SZA

gherkin8r

1 hour ago, WhoOdyssey said:

In fairness with the whole "not being in tune with pop culture thing", pop culture is arguably at its most fragmented than ever. 

It seems far easier to miss big music hits more than ever these days, particularly with everyone's social media algorithms catering for their interests, and the limitless music options on streaming replacing radio. 

I quite like SZA's music and 'Good Days' was one of my most played songs a few years ago, but I don't think I've ever heard it in a public setting before or see anyone discuss her much online.

Spot on.

I'd heard of her, and realised now I've gone on Spotify that I knew 2-3 tracks, but (if the rumours are true) this will be the first Glasto headliner that the vast majority of our group won't have heard of. Maybe we are just old 🙂 but there's certainly truth in Odyssey's assessment.

I'd certainly not begrudge it, I think it's brilliant that a young artist is, once again, being given the Pyramid as a platform to showcase their work. If Glasto think it's the right booking, who are the old farts to argue their worth? 

I also don't want 3 of my favourite acts ever to headline the Pyramid 3 nights on the bounce!

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

This is true.

I feel like there are two sides to it though, depending on how you respond.

Either "Oh, I'm not surprised I haven't heard that, I might check it out/ not for me" OR "who is this? How can they be any good if haven't heard of them?"

Yes very much this. Not everyone can have heard of everything but I like to keep relatively up to date with music and watching the Brits the other night there was still plenty of acts I didn't know or I know their name but couldn't name a song. The difference for me is definitely if one of them was announced for Glastonbury I wouldn't go WHO, I'd check out a couple of their top tracks on Deezer and either add them to my list of potentials or list of people I give zero f**ks about. What I wouldn't do is go whining on the internet about it.

As they say better to stay silent and be thought an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It is why demurred a bit on it at first. Taken as individual tracks they're all all top drawer, but taken as a whole it's slightly too much for one sitting. The R&B Tusk.

I agree with this somewhat.  There is a lot at a similar pace for an hour long album (and this is coming from a fan of The National 🙂 )  I think the live pacing looks okay though as it is broken up with stuff from CTRL and singles.

SOS is really growing on me though.  I think as soon as you get over it being more slow jams than bangers then it is a great listen. 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Other old buggers need to get out of the mind set of responding "I've never heard of them!" and instead take it as a cue to give them a listen.

Absolutely.  I'm an old bugger and the first thing I did when her name came up was give her a listen, get to know the material.  I was kind of chuffed that my son messaged me with one of her songs linked as a banger the same day, and if you look at this thread it's gone from a couple of pages to triple that in a couple of days as clearly the readership of efests is doing exactly the same.  Even if she ends up being lower down the bill then this discussion has at least introduced people to someone they'd not taken the time with previously.

I have long used this forum and her users as a way to find new and exciting music, I value the opinions and tastes that are shared and am entertained and informed by the posts along the way.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Absolutely.  I'm an old bugger and the first thing I did when her name came up was give her a listen, get to know the material.  I was kind of chuffed that my son messaged me with one of her songs linked as a banger the same day, and if you look at this thread it's gone from a couple of pages to triple that in a couple of days as clearly the readership of efests is doing exactly the same. 

By late June all the cynics will be half-naked sweaty messes, weeping their eyes out to Good Days while baws deep in the pit 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Streaming stats may not excite, but they're still about the best metric there is of what folks are actually listening to.

Not sure about that.
For music in the background I’ll stream and it’s usually a ready done playlist. I’ll also use it to check out an album before I buy it. 
If I want to actually listen to music it’s a physical copy. 

For me streaming is like I used to use the radio for. Probably similar as the big players are able to manipulate Spotify algorithms in the same way that they used to radio playlists 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It is why demurred a bit on it at first. Taken as individual tracks they're all all top drawer, but taken as a whole it's slightly too much for one sitting. The R&B Tusk.

I'm surprised Lana is going to be SOS mixed with more bonus tracks. I like the album but the last thing it needs is more bloat.

Only really heard of her since being announced for Primavera this year and I'm not a fan. Not for me and that's fine because it means I can either watch someone else or head home early as the partner will probably need to work Monday as she works in a college.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Counter-programming will be interesting.  They may need sonething with some wallop on WH and Woodsies if the main alternative is the sad-sackery of The National.

Stick The National opposite Dua and get BMTH in.

45 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Stick The National opposite Dua and get BMTH in.

The National can only do the Sunday.

What if they end up making The National sub again and put them on before SZA, and stick Pulp up against her on the Other stage?

Can imagine they'd split the Glastonbury audience nicely there.

The National up against SZA doesn't feel right, you can imagine they'd want an older band like they had with Pet Shop Boys and Kendrick.

Just now, Acid_Haze said:

The National can only do the Sunday.

What if they end up making The National sub again and put them on before SZA, and stick Pulp up against her on the Other stage?

Can imagine they'd split the Glastonbury audience nicely there.

The National up against SZA doesn't feel right, you can imagine they'd want an older band like they had with Pet Shop Boys and Kendrick.

The National are free on the Saturday as well, it’s just that Sunday looks more likely given their dates. 

SZA vs. The National is totally fine though - they’re a total dad band and SZA’s fanbase is largely younger and I’m guessing skews female. Pulp feel like far more of a Pyramid sub band imo, although definitely can’t rule them out doing Other I suppose, I just hope that’s not the case personally.

2 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

The National are free on the Saturday as well, it’s just that Sunday looks more likely given their dates. 

SZA vs. The National is totally fine though - they’re a total dad band and SZA’s fanbase is largely younger and I’m guessing skews female. Pulp feel like far more of a Pyramid sub band imo, although definitely can’t rule them out doing Other I suppose, I just hope that’s not the case personally.

Yeah thinking about it the better comparison that year would be Billie vs Foals. I can imagine them getting an older act on another stage though, maybe Patti Smith on the park, and a more lively act like Jessie Ware on WH.

Edited by Acid_Haze

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Counter-programming will be interesting.  They may need sonething with some wallop on WH and Woodsies if the main alternative is the sad-sackery of The National.

I'm hoping for Justice on the Sunday. With all due respect to SZA (if correct), I think a few more might migrate from the Pyramid to the Holts to see out the weekend with a dance, rather than an evening of downtempo soul 

Gave SZA another good listen last night - both albums and a few of the collaborations.  Not for me I'm afraid.  Bang average IMO.

No shade on the Fest if they are giving her a headline slot though.  Clearly a huge artist on the way up and I'd be more than happy to be away from the Pyramid that night.

I think it would be a massive mistake to put SZA headlining Pyramid personally. Not that she isnt good but FML what a depressingly low beat headliner for the big stage. She hasnt got the banging sing alongs that Adele had... it will fail imho. 

Shes as West Holts headliner nothing more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1