Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The amount of people leaving the Pyramid field on Sat as I got to GnR - says that happened this Sat too.

I left about an hour into the Gorillaz

I left Gorillaz and caught the end of Flaming Lips. Really regret not leaving sooner, what we saw of the Flaming Lips was fantastic whilst Gorillaz was dull as ditchwater

On 7/5/2023 at 2:40 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It wouldn’t make a difference, there’s no way Kate Bush will play Glastonbury. 

She doesn’t like big crowds & is a massive control freak down to the tiniest detail. Neither of those things lend themselves well to Glastonbury. If she watched Elton the size of that crowd probably gave her anxiety rather than a burning desire to play live again. 

Seeing her in 2014 is still one of, if not the, best gigs I’ve ever been to. But that show would not have worked at a festival. 

Fully agree with everything you said @Frankly Mr Shankly.  Glasto ain't happening for Kate.  Best shot we'd have is if Peter Gabriel played and convinced her to guest on Don't Give Up.  Beyond that, it's a lost cause. 

On 7/4/2023 at 4:35 PM, clarkete said:

And although Joni was incredible, we can't forget that this was the "Joni Jam" - Yes she sings some songs on her own, but the band and guests are integral to this show, namely Brandi Carlisle who acts as an MC as well as lead performer.  I dont think think this is going to tour any time soon.  It was a 3 hour show, with a lot of people and planning... 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I enjoyed it. Can see maybe why others didn't but we certainly had fun. Guests were insane, and at short notice was a great set

I watched most of it, and then went over to catch the end of Flaming Lips.  Lips were better in my opinion 

I'm still rooting on Annie Lennox getting the legend slot.  between her solo stuff (hello, "walking on broken glass") as well as all the Eurythmics stuff I think she'd absolutely smash it.  

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

How far was it actually from Joni's f**king house?  

Well, she lives in Los Angeles and this was in Washington, so a few hours on a plane.  It was no small feat.  But she's not making this a regular thing.  I'd be excited though if she did a few more though. I'd bet she does something in Canada at some point, and crossing my fingers for a Carnegie Hall thing.  but I'm not holding my breath 

19 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

No need for that!! Make me feel old.

As for the Gorillaz. I preface this with the fact I was absolutely off my head, I had to be "looked after" by my mates a few hours earlh and it's 13 years ago, so my memory might not be 100%.. but it was all a bit weird. We were pretty close to the pit - coming from the Silver Hayes (Dance Village as it was).

The set was just flat. From the start. Nowt really happened. Couldnt really work out who was on stage cos there were videos of Snoop... but he wasnt there (or was he?), and cartoons behind at times. The tunes were completely lifeless.

Overall it was a mess. Sacked it off after an hour for Fatboy Slim.

Yeah it was the oddest thing I'd seen on there in 20+ years (at that point), simply wasn't like seeing a live show, which is tragic given the talent involved. 

Far more pleasure to be had out of when blur or the good the bad and the queen played at the fest. 

44 minutes ago, rwoo said:

Did anyone go to Billy Joel at BST? Surely he’s got to be one of the bookies faves

I did. And I revoke my previous call for him to do the legends slot.

It was properly fantastic. Anything short of headliner is a criminal waste. He absolutely should insist on headline or nothing, and the festival should go all out to get him.

However Darryl Hall did turn in an hour long set that'd be perfect for the legends slot..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, incident said:

It was properly fantastic. Anything short of headliner is a criminal waste. He absolutely should insist on headline or nothing, and the festival should go all out to get him.

Which is why it’s not happened and possibly won’t ever happen. Billy Joel just isn’t nearly as big here as he is in the States where he sells out countless dates at the likes of Madison Square Garden over and over. He’s a perfect legend slot act here, both in size and how many hits he has, but he probably thinks of himself as above that kind of slot and I don’t think he’s played a festival he hasn’t headlined in… forever. 

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agreed. His face doesn't fit as a Glastonbury headliner.

Down to the delicate art of negotiation for Emily to point out the genuine legends like Diana Ross, Al Green and James Brown he'd be rubbing shoulders with.

It absolutely would fit if booked. And he'd put on a substantially better show than any of those named did, and than most of the names being chucked around for headline. Regardless of "status" putting him any lower just wastes the opportunity.

Ultimately, if the festival don't see him as a headliner, then it's the festival that is poorer for it.

Another vote for billy joel definitely headliner worthy or legend slot either would be fantastic,he was excellent at hyde park managed to grab 2 tickets on twickets when i got back from glasto ,one of those if i dont go ill regret it situations just glad i went absolutely brilliant night 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

The picnic blanket posse wouldn’t have a clue who he is

depends on their age, 'comes alive' was in everyone's album collection in the 70's.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 11:53 AM, incident said:

When, after the resale, it was confirmed we wouldn’t be Glasto bound this year, we considered options. I wanted something that was going to be memorable. So a week in NYC booked, as is Billy Joel at MSG, Aerosmith at the UBS Arena in Elmont and Psychedelic Furs/Squeeze at Radio City Music Hall.

Ok, every legend slot artist (with the exception of Kylie, and they owned her one!) started their career in the 60s or 70s. I know that's a dwindling crowd but still a good starting point. If they can sell out stadiums (think Madge, Billy Joel) they are headliners. Legends are generally Arena filling artists. Of note, ELO are the only band to play. But take Ray Davis [Kinks], Brian Wilson [Beach Boys] in to account. 

There was a rumour of Roxy Music for 2023 Legends slot that never came to fruit. I'd say that were more WH Headliners, like Bryan Ferry did in ?2014.

Eagles announcing a tour makes them in play but I think their fee would be huge.

Barry Manilow was on tour recently and he fits the spec 110%.