Annual Leave refused!

Chrisp1986

Say you're converting to Islam so you're entitled to that day off just like everyone else is (I'm assuming your team has a number of Muslim staff so they're expecting them to be on leave that week? Unless they've already booked it off and they're basically telling you that you can't have it because too many of the rest of your team are off, in which case you're out of luck)

Or just don't book it off but make it clear you're going to Glasto and travelling back the Sunday night, then have your lift home get ill or your coach not turn up.

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’ve worked the Monday before. I still had a good - sober - Sunday. In fact it was fun seeing my friends get steadily more drunk and I remembered everything that happened. 

That's my normal experience. It is fun being the person who remembers everything but also sometimes frustrating being the only one who remembers anything. 

Edited by philipsteak

I am a pharmacist and as there are a lot of Muslim pharmacists they put a block on it to stop getting into a situation where they can't find locum cover due to many not wanting to work. I have challenged it so hopefully will be OK as it is just the one day at start of week. Can't just ignore it as everything stays on the online system so shows refused leave on there 

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

After the success of Sunday I put in my annual leave request. Wed to Fri is approved but saying I can't have Monday off as it falls during the week of Eid. Challenging it but very worrying.

Personally I’d start looking for a new job. But that’s just me.

Curious about whom you work for that this is so important they cannot allow for time off.

7 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I am a pharmacist and as there are a lot of Muslim pharmacists they put a block on it to stop getting into a situation where they can't find locum cover due to many not wanting to work. I have challenged it so hopefully will be OK as it is just the one day at start of week. Can't just ignore it as everything stays on the online system so shows refused leave on there 

Acute or community pharmacist?

Quit and become a locum, I know multiple hospital trust in the north looking for staff?

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

After the success of Sunday I put in my annual leave request. Wed to Fri is approved but saying I can't have Monday off as it falls during the week of Eid. Challenging it but very worrying.

Are you the local Imam? 

I can see why they'd want you about

As others have pointed out, Eid al-Adha is celebrated on Thursday 29th June next year and therefore shouldn't be impacted by your day off on Monday 26th.

Does your employer apply the same principle around putting a block on other religious holidays (eg Christmas, Easter, Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur etc)? If not, I'd have thought you'd be able to challenge it through your HR team if the refusal was made by local management.

13 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I would also check your contract - it should clearly set out the protocol for booking leave and when you can take it, and I suspect there is nothing in there regarding Eid or religious holidays restricting you from doing this.

If they are still refusing pretty sure that is direct discrimination, no employee should be given priority over another employee on the basis of different or no religious belief, fairly sure this is covered in the the equality act 2010 which protects people with AND without religious beliefs.

6 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I would also check your contract - it should clearly set out the protocol for booking leave and when you can take it, and I suspect there is nothing in there regarding Eid or religious holidays restricting you from doing this.

If they are still refusing pretty sure that is direct discrimination, no employee should be given priority over another employee on the basis of different or no religious belief, fairly sure this is covered in the the equality act 2010 which protects people with AND without religious beliefs.

Am sure plenty muslims work xmas so their colleagues can get more time off and just to be nice. Doesn't need to be a legal issue, it's fair enough surely that you'd give muslims priority to get time off around Eid?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Am sure plenty muslims work xmas so their colleagues can get more time off and just to be nice. Doesn't need to be a legal issue, it's fair enough surely that you'd give muslims priority to get time off around Eid?

There's an intersection between what's fair and what the law says. They'd need to word the refusal carefully to not be subject to a legal challenge.

Not that I'm suggesting you take it that far as it's definitely not worth losing the good will! 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah I mean I'm not actually suggesting waging a legal battle over one day, just that it is a bit unfair to block a single day on religious grounds when it is not even that specific day, and I would be gently suggesting to my employer that maybe there could be some leeway. Maybe OP has very firm atheist views which means he cops out all year round to everyone else!

15 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Yeah I mean I'm not actually suggesting waging a legal battle over one day, just that it is a bit unfair to block a single day on religious grounds when it is not even that specific day, and I would be gently suggesting to my employer that maybe there could be some leeway. Maybe OP has very firm atheist views which means he cops out all year round to everyone else!

I had no idea when Eid is until now tbh. If it is not on that specific day then I think it is a bit mad to block it on those grounds. I'm of the view that if you apply for annual leave months and months in advance then you should defo get it unless. I'm probs lucky to be in a job where they aren't fussy though. 

The date for Eid next year has been known longer than you've known you've had Glastonbury tickets. Just argue if they were that fussed and had plans, they'd have booked it off already. You've got actual plans set in stone and have given months of advance notice. Should be a first come, first served basis.