Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

16 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Whilst sinking 3 or 5 pints at my local gay bar last night we got to talking about how great it would be if there was a little tent that just did drag cabaret at Glastonbury.  Can I put in for a late afternoon of drag queens singing and being bitchy please?

The bread and roses bar last year had a great drag/cabaret act on last year. So good I went on the Saturday and Sunday night. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

The bread and roses bar last year had a great drag/cabaret act on last year. So good I went on the Saturday and Sunday night. 

I saw Ruby Wednesday in the Bread and Roses on Sunday night after the Pyramid headliner the last two festivals. Pretty good act even though they did give me some abuse for leaving early the first year. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Obiginnaw said:

anyone reckon they could do anything with stonebridge this year? absolute roadblock from thursday afternoon all the way through (a lot moreso than previous years), but seems in a really awkward position to really expand it

Seems a bit of victim of it's own success. I always enjoyed Baggy Mondays but the crowds were so horrendous last year we gave up and went elsewhere as you couldn't hear a thing. 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, Obiginnaw said:

anyone reckon they could do anything with stonebridge this year? absolute roadblock from thursday afternoon all the way through (a lot moreso than previous years), but seems in a really awkward position to really expand it

It needs to either change the size/position of the venue or get smaller acts. 

Was far far too busy last year. 

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

It needs to either change the size/position of the venue or get smaller acts. 

Was far far too busy last year. 

the only way things will get quieter on the pre main stage  days is to remove the music altogether ......reducing the venues only makes everything else busier .... those williams green people have to go somewhere 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the only way things will get quieter on the pre main stage  days is to remove the music altogether ......reducing the venues only makes everything else busier .... those williams green people have to go somewhere 

Think that’s the truth of it. They need more to spread the crowds. The overwhelming majority of people now arrive Weds and want a 5 day party.  It’s a huge contrast to the first few I attended where attendees built gradually over Weds/Thurs and even a good number arriving Friday.

People seeking entertainment and spectacle on Thursday now are like a swarm of flies on shit, so there needs to be no shit, or heaps of it.

13 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Think that’s the truth of it. They need more to spread the crowds. The overwhelming majority of people now arrive Weds and want a 5 day party.  It’s a huge contrast to the first few I attended where attendees built gradually over Weds/Thurs and even a good number arriving Friday.

People seeking entertainment and spectacle on Thursday now are like a swarm of flies on shit, so there needs to be no shit, or heaps of it.

For the price tag I think that's what people expect now. It's almost always increased in price faster than wages since at least the start of this century, people (rightly)want more entertainment. 

11 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

For the price tag I think that's what people expect now. It's almost always increased in price faster than wages since at least the start of this century, people (rightly)want more entertainment. 

True. My first time I arrived late Thursday evening. I soon realised my mistake and have been going earlier and earlier ever since. I enjoy the Wednesday and Thursday entertainment even though it’s mainly low key. I even saw a band play on the Tuesday night last year! (On the Hill of Death).

16 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

expectation or not they still need to operate in a safe manner .... and im not sure how possible that is now on the wed and Thurs 

Just reading a Guardian article about Eltons touring stage set up. It’s going to be fascinating to see how this is represented on the Pymild…… gonna need some changes!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2023/mar/22/designing-elton-john-final-tour-farewell-yellow-brick-road-in-pictures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

6FE78233-0C34-41CB-9E76-B105A4850219.webp

Edited by chuckles07

4 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Wonder if there'll be a bigger gap between Nas X and EJ owing to his stage set up? I don't doubt that it's not going to be the same set up as his tour but i think he'll want it to be pretty special.

Possibly, I’m sure I read that he is excited that special things are being planned 

14 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yep, my first few in the mid-00s people turned up slowly over weds and thurs and those that were there generally sat at their campsites during the day and perhaps had a wander in the evening up to the stone circle or whatever, if you were lucky you might get a bar with DJ or the leftfield tent with something on.

Now most people turn up Weds AM and want instant entertainment.....

I notice it even within our own group, sometimes the younger cohort want to fly out of the campsite as soon as the tents are up to find something to watch up whereas us older ones want to kick back with a few cans for a bit.....

Edited by gooner1990

14 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

expectation or not they still need to operate in a safe manner .... and im not sure how possible that is now on the wed and Thurs 

It's pretty much unavoidable.  The majority of people arrive on the Wednesday so the rest of the site has got to absorb the crowd that would otherwise mostly fill  the pyramid, other stage and west holts.

It'd be nice if Mendip council realised that if they want to reduce the potentially dangerous overcrowding, they'd need to change the licence to allow these areas to have music on the thursday but I can't see that getting passed any time soon.

Hell, if they just had a phone playing tracks off spotify on the Other stage on thursday, it'd at least give a place for people to lounge around and reduce congestion across the site

Download have a thursday bill this year, dont know if its just as a one-off (its their 20th anniversary) or itll be for every year from now on - they've not really announced what the craic is, start times, all stages being open etc etc but itll be interesting to see if glastonbury see that and think of upping their thursday offerings. A bit of Other stage radio/spotify type event would be good, though.