Lana Del Rey Curfew

Tom_12

1 hour ago, Lubic said:

Apologies if I missed this last night, but can someone who knows what they are talking about regarding licenses, fines etc please explain why Macca was allowed to play until nearly half 12 and Lana was cut off at midnight?"

"It's Macca" isn't good enough imo. Not looking for an argument, genuinely wondering

Pyramid headliners on Saturday always get a later curfew. I think the festival have had issues with late noise in the local villages, hence other stages ending earlier.

She's admitted it was because of her hair... as Thunderstruck rather succinctly put it "She’s an idiot. f**king doing her hair, what a load of bullshit. She can get f**ked."

There is quite a complex cumultive sound curfew across the site, so after a certain time they can't max out a certain dB for a certain time period, which is why a lot of the curfews across stages are staggered and often sound is dipped accordingly. I can't even pretend to understand it, but they definitely are aware of not pissing off the local community, because it could be a real nightmare once that sort of grumbling takes hold.

26 minutes ago, Lemon T-wig said:

Pyramid headliners on Saturday always get a later curfew. I think the festival have had issues with late noise in the local villages, hence other stages ending earlier.

She's admitted it was because of her hair... as Thunderstruck rather succinctly put it "She’s an idiot. f**king doing her hair, what a load of bullshit. She can get f**ked."

I’m sure the festival would have cut her some slack if they could but being 30mins late to a set is pretty bad and being late because of something so trivial as her hair wouldn’t put her in good stead with the stage runner. 

Kinda feel regardless of who you are, that situation wouldn’t fly with anyone. Plus she didn’t really get off to a good start with the festival when they first announced her…

I thought the whole 'doing her hair' was a joke. Didn't realise that was the actual reason. Jesus wept. 

Not like you had all day is it Lana you know what with you going on last? 

Shoddy excuse and deserves the stick. 

24 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

I’m sure the festival would have cut her some slack if they could but being 30mins late to a set is pretty bad and being late because of something so trivial as her hair wouldn’t put her in good stead with the stage runner. 

Kinda feel regardless of who you are, that situation wouldn’t fly with anyone. Plus she didn’t really get off to a good start with the festival when they first announced her…

The festival probably wouldn't mind, but the late noise has put the licence for the festival in jeopardy. Do you think she deserves some slack if it means no more Glastonbury.

I guess for her, her hair isn't trivial... which kind of summarises why she's so dull

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lubic said:

Apologies if I missed this last night, but can someone who knows what they are talking about regarding licenses, fines etc please explain why Macca was allowed to play until nearly half 12 and Lana was cut off at midnight?"

"It's Macca" isn't good enough imo. Not looking for an argument, genuinely wondering

The festival will get away with it for the odd occurrence, but keep doing it & they’ll end up having the license revoked. They probably bent the rules for McCartney because they felt it was worth it. They didn’t for Lana because she was late of her own making & entitled. 

1 minute ago, Lemon T-wig said:

The festival probably wouldn't mind, but the late noise has put the licence for the festival in jeopardy. Do you think she deserves some slack if it means no more Glastonbury.

I guess for her, her hair isn't trivial... which kind of summarises why she's so dull

I just feel as an artist when you’re booked to play any show/gig/festival, you sign a contract with terms and conditions. Being 30mins late for a slot you’ve agreed to play is quite bad. Why should the festival cut an artist slack when all the other acts have stuck to their set time? 

im sure glasto will want her to play again. It will be down to LDR if she wants to come back. As someone said earlier, it’s really the fans that lose in these situations but don’t think the festival can set a precedent to allow artists to carry on playing and turn up whenever they want when they are due to start

Read somewhere that Eavis/organisers have to pay a fine to Mendip Council if they break curfew - AND offer an explanation to the licence review board.

That makes sense. If it was just the former, it would happen regularly, with artists covering the bill.

It's probably easier to excuse Springsteen or Macca running over than an artist who started 30min late...

13 hours ago, mungo57 said:

Further compounds my opinions on LDR - can’t stand her music and now I can’t stand her entitled selfish bitch self even less than I could previously

It is perfectly possible to criticise her behaviour without resorting to misogynistic language

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Went to see LDR over GNR because my daughter wanted to see her (I hadn’t heard any of her songs so had no idea what to expect).

We quite enjoyed the set but the delay at the start led to a good discussion between me, my son and daughter about how time is the most precious resource (especially at Glastonbury) and how disrespectful it is to be late for an audience that’s chosen to see you over any of the other dozens of  fabulous distractions around the site. 

If her excuse for being late really was because she was getting her hair done then she deserves all the flak heading her way. I’m disappointed that my daughter didn’t get to hear the full set but agree with the decision to just cut the sound and screens off. Be professional, turn up on time and respect the audience. It’s that simple (unless you’re a diva wannabe and think the rules don’t apply to you). 

As well as the hair admission, she also said (words to the effect of) "they are trying to get me to change my setlist".  Presumably they were trying to get her to cut songs, to allow the big ones at the end and a finish within curfew.  But she said (again, words to the effect of)  "I'm just going to play on - and if they cut me off, they cut me off".

So - she knew she was late, and she knew there was discussion about a hard curfew.  Am assuming she either thought they wouldn't dare cut her off, or didn't really care either way.

All a real shame, because as others have said, the set was shaping up to be one of the highlights of the whole festival, and the crowd in that field was enormous.

I don't buy this whole anti-Glasto agenda thing people seem to be pushing. She's been late to her last two festival appearances, and I imagine she will be for her next shows too. More terminally unprofessional than specifically targeting Glasto.

I really was thinking about getting a ticket for Hyde Park to hopefully see this full set live, but honestly I don't want to give her any more of my money right now. I looked forward to that set more than any other and now that a few days have passed, I'm feeling less forgiving (because of how gorgeous what we did see was) and more pissed off at her.

I've loved Lana a long time without ever seeing her live, and I think I'll be quite happy to remain a fan that way going forward.

• Like 1

It's annoying because her set was great. Well before it was cut off. Sounded great live. Despite it not being fast stuff and usually liking something heavier to finish the night on. It was good. Shame it ended that way. Sure more will come out to exactly the reason. 

Do find it odd though how there's strict curfews on a main stage. Yet all you can heard until 4am is arcadia and the dance stages. I was off site as well and could still hear it. Sure locals can as well. But that's not excuse for her. Just find it a little odd. But I'm no sound engineer 

On 6/25/2023 at 11:20 AM, Lubic said:

The answer is ‘it’s Macca.’ The festival allows headliners to run over very rarely indeed and when they do it’s going to be someone absolutely huge like a Macca or a Springsteen. Who started on time.

We simply don't know the implications of overrunning in terms of licensing the event going forward. Macca may have been the final straw from the perspective of the licensers, and clearly handing out fines has little impact if the artist just stumps up the cash. It's also possible that the sound from the other is more impactful than the pyramid on locals who oppose the festival.

And with regard to Macca and Bruce overrunning, I suspect that Michael or Emily are there to green-light an overrun, but on the other, whomever is in charge there is under strict instructions to end it at midnight - you cannot have a situation where any stage can overrun just because an artist wants to and would pay the fine. You'd probably get overruns at every festival and that really would jeopardise the license.

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

We simply don't know the implications of overrunning in terms of licensing the event going forward. Macca may have been the final straw from the perspective of the licensers, and clearly handing out fines has little impact if the artist just stumps up the cash. It's also possible that the sound from the other is more impactful than the pyramid on locals who oppose the festival.

And with regard to Macca and Bruce overrunning, I suspect that Michael or Emily are there to green-light an overrun, but on the other, whomever is in charge there is under strict instructions to end it at midnight - you cannot have a situation where any stage can overrun just because an artist wants to and would pay the fine. You'd probably get overruns at every festival and that really would jeopardise the license.

Didn't Macca start a bit late? Like 10 mins maybe?

I don't have an issue with him overrunning but equally should have been no need for him to go over as much as he did. If he wanted to play for longer they could have juggled stuff earlier in the day.

(Contrast Elton who spent days rehearsing the show to bring it in bang on two hours).