Anyone else not 'feeling' it?

Chrisp1986

Never thought I would be saying this but I am having doubts about wanting to go now!

I live for Glastonbury but just git back from an amazing weekend at Bearded Theory and feel maybe a little 'festivaled out'. Also, as I am going alone I am not sure whether to coach or drive alone (for 8 hours each way).

Anyone else not as excited as normal? Sorry to be negative. Think it's mainly as Bearded was so amazing and can't see how Glastonbury could match it!

• Upvote 1

Maybe take time off the forum and unsubscribe from the Glasto related feeds on social media. The hype can be a bit OTT, better to take a digital festival detox and revisit a few days before the festival when hopefully your festival energy is recharged.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Festival come down is a real thing, they take so much out of you physically as well as the sensory overload.

I know I couldn't do two so close together as you're doing, so don't give yourself a hard time over what you're feeling right now, & see how you are in a week or so.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Never thought I would be saying this but I am having doubts about wanting to go now!

I live for Glastonbury but just git back from an amazing weekend at Bearded Theory and feel maybe a little 'festivaled out'. Also, as I am going alone I am not sure whether to coach or drive alone (for 8 hours each way).

Anyone else not as excited as normal? Sorry to be negative. Think it's mainly as Bearded was so amazing and can't see how Glastonbury could match it!

yep feeling the same way but I'm sure its the bearded come down. 

Everything will be fine in a few days.

The line up drop will help.

Me. I debated whether to pay off my balance til the very last minute due to cash but did, and now I think I regret it. 

I am absolutely skint and have no idea how I will pay for the weekend. If they were still doing refunds I would probably put my ticket back in. 

I will sort my mindset out by the end of June, but it’s a worry. 

10 minutes ago, themuel said:

I am absolutely skint and have no idea how I will pay for the weekend. If they were still doing refunds I would probably put my ticket back in. 

Im sorry to hear this

Glastonbury can be done relatively cheaply by cooking your own breakfast and bringing your own drinks. If youre coming in the car this is easy enough to do, but less so by public transport.

I reckon with the above you probably need about £20 a day, but would be hard to see others with cold pints and think it was outside your budget.

Also this assumes you already have all your camping gear, and doesnt account for fuel / transport. 

Edited by Memory Man

I've experienced several festival comedowns before. Even decided to move house during one - which turned out to be a good decision as all my negative feelings was focused on the city I lived, so they can be productive as well 😃

Take some time away from eFests, Twitter, anywhere you'll see Glasto stuff. Have an infotainment detox.

Come back after a couple of weeks of having chicken stews and risottos, all that warm hearty cosy kinda food.

I'm sure you'll feel different to how you're feeling now. If not, then no biggie.

Yeah me. I wanted my 5 year old and my wife to come with me.  The wife was insistent she would wait for our 16 year old's GCSE timetable. I encouraged her to just put the deposit down but she wouldn't be persuaded.  My last Glastonbury was 2017 - the year we got pregnant with our five year old.  In that time I have been a stay at home dad and have barely had a night away from our five year old.  I'm going with an old friend but without my wife and daughter I'm really not feeling it. My wife thinks it will do me good to go and be me but I'm far from convinced. 

Edited by Stone_Love

It’s taken me a while to feel it but I do now. This’ll be my only proper festival of the year, mind. 

Glad you had a great weekend at Bearded Theory, been tempted by that one meself. Every other festival I’ve done except Isle of Wight comes later in the festival year than Glastonbury so no risk of getting festivaled out here.. but yeah, second the suggestions of maybe switching off from Glastonbury related newsfeeds and social media for a bit. Even if the consensus appears to be today is the day the full lineup drops… maybe that’ll be the prompt you need to feel it.

Peaks and troughs - in general I am super excited, but I'm also crazy busy between now and then (barely a day off) and I'm already feeling run down, so feeling quite daunted. It's a huge physical, psychological and emotional output, its understandable to have mixed feelings. I know I'll be fine when I get there (the burn out will hit afterwards...) but I wish I had some down time to prepare...

I find that the relentless build-up can make everything a bit overwhelming, including when at the festival, so usually as soon as the full lineup is revealed, I ease right back on the social media, including this website. By now, I should pretty much know everything I need to know, the most important aspect will be to finalise plans with friends, which I'll be doing this weekend. This site is a great gap-filler and source of discussion but I find I'm guilty of over-hyping it to the point of being detrimental to my actual festival experience (living up to expectations, creating an overly romantic view), so easing back protects me from that feeling. Lessons learned from previous years. 

I did a one day festival this weekend gone - Slam Dunk South. I absolutely loved it and thankfully managed to avoid a lot of the issues that others were talking about. HOWEVER, we woke up at 5am and got home and into bed by 2am, and I was wiped. I remember thinking walking around the much smaller site "Oh f**k, how am I gonna cope!?!?!?" And I'm heading to Glastonbury right off the back of IOW festival too. Thankfully we have a flat we're staying in for that and we're in a camper for Glastonbury, but part of me is a touch anxious as to how exhausted I'm going to be. 

The day after a festival isn’t the time to be worrying about this. Take a few days to recharge and you’ll feel differently. “Suicide Tuesday” after Glasto Im always a mess mentally and physically. Drink water, eat healthily and get plenty of sleep. Let the seratonin levels steady again.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Bearded was ace. Perfect weather too.

Festival comedown!

When I used to do about 5-6 festivals a year I used to come back from some and think about how on earth am I going to handle the next one, usually when I came home on the Monday and couldn't face the thought of any more excessive boozing and drug taking, or I'd just had such a good time I convinced myself I couldn't repeat it again.

Perhaps take a step back from 'digital Glastonbury' for a week or so and when the time feels right come back on here in the last bit of the build up. 🙂 

I have refrained from the build up quite a bit this year normally glued to this site but just been popping in now and then. I think last year I over hyped it and it didn’t fully live up to my expectations as in previous years, don’t know if it’s me getting older or I just got too excited with it being the first one back after all the lockdown nonsense. Also worried that I’m going to Dublin the weekend before and dreading the hangover from that. 

1 hour ago, themuel said:

Me. I debated whether to pay off my balance til the very last minute due to cash but did, and now I think I regret it. 

If I wasn't so skint myself I would give you money. I have done this before for an efester who was broke. It is indeed a bastard being skint.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Rate my comedown: 4/10

😂 

1 hour ago, Stone_Love said:

Yeah me. I wanted my 5 year old and my wife to come with me.  The wife was insistent she would wait for our 16 year old's GCSE timetable. I encouraged her to just put the deposit down but she wouldn't be persuaded.  My last Glastonbury was 2017 - the year we got pregnant with our five year old.  In that time I have been a stay at home dad and have barely had a night away from our five year old.  I'm going with an old friend but without my wife and daughter I'm really not feeling it. My wife thinks it will do me good to go and be me but I'm far from convinced. 

Last year was my first since 2016 and I also went without my wife / family for the first time as volunteering solo was the only way I could get to go. It felt odd in all sorts of ways because I wasn’t sure how the volunteering would work out and it was also my first time solo. Based on my experience all I can say is that your wife is almost certainly right. I had a blast and hopefully you will too. Sure there will be moments when you wish they were with you but the Glastonbury magic is powerful stuff. Stay in the moment and let it happen… you will have a wonderful time I’m sure and will soon be looking forward to the many times in the future when you can all go together again. 

• Like 1

I'm in two minds, as is usual for me, going from this will be fantastic to can I be bothered.

Things I'm looking forward to driving through Red gate and along the railway track, through Undleground (where I inevitably see and talk to a few mates) and then into Dragon Field to meet and catch up with our crew. Hanging out with and catching up with numerous old friends, many of whom I only ever see at Glastonbury. Hopefully meeting a few from this forum. Hanging out in Maceos and partying "pre-festival".

I'm pretty excited by the "dance music/electronica side of things this year. The revamped Silver Hayes looks very promising.

After that it could go either way, dependent on several factors: weather, overcrowding (or not) and the general vibe.