Lana Del Rey Curfew

Tom_12

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Didn't Macca start a bit late? Like 10 mins maybe?

I don't have an issue with him overrunning but equally should have been no need for him to go over as much as he did. If he wanted to play for longer they could have juggled stuff earlier in the day.

(Contrast Elton who spent days rehearsing the show to bring it in bang on two hours).

This is true. Given his setlist, his team would have known it was going to be a 3-hour show and should have communicated this with the festival in order to be sure that he was onstage at 8:45.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:02 AM, Barry Fish said:

So you don't know what it was but you know it wasn't hair 😜 

she comes across as a typical self important insta generation type.  Oh they will wait for me...  I'm that important....

reality check for Lana 

Still, the gurdian gave her 5 out of 5...

insta generation type? She's nearly 40!

1 hour ago, Barry Trotter said:

It's annoying because her set was great. Well before it was cut off. Sounded great live. Despite it not being fast stuff and usually liking something heavier to finish the night on. It was good. Shame it ended that way. Sure more will come out to exactly the reason. 

Do find it odd though how there's strict curfews on a main stage. Yet all you can heard until 4am is arcadia and the dance stages. I was off site as well and could still hear it. Sure locals can as well. But that's not excuse for her. Just find it a little odd. But I'm no sound engineer 

Its to do with the size of the stage and the size/ power of the sound system the stage uses. 
so all the biggest stages have the midnight curfew and all the smaller stages/ venues can carry on. 

I think theres actually 3 or 4 classifications of stages and venues all with slightly different cut off times. 

I really wanted to see her at Lollapalooza Chicago in 2016 

She turned up 20 mins late then during the second song she headed down to the crowd and took selfies, collected flowers and teddy bears for 15 mins whisky the band played instrumental on loop and she pranced about telling people she loved them and shaking hands 

I left and went to see Last Shadow Puppets on a tiny stage with maybe 100 people not having a clue who they were 

she’s never and will never have a second chance off me since 

On the overrun I always thought it was due to crowd control, both finishing together or the other stage earlier, as they didn’t want the pyramid and other stage meeting on their way to SE corner or Glade - I’ve been wrong all these years thinking that 

Is there any footage of this whole situation? I'd kinda like to watch it back. Once they cut the power and turned the house lights on I got a bit pissed off and rushed off to meet my mates who'd just watched GnR.

It was very frustrated. I think she's amazing but I didn't know too much of her set - I didn't get as much enjoyment out of it as I would have if I'd heard the likes of Venice Bitch, National Anthem, Video Games and Summertime Sadness to top it all off. It's left a very bitter taste in my mouth after an amazing festival. What was objectively quite an amazing show suddenly feels very underwhelming, and I feel like she's totally to blame.

So, I have just got off the phone to a friend who works at Other Stage - won't say more as I don't want to identify him for obvious reasons.

Apparently this all started because her stylist was late getting on site - apparently there was either a mixup with the pass or travel issues: he isn't sure. She was told several times by the stage manager (and also confirmed with Michael/Emily) that under no circumstances could it go past the curfew because it needs to be staggered. She was offered to be put in contact with various stylists on site for other artists but she refused. Essentially said "the crowd will wait for me and you can't do anything about it". Said she retreated to her dressing room/trailer with her manager/entourage and refused to discuss it further.

Stylist turns up, and again they stress to her that if she's late on, she'll need to cut songs. Again, her and her road manager just brush it off and tell them that the crowd are all there to see her. Won't discuss it further. People frantically running round calling for her to come out and go on. She won't engage. Eventually they threaten to pull her entire set and she reluctantly goes on but manager is being really aggressive to the stage crew at the start of the set. Refusing to drop any songs despite being told again that it's an absolute midnight limit.

Set starts, stage crew are telling her from the side that she needs to drop songs. They were desperate not to embarrass her so they're trying to communicate this. Manager still being a dick at this point. Then she starts vaping (the festival will get fined for this) and this really pisses everyone off. Stylist comes on and starts doing her hair on stage, which confused everyone. A few more attempts to get her to take out songs (she alludes to this on stage) and then there's another panic as deadline approaches, more calls to Michael/Emily and the decision is made to cut the set.

He had to go off and deal with an issue elsewhere at this point, but apparently it got very ugly backstage after. Threats of legal action, shouting and screaming. Saying that they'll "ruin the festival".

I'm actually a massive Lana fan (last two albums are amazing) but I have had similar experiences live with her (the disappearing into the front of the crowd for 20 minutes especially) so I went to Guns n' Roses instead. I'm really sorry for everyone involved here especially the crowd - two girls I was camping with were absolutely devastated as it was their highlight of the festival. I can understand people being angry at the festival but this is the sort of thing that loses stage managers and experienced crew their jobs and reputations. And it's a fair point that Bruce and Macca were given more time but A) they didn't behave rudely to the stage crew before going on and B) the festival was fined and given a severe telling off for both of those things and the festival does have to be very careful these days with complaints and the council. There are a lot of people in the council and living locally who would be more than happy for the festival to be permanently cancelled, or hugely scaled back.

Having watched the show back, what is there is magnificent. That could have been one of the all time great sets. I'm sure she'll have her reasons and maybe she just assumed it was edgy to do it, but apparently the stage crew were saying that they've never had to deal with such a stressful and rude situation in their career. And some of them have worked at Glastonbury for 25 years.

Just sad for all involved ☹️

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 10

7 hours ago, TaffmanG said:

Went to see LDR over GNR because my daughter wanted to see her (I hadn’t heard any of her songs so had no idea what to expect).

We quite enjoyed the set but the delay at the start led to a good discussion between me, my son and daughter about how time is the most precious resource (especially at Glastonbury) and how disrespectful it is to be late for an audience that’s chosen to see you over any of the other dozens of  fabulous distractions around the site. 

If her excuse for being late really was because she was getting her hair done then she deserves all the flak heading her way. I’m disappointed that my daughter didn’t get to hear the full set but agree with the decision to just cut the sound and screens off. Be professional, turn up on time and respect the audience. It’s that simple (unless you’re a diva wannabe and think the rules don’t apply to you). 

Lizzo made a similar point and thanked the crowd for their time.

When someone thinks that their time is more important to them than yours is to you…. f**k em!

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Is there any footage of this whole situation? I'd kinda like to watch it back. Once they cut the power and turned the house lights on I got a bit pissed off and rushed off to meet my mates who'd just watched GnR.

It was very frustrated. I think she's amazing but I didn't know too much of her set - I didn't get as much enjoyment out of it as I would have if I'd heard the likes of Venice Bitch, National Anthem, Video Games and Summertime Sadness to top it all off. It's left a very bitter taste in my mouth after an amazing festival. What was objectively quite an amazing show suddenly feels very underwhelming, and I feel like she's totally to blame.

Not whole situation as it was baffling but I got this little video of the very end. Time stanp of 00.04 am

• Upvote 1

Long time lurker, first time poster 👋🏻.

I had no thoughts on Lana beforehand but her music wouldn’t be my cup of tea. 

Every single artist I went to see this weekend was so appreciative and thankful. Mel C said the crowd exceeded way beyond how she thought her set would go and she looked so pumped to be there. Her smiles and excitement to her people at side of stage said it all. This is from someone who was part of one of the biggest pop groups In the world and has played to massive crowds. Becky Hill almost cried. Even Lizzo, arguably 1 of the biggest pop stars in the world right now, was so appreciative and taked about being in a small tent playing to barely everyone years ago at Glasto. I know a lot of artists do the whole ‘I’m so thankful’ drama, but these ones at least seemed sincere to me. 

This behaviour from Lana stinks. I actually can’t believe she’s being defended. The only acceptable reason for an artist being late IMO is a medical or family emergency. It’s her job ffs, she turned in half way through her set. It would be like me going to work at 1pm and expecting no consequences.  Even more annoying are her fans saying SLAYYYY and saying her behaviour is Queen like (they’re most teenagers though so can forgive their naivety). 

If the above about her stylist is true, put her in the bin and don’t invite her back. 

32 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Not whole situation as it was baffling but I got this little video of the very end. Time stanp of 00.04 am

Thank you for this mate. I've just checked and it turns out I have a video from the exact same time but I wasn't in the front pit so couldn't really hear it being sung. What happened after the crowd finished Video Games?

2 hours ago, foolsgold1981 said:

So, I have just got off the phone to a friend who works at Other Stage - won't say more as I don't want to identify him for obvious reasons.

Apparently this all started because her stylist was late getting on site - apparently there was either a mixup with the pass or travel issues: he isn't sure. She was told several times by the stage manager (and also confirmed with Michael/Emily) that under no circumstances could it go past the curfew because it needs to be staggered. She was offered to be put in contact with various stylists on site for other artists but she refused. Essentially said "the crowd will wait for me and you can't do anything about it". Said she retreated to her dressing room/trailer with her manager/entourage and refused to discuss it further.

Stylist turns up, and again they stress to her that if she's late on, she'll need to cut songs. Again, her and her road manager just brush it off and tell them that the crowd are all there to see her. Won't discuss it further. People frantically running round calling for her to come out and go on. She won't engage. Eventually they threaten to pull her entire set and she reluctantly goes on but manager is being really aggressive to the stage crew at the start of the set. Refusing to drop any songs despite being told again that it's an absolute midnight limit.

Set starts, stage crew are telling her from the side that she needs to drop songs. They were desperate not to embarrass her so they're trying to communicate this. Manager still being a dick at this point. Then she starts vaping (the festival will get fined for this) and this really pisses everyone off. Stylist comes on and starts doing her hair on stage, which confused everyone. A few more attempts to get her to take out songs (she alludes to this on stage) and then there's another panic as deadline approaches, more calls to Michael/Emily and the decision is made to cut the set.

He had to go off and deal with an issue elsewhere at this point, but apparently it got very ugly backstage after. Threats of legal action, shouting and screaming. Saying that they'll "ruin the festival".

I'm actually a massive Lana fan (last two albums are amazing) but I have had similar experiences live with her (the disappearing into the front of the crowd for 20 minutes especially) so I went to Guns n' Roses instead. I'm really sorry for everyone involved here especially the crowd - two girls I was camping with were absolutely devastated as it was their highlight of the festival. I can understand people being angry at the festival but this is the sort of thing that loses stage managers and experienced crew their jobs and reputations. And it's a fair point that Bruce and Macca were given more time but A) they didn't behave rudely to the stage crew before going on and B) the festival was fined and given a severe telling off for both of those things and the festival does have to be very careful these days with complaints and the council. There are a lot of people in the council and living locally who would be more than happy for the festival to be permanently cancelled, or hugely scaled back.

Having watched the show back, what is there is magnificent. That could have been one of the all time great sets. I'm sure she'll have her reasons and maybe she just assumed it was edgy to do it, but apparently the stage crew were saying that they've never had to deal with such a stressful and rude situation in their career. And some of them have worked at Glastonbury for 25 years.

Just sad for all involved ☹️

Thanks for the info- any word on why it’s not on iPlayer? And why would vaping result in a fine? 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Thanks for the info- any word on why it’s not on iPlayer? And why would vaping result in a fine? 

Ah, the vaping thing was my interpretation as she was apparently told it was prohibited on stage so it irritated them, but I’ve just checked and it turns out that that’s just Glastonbury’s own ban as opposed to any legislation, so my error there!

No idea with iPlayer - obviously The Grants and Born to Die are on there so they were clearly there to film it, but nothing else. Best I can find is this website 

https://thetab.com/uk/2023/06/26/heres-the-frustrating-reason-why-lana-del-reys-glastonbury-set-isnt-on-iplayer-314406

Edited by foolsgold1981
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Thank you for this mate. I've just checked and it turns out I have a video from the exact same time but I wasn't in the front pit so couldn't really hear it being sung. What happened after the crowd finished Video Games?

Not much, she came to side door to hug a few fans I think.

8 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

So male stars are allowed to overrun?

Madonna probably will get to go late if it happens. Lana is Madonna? Thought so. I bet you theyll let Taylor Swift whenever she ends up playing and decides to do the 3 hour set. If you can sell out stadiums for a week straight in one city you can do anything. Not being half assed about whatever is happening.

Lana was the highlight and the lowlight of the weekend.

Her performance and staging was fab. A beautiful, messy performance. The curfew was a lowlight and a disgrace. Especially if it's true old male rockers were allowed to overrun in the past.

Some of the responses slagging off LDR and her late arrival are a little bit sad. This is the music industry folks. Artists often misbehave. Do we want Glastonbury to be a sanitised, disneyfied experience? Are the main stages only to be populated by non threatening boys and girls?

IMO Glastonbury are 100% at fault here. First of all she should have headlined the pyramid anyway instead of the cock rock we got all weekend. (With the exception of Elton who deserved his send off.) Her music catalogue over the past 8 years is simply a stunning body of work. 

Secondly selecting her slot to start at 10-30 and giving her only 1hr and 15 was asking for trouble if indeed there was a 12am curfew. 

Thirdly Glastonbury showed great disrespect to their customers who for many like myself LDR was to be the highlight of the whole festival. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Madonna probably will get to go late if it happens. Lana is Madonna? Thought so. I bet you theyll let Taylor Swift whenever she ends up playing and decides to do the 3 hour set. If you can sell out stadiums for a week straight in one city you can do anything. Not being half assed about whatever is happening.

Oh yea let's turn the festival into a tribute for over the hill artists. 

After last year and the subsequent censure from Mendip CC, no one on the main five stages was going to get any latitude on curfew - I’m guessing they were all briefed on it, and all the Pyramid headliners came in on time (Elton played pretty much exactly 9pm to 11pm) L.

• Like 1