So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

Before this years I was thinking I was going to do something else next year, been five times now, it's expensive coming from Ireland, there other festivals etc. But then you get there and you realise that while there are other festivals glasto is unique. So yeah I have my fingers crossed for tickets again next year. Though if I don't manage to get tickets I don't think I'll be too upset.

This year was my 21st Glastonbury.  First in 95 and missed 97 but been every one since 98.

Im 57. 2016 was tough camping with muddy conditions on arrival and I swore I wasn't camping again...I went and bought a motor home and it's a different experience with a comfy bed, shower and cold beers.

I'm still fairly active with seeking out new bands. I think the line up this year possibly the weakest I have ever seen but lots of acts I don't know.  Not really into dance scene. 

Still watched tons of good stuff.  Only went to Pyramid twice and not until Sunday..( Cat Stevens,Blondie and Elton)

Best we're Deadletter. Benefits, Working Men's Club. Murder Capital, Shame,  Beth Orton, Lathums, lottery winners Gaz Brookfield..Damned..on barrier for most.. the beauty of festival away from the two main stages.  

I'm not keen on the large crowds. Elton was great. And I have never listened to an album but it was uncomfortably packed at the front. 

I love other festivals notably Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days. They are easy on the old legs, bet friendly and great value. 

The is however something magical about Glastonbury and the breadth of the bill us unrivaled.

I will go as long as I still enjoy it and I did tremendously this year.  I don't feel the pressure anymore to leg it between stages.  I enjoy what I watch and try not to worry about what I miss with the inevitable clashes.

My pet hate these days is low attention span- people talking through sets and obsession with filming. As Gaz Brookfield puts it try not to be a dick!

Hope I have a few more in me.

Edited by Popsider75
  • Upvote 5

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

There’s only one issue for me, that’s managing the drive to and from the festival. Despite leaving early Monday morning before any real queues, it still took me 10 hours to get home. Mainly due to a serious incident on the M6, but also an hour’s sleep en route and dropping off friends. I’m not doing that again, I’m going to break the journey home with a stop over.

I’m older than most on here but more determined than ever to continue! With a change in what I do at the festival I cope without a problem. Having a CV, drinking very moderately, mainly avoiding the masses - except for Elton - and a good sleep works a treat.

Similar trip home.  Left at 7am straight off but got caught in that M6 problem. 

Arrived home at 5pm.

Horrible feeling when your knackered driving but want to get home.

July is always when I consider whether I'm done for the time being, usually because I'm exhausted after such a long journey from Australia and semi-regretting the expense of it all.

This year I feel it stronger than usual. I struggled at this year's festival...

• I wasn't really fit enough for it;
  • It felt quite lonely after going with somebody else last year;
  • The weather on Fri/Sat destroyed me to the point I was just shade-hopping and missing acts;
  • Aside from a handful of acts, the line-up was weak for me;
  • I found it difficult to deal with huge crowds

Some of those issues affected others, but all in all, G23 wasn't a vintage year for me at all.

That said, several of those issues can be resolved in different ways, and I'll definitely be trying as usual in October.

• Upvote 2

Been going since 2007 and missed one since then. I still love it and get the excitement in the build up and will be trying for tickets but if I didn’t get them I wouldn’t be gutted like I would have been 5 or 6 festivals ago. If I could miss next year knowing I would definitely have a ticket the next year I would do. 

On 7/7/2023 at 4:24 PM, Badlands said:

It’s not only missing the festival that worries me. For that weekend, tv and social media focuses on nothing but it - like it’s the centre of the earth. I’ll have to take steps to go off grid for the weekend, camping up the lakes or something. I really don’t think I could cope with it being in my face all weekend.

Honestly, I really enjoyed spending all weekend last year in front of the telly, watching all the footage. Sometimes it's better to give in and enjoy other people's joy rather than just bitterly avoid it.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, AV81 said:

I cannot believe how much rubbish is left & just proves to me that the modern festival goer is more selfish & uncaring than they ever were back in the day.  

I'm not so sure.

Screenshot_20230709_223428_Twitter.thumb.jpg.5e25ce82773fadd774b7d886650589ed.jpg

• Upvote 3

This year was my first glasto in 7 years (Did 6 on the trott from 2010).  2017 was a ticket fail but the others  were all a conscious decision not to try, for one reason or another. When we decided to try again for tickets this year, I was apprehensive about what it would be like (new partner, would he like it, has it changed, will it be too busy....etc)

I could not stop smiling the whole 5 days and kept having waves of gratitude and appreciation for how lucky I was to be able to return. I still feel that now and say it out loud often when I'm on my own. We will try for tickets again in the autumn but if we are unsuccessful (although disappointed) I'll still be grateful for the having the chance to return to those fields and am confident I'll get the chance again and it'll be awesome when we do. The break made me really appreciate how lucky we are to experience it.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:45 AM, Popsider75 said:

Similar trip home.  Left at 7am straight off but got caught in that M6 problem. 

Arrived home at 5pm.

Horrible feeling when your knackered driving but want to get home.

I avoided the M5/M6 issue by being diverted via Bath then Oxford. Out at 6am plain sailing and home by half 9.

On 7/9/2023 at 4:22 AM, kalifire said:

July is always when I consider whether I'm done for the time being, usually because I'm exhausted after such a long journey from Australia and semi-regretting the expense of it all.

This year I feel it stronger than usual. I struggled at this year's festival...

• I wasn't really fit enough for it;
  • It felt quite lonely after going with somebody else last year;
  • The weather on Fri/Sat destroyed me to the point I was just shade-hopping and missing acts;
  • Aside from a handful of acts, the line-up was weak for me;
  • I found it difficult to deal with huge crowds

Some of those issues affected others, but all in all, G23 wasn't a vintage year for me at all.

That said, several of those issues can be resolved in different ways, and I'll definitely be trying as usual in October.

Where do you live in Australia as the weather there is crazy at times? 

If you get a ticket next year, I will if I get one go solo too even if I may know workers there, so you're more than welcome to pitch up next door or next but one/two likes. Share ciders, festival stories etc. Just so you know you have an option. Get off to baggys on Thursdays tradition and the park hill/avalon etc. Just bits that you can do aside from bands that you won't be alone for and then meet/go to any bands you fancy too.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:58 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It is highly likely that I'll never attend again. I don't even think that there's one last fandango left in me in order to do so. My last attendance was all the way back in 2014. I still enter competitions to go though, on the chance that fate dictates that I do. Other than that, then it's time for me to admit that the spurs were hung up in 2014. 

As such a regular poster I can't believe it was that long ago you last went!

4 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

As such a regular poster I can't believe it was that long ago you last went!

Hello Chip Batch,

Well, I (fortunately) found this site in 2011, before my last Glastonbury. Before that I had been to many Glastonbury's (20+). The thing is, I like this site and the people on it. I'm sure there are probably more suitable sites for the crap I often come out with (non Glastonbury related), but I haven't explored other avenues for 'self expression'.

The above said, I'm wanting to learn to weld, so may look into a forum in that area soon. I have bought a second hand very old arc welder for £25, but don't yet know how to use it. I very much want / am in great need of creating a metal sculpture that's been in my mind for far too many years now. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AV81 said:

Oh my gosh - that's nothing! You couldn't even see the ground through the rubbish in front of the Pyramid stage late Sunday night this year.....

It’s grim isn’t it ? It’s  the same at any front of stage arena/ stadium sized gig though. Once the crowds have gone there is always lots left. Unfortunately it’s the nature of it all. People who take drinks up the front are not going to walk to the back to drop an empty in a bin. I must admit I prob wouldn’t want to lose my place. It’s not pleasant but it’s the same in any gig. Even somewhere small it happens. Dancing jumping around etc means litter. Glasto is no different 

Edited by danbailey80

7 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Chip Batch,

Well, I (fortunately) found this site in 2011, before my last Glastonbury. Before that I had been to many Glastonbury's (20+). The thing is, I like this site and the people on it. I'm sure there are probably more suitable sites for the crap I often come out with (non Glastonbury related), but I haven't explored other avenues for 'self expression'.

The above said, I'm wanting to learn to weld, so may look into a forum in that area soon. I have bought a second hand very old arc welder for £25, but don't yet know how to use it. I very much want / am in great need of creating a metal sculpture that's been in my mind for far too many years now. 

Be interested in what you produce YoaS, keep us updated. Chap 2 doors up is a welder,  highly sort after for various vehicle jobs. He also does art with it. Also built a furnace in his garden for various projects. Wish I had those skills

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

It’s grim isn’t it ? It’s  the same at any front of stage arena/ stadium sized gig though. Once the crowds have gone there is always lots left. Unfortunately it’s the nature of it all. People who take drinks up the front are not going to walk to the back to drop an empty in a bin. I must admit I prob wouldn’t want to lose my place. It’s not pleasant but it’s the same in any gig. Even somewhere small it happens. Dancing jumping around etc means litter. Glasto is no different 

I try to take everything with me and drop in bins. Always think that with a massive crowd only takes everyone to forget one thing and a mess is made. Some people take the piss though,it's not hard to take your crap away

33 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

At almost all times in the festival I have an empty beer cup in my back pocket - just waiting to be binned and replaced with a new empty beer cup when I finish the next one. It's not hard to carry your rubbish around with you.

It's pretty straightforward, but culturally we just don't seem to do it - go to Japan and there's zero rubbish on the streets always - there's also no bins ANYWHERE. It's a massive pain, but in reality people just carry their litter with them and bin it when they find one, or at home.

I think as someone said earlier in the thread I may just need to start approaching the festival slightly differently. 5 nights up until like 4am take it out of me. This year I went to bed about 11pm on the Saturday and it’s amazing how much energy it gave me on the Sunday.

I will 100% be trying for tickets again but have almost resigned myself to not getting them, especially with that new ticketing system. 

My wife and I are due to have our first baby in December so whilst I would be gutted to missed out on tickets stuff like that does put things into perspective a little bit.