Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

14 minutes ago, prestonmike said:

other festivals have an arena area where you have to go through security to get from the camp site to the stages, Glastonbury doesnt have that so it'll be more difficult to manage unless they check everyones luggage on entry

I know that's the flow into the arena at Reading, which had flags briefly then banned them in 2009. Something their organisers were keen to shout about after announcing it: Melvin Benn: 'I was right to ban flags at Reading And Leeds Festivals' (nme.com)

Maybe they should just be banned beyond a certain point so they don't get too close to the stage. It does seem like most of the flag w*nkers are the same people who like to spend their entire day at the same stage and slowly work their way closer to the front. Which leads to a lot of flags in front of the stage, but surprisingly few further back in the crowd.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lakey91 said:

Maybe they should just be banned beyond a certain point so they don't get too close to the stage. It does seem like most of the flag w*nkers are the same people who like to spend their entire day at the same stage and slowly work their way closer to the front. Which leads to a lot of flags in front of the stage, but surprisingly few further back in the crowd.

This has always been my thought. It's the ones at the very front that spoil absolutely everyone's view. Getting in and out at the entrance to the crush barrier is always a nightmare. Could put security there and make one side an entrance, one an exit and they could check for flags at the same time. Solves two problems at once.

Find flags useful for finding your mate in the crowd. Though we only put them up when we're trying to meet up with friends. Occasionally someone else near us in the crowd will ask us to put it back up so their friend can find them. Flags can be useful, but the people that wave them around at the front just to be seen on tv are selfish dicks.

14 hours ago, henry bear said:

Other places to stand are available

Lets be honest though, for headliner performances at the Pyramid, 99% of the crowd can't see the stage for flag w*nkers. It's not like you can just move to the side a little to get a better view when there are so many of them and a lot of them are right at the front spoiling everyone's view.

4 hours ago, Homersexual said:

Every year, like clockwork.

The flags, the mud and the Scousers chewing their faces off are all fundamental parts of the Glastonbury experience - and they always will be.

But you can control the flags. So lets try to make people happy with that. Some shade and no flags, thats not a lot to ask for.

My favourite was yesterday. Don’t know if it was shown on the tv at home as well, but when Dave Grohl ran on at the start of the churnups set, the tv camera for the screens at the side of the stage tried to show a shot of him. Only a flag got in the way. So the emotional start of the surprise gig was just a shot of someone’s flag. Brilliant. 

I'd say ban flags forward of the sound desk.

Put up 4 fixed flag poles so people can still use those to find their way back to their mates. Sell flag space for charity so if you must absolutely have your county flag or your mate's face on TV for a few seconds, something good can come of it.

10 hours ago, Homersexual said:

Every year, like clockwork.

The flags, the mud and the Scousers chewing their faces off are all fundamental parts of the Glastonbury experience - and they always will be.

Nah, flags will get banned eventually, it's already a bone of contention with the BBC, eventually it'll come to ahead.

(Or the beeb will just use AI to digitally remove them in real time and so folk will stop bringing them as that was the whole point)

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah, flags will get banned eventually, it's already a bone of contention with the BBC, eventually it'll come to ahead.

(Or the beeb will just use AI to digitally remove them in real time and so folk will stop bringing them as that was the whole point)

Finally, someone has found a good use for AI 🙂

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The same debate crops up every year and has done since I started going to the festival in 2008. I've no doubt it preceeded then too. If you want change you've got to get organised - start a petition, write to the festival. Moaning about it on here won't help. It never has.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, Welshinexile said:

I can’t see the pyramid stage or the screens cos of the flags .

Jesus, enough! They are awful.

and I not normally thus grumpy 😅 But they are a scourge on the festival 🫣

This is just not true. Screens are plenty big enough to see through the flags. Find a better spot.