SZA

gherkin8r

6 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Couple of mates have no idea who she is, and they'll be down with me in the summer.

So, open chat - five songs to recommend outside of Kill Bill please! Curious to see what other folk think.

Just start with the Ctrl album. 

48 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Drew Barrymore is a tune.

I also really like her new single Saturn.

She's miles better than a whole host of dross they could have gotten to fill the gap and both those terry and junes are decent. Nothing there to bring the house down tho innit. In previous years a perfect WH headliner. To promote her to the Mid screams of spotify statology.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Streaming stats may not excite, but they're still about the best metric there is of what folks are actually listening to.

No they're not. If it was for a live streamed gig, worldwide, yes. They'd be spot on. 

I don't know where ACDC are in the rankings, or even better - Oasis - but they'd pack the field. SZA won't. 

Edited by Superscally

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

No they're not. If it was for a live streamed gig, worldwide, yes. They'd be spot on. 

I don't know where ACDC are innthe rankings, or even better - Oasis - but they'd pack the field. SZA won't. 

Who care about packing the field? This is like football fans talking about net spend. 

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Who care about packing the field? This is like football fans talking about net spend. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She'll get a smaller crowd than Elton, but it's a reasonable punt that she'll get a bigger crowd than Guns'n'Roses.

Debatable. Time will tell. I say no, might be wrong. She also has the advantage of lazy locals who want a Pyramid experience.

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

No it's not. Completely different. 

8 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Its nothing like that.

The festival (and every attendee) wants the headliner to succeed. These are the most cherished moments, the highest risk in some ways, but also the biggest reward. The vast majority of the highlights we have and will speak about are 'Mid headliners. Personally speaking nothing beats it. Only 3 per year. When none of these "hit" its a bum year.

Edited by Wooderson

30 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I don't know where ACDC are in the rankings, or even better - Oasis - but they'd pack the field. SZA won't. 

Feck me that would be dreadful, but the only consolation would be if they were shite...again. 

Make no mistake about it, it's a gamble and a huge talking point. It's always paid off in the past. I'm here for it and just trying to get over myself that it's not my personal choice and would have preferred gambles in other musical genres, but hey ho. Sounds like they didn't really have any other option if the other rumours were true. It will absolutely give SZA one hell of a bump up in her career I think! Fantastic for her.

Not the worst thing in the world to elevate the status of Glastonbury across the pond as well. She's a better headline than the coachella bunch... 

My friend's 10 year old will be  absolutely buzzing, especially if we get Burna Boy and D Block Europe too... that's her generation sorted and locked in for the future 👍🏼🤣

50 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Who care about packing the field? 

Packed field = what the people want to see.  

Not packed field = people went for other options they wanted to see more elsewhere.

What other metric would you like to use to judge strength of a booking? 

The more I think about it the more I'd love to see SZA headlining - if alongside a couple of massive artists like Coldplay and Dua then even better IMO.

She has the chance to put together one of those really memorable headline sets & I'll be rooting for her big time. Don't care if she doesn't pull as big a crowd as other artists - it's impossible to please people. One minute calling for more risks and less obvious/boring headliners, the next all the predictable "who?" posts. Actually a 3 of Dua, SZA and Coldplay would tick all the boxes.

Only listened to bits and bobs of hers but I'm going in for a deep dive now whether this ends up being true or not.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Packed field = what the people want to see.  

Not packed field = people went for other options they wanted to see more elsewhere.

What other metric would you like to use to judge strength of a booking? 

I'd say taking a chance on an artist who they know won't pack out the field but they still believe is the right artistic/cultural choice is a massive plus for the festival and IMO a very strong booking. Glastonbury can pull it off and they often do, long may it continue.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

Absolutely terrible take

Its not a "take". You can assess hits by things like chart position.

https://kworb.net/spotify/artist/2YZyLoL8N0Wb9xBt1NhZWg_songs.html

OK. It's got fewer streams at the moment than Humble, which is his biggest song by some distance. But it'll pass it easily by the end of this year. It's already out-performed All The Stars.