Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Ugh. I'm going to have the spend the rest of my life explaining to people watching it on TV that it wasn't a load of cobblers, amnt I? Currently taking a kicking for it on another forum I post on.

nah, why waste your time. you were there, they weren't. you know the truth!

Q Review said something about one set of speakers to the left not being switched on....bit of a shame if true.

Odd!! One of the front one's? Actually might be one of the relay towers as I think I ended up closer to the 2nd one in from the left maybe ..but I remember being further out on the left and further up the hill and couldn't hear fuck all!

Was a fantastic atmosphere and sound where I was sort of in the middle of the two back speakers and a bit further back from them :D Got even better when all the people who were there to say they saw the Stones left and we got further forward with a decent view of the actually stage :D

Crowd was stupid busy, I thought it was tightly packed for Stevie up that way but at least the first 20/30 minutes it seemed much more packed. Kind of get what Neil's saying about some of the crowd being stupid and there but not really there but that was true of most stages all weekend, Loads of people sitting in places where you just couldn't hear the sound/see very well...bit weird. (There are however places near the back where you can hear and for some might get a better view of the stage.)

As for the Rolling Stones, I was fucking impressed, I went thinking I would enjoy the hits but my god that has to be one of the greatest shows I've seen :D Absolutely nailed it for me (even if I wanted Get Off Of My Cloud and Angie). Seemed to go really quickly...though some of the crowd around me seemed to get bored during the Keith songs and Mick Taylors bits , I thought it was great, especially the end of Midnight Rambler (I think that's right!)....Loved Miss You to!! That just immense :D...well apart from Satisfaction at the end but that goes without saying I think :D

Bloody fantastic :D

Ugh. I'm going to have the spend the rest of my life explaining to people watching it on TV that it wasn't a load of cobblers, amnt I? Currently taking a kicking for it on another forum I post on.

Couple of my mates who've been before watched it on tv and were GUTTED they didnt go. You Cant Always Get What You Want looks incredible on tv. A real all time Glasto highlight.

And the crowd singing the Satisfaction riff back at the band as they were saying goodbye? Keith giving praise and kissing the stage?

Glorious glorious times.

It's a long time since I've seen a headliner without being near the front. I was surprised how not-crowded it was about half way back. Was The Stones considered to very packed?

Problem was it was very hairy joining the crowd at the left side, we managed a spot half way up the hill near a hog roast stall but I was really nervous of the crowd so it ruined it for me and we left after 5 songs as wasn't fully enjoying it. I was completely broken by Saturday which was a shame as was really looking forward to seeing them.

Combination of being dead on my feet and claustrophobia from the crowd meant I missed out, obviously this is not Glastos fault in anyway, ended up sitting at the back of Chase n Status who were quite fun tbh

Couple of my mates who've been before watched it on tv and were GUTTED they didnt go. You Cant Always Get What You Want looks incredible on tv. A real all time Glasto highlight.

And the crowd singing the Satisfaction riff back at the band as they were saying goodbye? Keith giving praise and kissing the stage?

Glorious glorious times.

I might be going ott, cus I was eyeballed, but it didn't just feel like a moment in glasto history. It felt like a moment in music history. Like it was the gig they had to do before they leave us for good. Their goodbye to the world of music.

As I said, I was trollied.

We turned up 40 minutes before their set started, came in from the john peel side. They'd stopped letting people into the bottom of the field so we trekked up the hill to see what the other entrance was like. I could see from quite a way away that the crowd was simply not moving into the field, it was at a complete standstill. Luckily, out of the corner of my eye, i spotted a few people sitting on the steepest part of the hill above the tents between Row Mead and Hawkwell. Quickly diverted up there and had an incredible view of the Stones, could see everything that went on and the sound wasn't even too bad. Got to sit down with lots of space, stuck the blanket over our legs and got drunk.

It was fantastic.

So glad I didn't go into the main crowd, it would have ruined the whole show for me, I don't like being crushed.

We went in from the entrance up the hill on the right about and hour before managed to get a great spot. We couldnt see the the band brilliantly but that was only due to the flags. The sound was spot on and we could see the whole crowd and the stage. Looked incredible. And everyone was dancing and singing along. Im normally one for getting as close as possible but loved every second of it. Had a bit of a moment listening to gimme shelter (one of my all time favourites) with some great friends at my favourite place. It was just amazing.

I'd been up in Avalon watching Urban Voodoo Machine while Primal Scream were on. Arrived just as they were finishing so thought I'd try my luck getting into the pit.

Once I was at the edge of it I had no choice, I was pushed in.

The 90 minute wait flew by, chatting to the people around, getting their take on The Stones, how often they had or hadn't seen them before, who they'd seen at the festival so far who was any good. All good stuff.

I've now had another day to consider my verdict and nothing's changed.... The single greatest musical experience of my life.

We went in from the entrance up the hill on the right about and hour before managed to get a great spot. We couldnt see the the band brilliantly but that was only due to the flags. The sound was spot on and we could see the whole crowd and the stage. Looked incredible. And everyone was dancing and singing along. Im normally one for getting as close as possible but loved every second of it. Had a bit of a moment listening to gimme shelter (one of my all time favourites) with some great friends at my favourite place. It was just amazing.

Sounds like we were in the same area. I agree. Sounded brilliant and thought it was an incredible couple of hours. Would normally want to be nearer the front getting a better view but had my kids with me. We had a great view of the whole thing and it was magic. Loved the set list and had plenty of room to dance around. Great atmosphere and was so grateful to those around me who made sure my kids had enough room and didn`t get trampled on ! especially the guy in front who lifted them onto his shoulders to give them a better view just after the Stones came on. Great performance, great memories.

Have seen the Stones 4 times now over the last 20 years and don`t expect to see them again. Agree with Ed that it seemed like they knew this was the end*

* I realise they have a couple of further pension pot boosters coming up at Hyde Park but this felt like the big one with massive exposure and the world watching to see if they could pull it off.

Edited by comfortablynumb1910

I panicked when I saw the size of the crowd from the cider bus, it looked much bigger than Stevie's to me. In the end we got in a fair way back from the middle screen and while we had a poor view, the sound quality was fine and there ended up being loads of room to dance about.

Shame about the knobhead who looked at my mate like she was a piece of shit because she accidentally knocked his drink over. Bear in mind there wasn't even a mouthful left in the pint! She apologised and the look he have her was ridiculous, like she was beyond forgiveness. One thing I definitely noticed was a bit of tension and aggression around before their set started.

And don't get me started on the silly cow who shouted "NO" at me during Womack when I tried to step over her drinks and hat. She told me to go round and I told her I could easily step over, so I did. It was right near the front, the hat should have been on her fucking head!

Glorious glorious times.

You Can't Always Get What You Want was a proper moment for me. Helped that I was just coming up on some MDMA but I was nearly in tears. Same thing happened when I watched it back earlier, proper hairs standing on end moment

I'm someone who didn't really know any of their songs until about a month ago (here in Israel they're much less known than other famous rock legends), but I did want to see them, so I learned their songs without knowing that Doom and Gloom was new, and it turned out to be my favorite song from them- So one of the highlights of the festival for me was being at the back, and being the *only* one shouting "Had a dream last night I was piloting a planeeeee". Considering how low the sound was, I'm preety sure I just did my first concert ever.

I might be going ott, cus I was eyeballed, but it didn't just feel like a moment in glasto history. It felt like a moment in music history. Like it was the gig they had to do before they leave us for good. Their goodbye to the world of music.

As I said, I was trollied.

Didnt get within an arses roar of Blur in '09 though did it.

It was fucking awesome, slightly disappointed with no street fighting man and angie, loved every second!

True but the inclusion of 2000 light years & Glastonbury Girl really made this gig feel unique. Moving JJF also shows they have put alot of thought into this set.

If you read IORR forums they are salvating over Saturdays performance and set list. Some are saying it's the best gig they've played in decades.

I have a confession to make. I said before the festival that I wouldn't be anywhere near the Stones when they were playing. As it happens I was near them. I listened to them from outside my tent in Webbs Ash. They were truly awesome and it was a real privilege to have been there to hear them. The best act of the festival by a long shot.

Anyone else glad they didn't bring on any shite special guests? Would have ruined the show for me if they decided to bring on Lady Gaga or Florence and the Mashit.

They surpassed all my expectations and put on a stonker of a show.

same as with Chic. not even Johnny Marr. i suppose at these huge gigs they don't want their thunder to be stolen.

I'll second that, in 25 years time this is going to be one of those 'I was there' moments. I had my reservations before the US tour but from the videos ive seen id say the band is playing as good as they have done since the late 80s early 90s.

Keith is sounding like he is on top form and Micks singing is as good as I can remember. Theres also the added bonus of Mick Taylor too

Just sit back and enjoy it Saturday night, as Nal said this is the greatest rock and roll band of all time, moments like this dont come round very often

Can you tell im just a tad excited?

It was everything I imagined it to be when I wrote this and more.