Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

has there been any comment from the Stones since? how did they think it went?

Depends where they source their feedback from.

The response on the night? It went very well.

The response from the reviewers? It went very well.

The response from the fan forums? It went very well.

The response from Twitter and the Daily Mail? Lolz, they's well old.

Agreed with BlackHole2006 above. I was happy to see Mick Taylor play and Lisa Fischer absolutely nailed her part, but anyone else would have detracted from the experience.

We camped early to get a place just behind the camera pit. Elvis Costello put on a nice show but Bobbie Gillespie lost the crowd so much we all cringed with embarrassment for him. Nevertheless, we met some lovely people who camped around us. We were all betting on the opening song and I won it with JJF.

Lots of articles referring to the "new song" simply highlight the laziness of most modern journalists, Glastonbury Girl is a reworked "Factory Girl" and it took all of 1 minute of searching to find that out. For that, any article that doesn't make this distinction is written by a 15 year old with access to iplayer and should therefore be contemptuously ignored.

The Rolling Stones simply outshone every musical experience I have ever had. Yes, the fire spouting phoenix was very Spinal Tap, and I understand there were problems with the sound at the rear of the field, but from where I was stood the performance simply raised the bar for best performance by any artist at any time, anywhere, in the world. (In a Jeremy Clarkson voice :biggrin: )

Is there consensus on what the apex of the gig was? For most I'd say its a toss up between 'Shelter' and 'Sympathy'. Lisa Fischer's career defining turn just edges it for me. I nearly burst into tears.

Wild Horses for me - it's never been my favourite of their ballads (much prefer the ones on Exile) but I thought it was incredible.

Came on on random on my iPod on my commute home tonight and suddenly I was back there in the field again, only 30 or 40ft away from it.

And I started crying.

If anyone hasn't already, watch the performance of Satisfaction on iPlayer. The crowd singing the riff whilst the band are saying goodbye is brilliant! Some great moments, I think both the crowd and the band loved it.

A lot of the extended songs were great musically!

As a more recent fan of the stones, (Putting it simply, i didn't want to listen to them, because i didn't think i'd ever, EVER get to see them), when Doom and Gloom came out, it was in my head for weeks, and it was what i was looking forward to most, and yes i got teary eyed (Even though that mayhave been the drugs making me emotional), what an amazing gig.

They Blew My Mind, and should they tour one final time, i don't think i'll be missing it!

Lots of 16 year old "massive Stones fans yah!" in Topman t-shirt messed their pants when they played Glastonbury girl, "do you think they'll do a new album with this and Doom And Gloom on?". Also there were some hilarious comments about Mick Taylor, "so who's this chap then, wasn't he jamming out on the sax a second ago?", to which his equally dense mate replied "he's, like, a rally rally famous old blues guitarist, yah. It's a big coup for the Stones to get him to play, it just goes to show they're the best".

Putting it simply, i didn't want to listen to them, because i didn't think i'd ever, EVER get to see them

I'm relatively sure you'll never get to see Nina Simone, or Billie Holiday, or Johnny Cash, or Gil Scot-Heron, or The Doors, but you still most definitely should listen to them.

We absolutely loved it despite the aggro and air of tension. We were three rows back from the second barrier on the left. Sound was very good but very quiet. We were very near where we were for Gorillaz and had to have earplugs in for a lot of that the bass was so loud.

Because we were on the left though we had lots of hospitality knobends near us who had literally just come in for the stones and knew nothing about the festival. They did say that Florence was backstage absolutely trollied so maybe she was supposed to pop up and couldn't manage it.

There's a big difference between those of us who were there and the TV reactions. I was five rows back and absolutely loved it. Ultimately though with the Stones it doesn't really matter as much as with other bands if Jagger's voice isn't quite what it was (though both in person and after watching the highlights it sounds pretty solid), or if things aren't quite technically what they could be (ahem Keith). A lot of it is about the atmosphere they create, their attitude on stage - one thing that I was worried might happen was that they'd treat it as just another gig, but it was clear from the off that this wasn't the case. The "Glastonbury Girl" reworking was case in point - even if that got shown on TV it would have bored most people, whereas we all loved they'd done that for us.

And, though this is largely Jagger's own fault, how can you possibly judge a set on TV when it misses out Jumpin Jack Flash, IORR, Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter, Wild Horses, You Can't Always Get what you want and Satisfaction?? Wild Horses was a personal high point for me, it's the first time I can even remember that I've cried at a gig, not even a few drops, just streams and streams.

On Saturday we saw the greatest rock n roll band of all time, playing some of the best songs ever at one of the biggest gigs of their 50 year career. And they played a blinder. What a special, special day.

My take on it was that they came out punching and fierced up for it, got a massive buzz of the crowd and it properly fired them up.

But the middle part was flabby and dull as fuck. That version of 'Midnight rambler' seemed to go for about 3 days. i fully expected to find the rest of the festival had cleared out and the cows had been reintroduced back into the fields by the time it finally finished. Dull blues jam hell. Hated it.

But yeah, they fucking nailed the end. And aggression and lairyness? lets get some perspective. It's the Stones up there. Hardly fucking Altamont was it?

I headed that way, got to the cider bus and could see it wouldn't have worked.

I want to experience a band, not the backs of thousands of people. And yet I was much nearer than over half that extremely stupid and brain-dead crowd of sheep.

My wife managed it, and she hates big crowds. Had a great view and loved it despite not intending to see them

Didn't get in early enough I'm afraid.

I didn't think I was that far back (by the Oxfam tent) but was too low for me. General conversations going on around me, not even shouting to hear people etc.

Gutted - although I thought Wild Horses was quality.

There's a big difference between those of us who were there and the TV reactions. I was five rows back and absolutely loved it. Ultimately though with the Stones it doesn't really matter as much as with other bands if Jagger's voice isn't quite what it was (though both in person and after watching the highlights it sounds pretty solid), or if things aren't quite technically what they could be (ahem Keith). A lot of it is about the atmosphere they create, their attitude on stage - one thing that I was worried might happen was that they'd treat it as just another gig, but it was clear from the off that this wasn't the case. The "Glastonbury Girl" reworking was case in point - even if that got shown on TV it would have bored most people, whereas we all loved they'd done that for us.

And, though this is largely Jagger's own fault, how can you possibly judge a set on TV when it misses out Jumpin Jack Flash, IORR, Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter, Wild Horses, You Can't Always Get what you want and Satisfaction?? Wild Horses was a personal high point for me, it's the first time I can even remember that I've cried at a gig, not even a few drops, just streams and streams.

On Saturday ,we saw the greatest rock n roll band of all time, playing some of the best songs ever at one of the biggest gigs of their 50 year career. And they played a blinder. What a special, special day.

Wild Horses was beautiful. Knocked me sideways.

I loved Midnight Rambler. And Can You Hear Me Knocking for that matter. It's the Stones, their roots are in blues music, you are always going to get at least one blues jam in there somewhere.

Better that than some soulless electronic shite.

I did hear a few grumbles that the jams were over-indulgent, but the guitar-w*nk is what I and many other people come for, Midnight Rambler was a great experience for me. In a set bursting at the seams with classic singalong hits, it was a tiny fraction of the set.