Self confirms 2024

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Anyone playing that slot would have been on a hiding to nothing tbh , I quite liked the speech though and the words very much resonate 

Yes it's not like James are known for being a terrible live act. They don't always play the big hits so that's probably a fair thing for casuals to be warned about. I suspect their 2016 slot was cut short because of the delays but I'd definitely be happy to check them out subject to clashes. I have seen them do amazing live gigs as well.

Edited by gigpusher

I have strangely fond memories of that James set as it was mine, my wife's and my dad's first Glastonbury and nothing, not the mud or the Brexit news was going to spoil our fun. I remember waiting for the tractor to do what it needed to do and then for James to come on. I really enjoyed the set as I like it when bands play new songs (who wants the same songs over and over again?) My dad, who admits he kind of lost interest in all new music by the mid 90's, loved it despite only knowing a couple of songs. He went on to buy that album and when we went to Beautiful Days and they played there he was insistent on seeing James and being close ish. 

We came away from that Glastonbury gig with my dad saying, "that James fella has some good tunes don't he", with me replying, "they're a band." That has never truly sunk in with my dad but he still brings up that moment on a regular basis to this day. The next few days didn't matter that Brexit had happened because for my dad especially, we were in the best place in the world, music soothing our souls and trying it's best to make us forget the mud.

The gig at Beautiful Days was technically better but the best moment was at that Glastonbury gig.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've seen James play a couple of the best gigs I've ever seen. Brixton Academy 2013 was insane.

I'm confident a big part of the Other stage set was that it got cut by about 4 songs and those songs would prob have been a feast of hits.

If they play this year they will be great. 

13 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Are they too big for Avalon headline material?

defo

they have headlined a fair few mid sized fests in recent years

They are probably around the 3rd down other mark i think

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

defo

they have headlined a fair few mid sized fests in recent years

They are probably around the 3rd down other mark i think

Maybe even a bit higher than that. Could easily see them headlining Woodsies or the Park.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Wasn't their late start due to the rather large swimming pool where the crowd was supposed to go near the stage?

Yep hence the fencing off of the field back to sound stage and the dumping of the old school straw at the front to absorb it . Wood chip must be cheaper these days . 

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Wasn't their late start due to the rather large swimming pool where the crowd was supposed to go near the stage?

Exactly that. They'd fenced off the front of the Other Stage and were waiting for tractors to come along with woodchip which caused considerable delays. Typical Glasto style, there were no announcements about this so people ended up waiting around.

Just now, FakeEmpire said:

Exactly that. They'd fenced off the front of the Other Stage and were waiting for tractors to come along with woodchip which caused considerable delays. Typical Glasto style, there were no announcements about this so people ended up waiting around.

I remember there being announcements - from Michael himself in fact - asking us to have patience?

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yes, Michael rocked up in his Land Rover to take charge of the straw spreading operation.  Sit down was omitted from the set, started with nothing but love and finished off with laid. 😉😊

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, Michael rocked up in his Land Rover to take charge of the straw spreading operation.  Sit down was omitted from the set, started with nothing but love and finished off with laid. 😉😊

I remember it well - still loved the set even though we were stuck quite far back.

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yep.  Awful morning.  Saw them at Kendal in 2018 and they were - if anything - even worse.  Opened with unknown new stuff then did a lullaby version of Sit Down with Tim Booth acting very creepy towards some young female audience members at the front.  Field emptied.

Will definitely be swerving this one.

I saw them at Kendal 2018 too and it was terrible. Think they were annoyed about being below Catfish and The Bottlemen after headlining twice in the previous few years. 

the 2012 Kendal headline set was amazing though

47 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Are they too big for Avalon headline material?

They still play the o2 arena. (Not every tour, mind).

They are a real hit and miss band for me.  Have seen them be fantastic and also seen them be pretty average. 

If they didn't clash I'd see them again as they were good at latitude last year doing the orchestral versions.

I do sort of long for a 1 hour "greatest hits" set played straight.

Saw James at Crystal Palace last year and they were fantastic. You're never going to get a 100% oldies/hits set from them, they always play newer/current songs. I've not bought one of their albums since about 1997 but have always enjoyed them live despite not knowing quite a lot of what they play. If they play this hopefully they don't cut their set short again due to showing the football.  

I've watched James on 4 occasions in recent years and they've been outstanding every single time.  They play a good mix of old and new and the new stuff is very good.  They really know how to perform and will put on an awesome show.  Can't wait.

This is the setlist from Liverpool last year.Screenshot_20240228_175217_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aa23e8912c79c3e338d11410c6d89c36.jpg

Edited by The Other Steve

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

AHH remember that! Yeah no one has actually 'sat down' I think though for Sit Down since the early 90s. They avoid playing it now but sometimes they do like BD the other year.

9 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

AHH remember that! Yeah no one has actually 'sat down' I think though for Sit Down since the early 90s. They avoid playing it now but sometimes they do like BD the other year.

They've played it at every gig I've been to recently and it comes across well.  You are right though. Sitting down was a 90s phase.

9 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yes it's not like James are known for being a terrible live act. They don't always play the big hits so that's probably a fair thing for casuals to be warned about. I suspect their 2016 slot was cut short because of the delays but I'd definitely be happy to check them out subject to clashes. I have seen them do amazing live gigs as well.

i remember seeing them in (i think) 1994 when the second stage was in a different place (close to where leftfield is now).