saying the area was full and directing people up the hill instead. We left after five songs but to be honest I didn't go to Glastonbury to see the Rolling Stones anyway. The whole weekend you just got the vibe the festival was all about them. If people want to see them that much, like many of the big bands, they can go to one of their concerts! For me, Glastonbury is about the smaller stages and wandering around and discovering the unexpected. The more I go the more I am spending time away from the main stages. In 2011, when Coldplay headlined, people just ruined it by talking all the way through, so I ended up going to one of their shows last year where I could see and hear and didn't get pushed around or annoyed by the endless chatter!

The sound where I was, which was nowhere near the front, and nothing like a crush, was fine. Suggesting that people couldn't get within a reasonable distance to hear a decent sound isn't true.

yeah, cos you got out from the middle of that crowd to know that, right? PMSL. :lol:

what do you mean they could have been anyone? anyone who sounds like The Rolling Stones, ie The Rolling Stones?

there's certainly no way of knowing if they were the real thing or a tribute band from that distance.

And if they had been a tribute band, I guarantee that 25%+ of the crowd would never have known by their own experiences of that show.

soo, sooo patronising

Not at all. If people think that not-seeing and not-hearing a famous band is a great experience, I'm very happy for them.

Just as I'm very happy to not be so feckin' dumb myself. :)

Edited by eFestivals

The stones were on fire! Really enjoyed their set apart from the 28 minute version of Can You Hear Me Knocking which went on waaaay too long.

We were behind and to the left of the mixing desk, and started off not being able to see a thing. It turns out there is a bit of a dip there, and we managed to shuffle forward over the course of a few songs until BAM! suddenly we came over the brow of the hill and had a really good view.

I was stood next to Shaun Keavney and Guy Garvey as well! Although I emailed Shaun this morning and he claimed it wasn't him. It definitely looked like him, and the other bloke was definitely Guy Garvey.

PS ... one thing that was extremely noticable - and that was how the Stones were less of a big draw than Bowie or Bruce Springsteen - because when the Stones were playing the rest of the site was still heaving (whereas it was dead for Bowie and Bruce).

i didn't say it was - tho a crowd of that size to cause so many people to be that far away is unique to them (at glasto, anyway)

The stones weren't that big a draw but still managed to get a uniquely large crowd? I think you're getting a bit confused!

I'm reading all these comments and can't get my head round the fact I was in the same field as you all. It's like I was at a different gig completely. I wasn't miles back, down the left to Oxfam / Wateraid tents then cut in 20 to 30 yards. I'd love to know what it is that made them sound so muted in that area. I was only at the Pyramid for the Stones, Kenny and a bit of Vampire Weekend and was within 15 yards of the same spot for all three, only the Stones had any sound issues to my ears. Vampire sounded twice as loud.

Gah! :(

And special shout out for Glastonbury Girl. "Sucking on a balloon", FFS.

The "they're only doing it for the money, they don't really care about it" crew now suspiciously quiet for some reason or other.

That was me up until about a month ago. Until the Philly gigs really. Always knew they had it in them of course. Although I never thought they could be that good.

Q Review said something about one set of speakers to the left not being switched on....bit of a shame if true.

Yeah was poor enough apparently. My mate moved from there after Paint it Black and I got a text saying "thats better!". Hes a fan but a hardline Stones cynic and he loved it.

it's a hobby of Neil's, watch the headliners, especially the ones you know you won't like, then slag them and their fans off. It wouldn't be Glastonbury without it... :D

So you'd stay and watch a band that you felt wasn't worth the bother, because you thought them shit, or too far away to experience in any meaningful way.

I'm very happy for you extremely stupid* types to be where I'm not, so don't go thinking that it bothers me. :)

(* that's a comment at just tony BTW, because he's advocating watching what he thinks is shite.)

Me, I say what I see. Just because I don't like the same shite that you think is perfume is where your problem is. You think it's not possible to not think what you like is fantastic.

I've no idea or not if I might have thought the stones fantastic if things had been different for me (if I was in a decent spot in the crowd). But what I do know is that they certainly were not worth watching from where I was, nor did I think pushing thru to a better spot was worth it.

Given that you don't have the first fucking clue about what it was like where I was stood, why don't you try taking some of your own advice? :rolleyes:

Wandering around bored at Glastonbury...? It's a concept I have a genuine struggle with.

1. markets: all shut.

2. Acoustic Tent: no band. I'd just come from there, where I watched one of this country's finest musicians of the last 40 years get a tiny crowd compared to The Proclaimers. You couldn't make it up.

3. Other: Chase & Status: no thanks, not for me.

4. West Holts: Public Enemy. not enough of my bag to want to watch again.

5. Cabaret: Arthur Smith doing the most cringeworthy show I've ever seen on that stage at all Glasto's since '86. Followed by a magician who couldn't be bothered to do any magic because so few people were there. Bored shitless.

6. Avalon: Beverley Knight. Not my bag at all, but I stayed the three songs to the end of her set. While it wasn't my bag (no more or less than the Stones were) she put in a storming effort that surpassed every other act I saw this year (and quite possibly any year ever, anywhere) - so much so that i started a thread in praise of her efforts.

Etc, etc.

When everyone's focus is on just one very over-hyped band it's surprisingly easy to be bored at Glasto - as the many thousands of others milling about that night (far more than when Bruce or Bowie played) also discovered.

As for the stones

I watched it from the back right hand side of the field, the sound was great, I could see the stage quite nicely and the atmosphere was fantastic. Nothing wrong with being further back (as long as there's no sound issues). Also being further back meant my large group of friends could watch and dance together with being crushed and for me being there with my friends vs being pushed around at the front was a no contest.

My only issue is with you saying that many people who did enjoy it need their brains testing.

I was saying something completely different, that there was no enjoyment to be had from that far away.

the best time to go to the places that are going to get rammed later on (for me)

where I was going later wasn't going to get rammed, so I had no need to do that.

We were behind the centre screen and there was boat loads of space. Ok you can't see the stage but who cares its only blocked by flags anyway. Went for a walk during honkey tonk woman and couldn't see the stage from anywhere I went so went back again. Sounded fantastic where I was and i thought they absolutely nailed it.

Watched the TV stuff this morning and yeah, nothing like what I remember, can see why people thought they were shit at home.