2023 In Memoriam Thread

kalifire

Gutted about this, one of the most intense, thought provoking people with the most stunning of voices. Nothing compares to you was one of the greatest songs of the early 90s (was it), stunning vocals but and even more incredible video showing pure raw unfiltered emotion, bloody wow. Many an incredible collaboration as well, John Grant, etc etc... but this one is one of my faves from 'back in the day'

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Gutted about this, one of the most intense, thought provoking people with the most stunning of voices. Nothing compares to you was one of the greatest songs of the early 90s (was it), stunning vocals but and even more incredible video showing pure raw unfiltered emotion, bloody wow. Many an incredible collaboration as well, John Grant, etc etc... but this one is one of my faves from 'back in the day'

i remember the wobble and sinead doing this at glastonbury(probably mid 90s), was superb. 🙂 

Terribly sad news about Sinead O'Connor. I always felt she was never given a fair deal by the media / industry, but was far more warmly treated by audiences across the world. I saw her play a set at Bestival in 2013 and witnessed a genuine artist doing the one thing she knew how to do best. I'm glad I saw her.

12 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

An incredible song....... 😞 

I read 'Remberings' last year... quite a difficult read at times especially in relation to her childhood, and the section in relation to Prince raised an eyebrow or two.

This track will always be my favourite Sinead moment... RIP xx

56 minutes ago, sfroml said:

I read 'Remberings' last year... quite a difficult read at times especially in relation to her childhood, and the section in relation to Prince raised an eyebrow or two.

This track will always be my favourite Sinead moment... RIP xx

I honestly felt quite traumatised myself just reading her book. Always loved her and thought her so brave and fearless but sadly equally way too vulnerable to deal with the way she was treated. Always hoped she'd find peace. I guess in a way at least she has now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neil said:

i remember the wobble and sinead doing this at glastonbury(probably mid 90s), was superb. 🙂 

Jah Wobble played in 1992 and 1994, I think Sinéad performed Visions of You at the 1992 performance, There's a recording of that show here:

Can't listen as I'm in work, but hopefully Sinéad is on this towards the end - it is track 5 out of 7. (This is going on as soon as I get home.)

Here's them performing it live in London the same year. An absolute classic, Wobble and Sinéad at their prime. Absolute brilliance.

41 minutes ago, bamber said:

Jah Wobble played in 1992 and 1994, I think Sinéad performed Visions of You at the 1992 performance,

thanks wasn't sure which year it was, just remember hearing visions as i walked up the main drag.

3 hours ago, moogster said:

I never regretted missing a big chunk of Portishead in 2013 when she played, a couple of decades after I obsessed over the live version of Fire on Babylon on a Lilith fair CD...

Crumbs, I forgot she headlined Acoustic that night. What a crazy night that was, Portishead, Arctic Monkeys, Chic and Sinead on at the same time, that is just crazy.... I was at Portishead and is still the greatest set I have seen at the farm so also have no regrets, but would loved to have caught Sinead that year as well if I could. Wasnt go to miss any of Portishead though

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

I still maintain that was the best Friday night Glastonbury has ever delivered.

Definitely up there in terms of clashes! I went with Chic because I already knew I would be seeing Sinead at Rammy festival that year. I was right at the front for it and she was as fabulous as I expected. 

0B0A44BF-C52B-44C2-9207-A3561A586A08P1050829.jpeg