2023 In Memoriam Thread

kalifire

He (Bacharach) played a previous or two times before 2015 didn't he as well?

Even though my parents played his records forever when I was young, my forever memory now whenever I hear "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" is getting my first cider at Cider Bus on Thursday/2014 and the song being played at the bus literally as I took my first few sips, rain dripping into my pint and head.... 

If I recall, 2014 was supposed to be a sunny one, but the rains that Thurs/Fri came on as a bit of a surprise. 

On paper, that show in 15 should have been terrible - Medleys aplenty and a cruise ship style crooning from a guy with teeth whiter than Rylan! It was stunning. The presence of the man on stage with a body of work up there with Lennon/McCartney, and Brian Wilson meant it felt like a proper occassion. 

Burt truly one of the greatest song writers of all time so many songs remind me of the albums my parents played as I began my musical journey .

Look through the legacy he left us its staggering 

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

On paper, that show in 15 should have been terrible - Medleys aplenty and a cruise ship style crooning from a guy with teeth whiter than Rylan! It was stunning. The presence of the man on stage with a body of work up there with Lennon/McCartney, and Brian Wilson meant it felt like a proper occassion. 

Yeah the last two are pretty much his only peers in the canon of post war song. One of the all time greats and incumbent (and unlikely to ever be challenged) holder of the Quickest Glastonbury To Make Me Cry trophy.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah the last two are pretty much his only peers in the canon of post war song. One of the all time greats and incumbent (and unlikely to ever be challenged) holder of the Quickest Glastonbury To Make Me Cry trophy.

Apparently 52 UK top 40 hits - I can't imagine anyone else has ever come close? 

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He was due to headline in the 1990s I think but it didn't come off and someone like Travis or Kula Shaker took his place.

He was due to do a Sunday afternoon but broke his ankle so pulled out - not sure which year though or who replaced. Glad he was able to make in the end despite his obvious frailty in 2015

11 hours ago, sedra said:

He was due to do a Sunday afternoon but broke his ankle so pulled out - not sure which year though or who replaced. Glad he was able to make in the end despite his obvious frailty in 2015

Wikipedia says David Gray replaced him on the Sunday afternoon in 2000.

Just imagine seeing Burt and Bowie on the same day!

10 hours ago, DDave said:

RIP Trugoy the Dove from De La Soul. Gutted about this one, absolutely loved them since I was a kid and TFHAR was probably the album I listened to the most. 

https://news.yahoo.com/breaking-trugoy-founding-member-la-214833438.html

With the re-release of their albums etc I was kind of hopeful it might lead to a West Holts headline slot this year. Sadly not to be. 

13 hours ago, DDave said:

RIP Trugoy the Dove from De La Soul. Gutted about this one, absolutely loved them since I was a kid and TFHAR was probably the album I listened to the most. 

https://news.yahoo.com/breaking-trugoy-founding-member-la-214833438.html

This is really sad news. Similar to the poster above, I assumed they’d be at Glasto this year.

Seems cruel this happens that just as the back catalog was about to be available digitally. I thought they were going to find a whole new generation of fans.

Meant to be seeing them at Royal Albert Hall in April, assume this won’t go ahead now.

• 3 weeks later...

Very sad indeed, watching Pulp 3 times at Glastonbury and also during his DJ slots in Stonebridge,  RIP Steve, and much love to Pulp and Steve's family and friends.

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

David Lindley gone to the great guitar shop in the sky. One of the first gigs I ever saw was him and Ry Cooder.

Played regularly with Jackson Browne ( including Glastonbury) and on his albums - great instrumentalist. 

• 5 weeks later...

Very sad to see Ryuichi Sakamoto pass away. Would have loved to have seen him at the farm, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence washing out across the Pyramid field would have been wonderful but will now have to move on to my fantasy wish list.

Edited by Fingerbobs
Added a bit
  • Upvote 1