Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

That pretty much describes me and the average punter but there’s just no need to keep saying things are shit because they aren’t what you’d book given the choice. 

You and @Hugh Jass II have both  responded to the same post where, to my perception, he's specifically cited some pyramid headliners he's enjoyed.

Can't we all have a cup of tea and a biscuit? 

I just think they shouldn't book Guns n Roses because Axl is a plonker, and they're bad live and haven't released anything of note, and they shouldn't book AM because their last albums have been bad and they shouldn't book Elton because I'm dill danding and there's not enough women anyway. And last year Macca's voice was shot and Kendrick's new album was transphobic and he's a rapper (like Jay Z, Stormzy and Kanye - who also was obnoxious and they should have got a rock band anyway) so shouldn't really be at Glastonbury anyway. And Billie Eilish was teeny-pop music so shouldn't be on the Pyramid. And before that the Cure were bad last time at glastonbury and they've not released anything in years and The Killers were bad in 2007 and

Edited by Alex DeLarge
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

You and @Hugh Jass II have both  responded to the same post where, to my perception, he's specifically cited some pyramid headliners he's enjoyed.

Four headliners in 30-40 years is hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

Anyway though... what kind of biscuit?

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Digestives only.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Still wearing a school uniform.

Probably so.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

You may be overestimating the number of hardcore GnR fans at Glastonbury there...

Hopefully I think it just feels like the biggest mismatch between Sub headliner and headliner for some time and as Lizzo is one of the acts I am most looking forward to I would hate it to become a Nick Cave/Mumford & Sons moment 

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Here's another one - Gill Scott Heron - 1986

And another - Happy Mondays - 1990

Edited by Skip997

6 minutes ago, pryce said:

people throwing a tantrum that a band they dont like are headlining because they are in their opinion rubbish live and haven't released anything in 'years' ...would probably be over the moon if Stone Roses headlined

think it stems from it was meant to be Taylor Swift and are taking their anger out on the band that has replaced her..as if they changed her mind for her 

I don't think anyone but the most die hard fans would be over the moon if the Roses played at this point.

Oversaturation and Brown's knobheadedness have taken the allure away from the prospect of them playing.

18 minutes ago, pryce said:

oh look another....at glasto we like and include all music.....oh wait its heavy go stick with Download festival....it has no place here!

Guns n Roses are not a small band!!! its unbelievable people think they are and that they would struggle to sell out academys!

Nobody is saying this

11 minutes ago, pryce said:

people throwing a tantrum that a band they dont like are headlining because they are in their opinion rubbish live and haven't released anything in 'years' ...would probably be over the moon if Stone Roses headlined

think it stems from it was meant to be Taylor Swift and are taking their anger out on the band that has replaced her..as if they changed her mind for her 

This place would be in meltdown if this happened. I'm young so missed their last reunion and would be over the moon but nobody else would be and it would be without a doubt a shit booking

I guess while I have my formula for approaching an ideal headliner trio - far from perfect - that would give us something like Dua Lipa / Arctic Monkeys / Elton John in another year, or Dave / Arctic Monkeys / Guns 'n' Roses.

When I look at it, Arctic Monkeys do feel a bit stale, but that's probably more down to a mix of personal indifference to their live power and question marks over how latter-day material will work for a Glastonbury crowd. (If Radiohead is any proof, you can get away with most things providing you have the bangers in reserve.)

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Fair enough. I’ve said my piece and I’ll have a hob nob!

21 minutes ago, pryce said:

oh look another....at glasto we like and include all music.....oh wait its heavy go stick with Download festival....it has no place here!

Guns n Roses are not a small band!!! its unbelievable people think they are and that they would struggle to sell out academys!

Eh? Not sure that's what I said at all...the fact that I highlighted Metallica headlining Glastonbury hardly suggests I think that metal has no place at the festival. All music and entertainment in all its forms can be found at Glastonbury, that's what makes it so special.

I haven't said that GnR are small either, they play stadiums and headline festivals because they have tons of fans.

Not that I care anyway, the beauty of Glastonbury is that there is loads more going on - I didn't see any of the Pyramid headliners last year and went elsewhere and saw some amazing stuff.

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

When I look at it, Arctic Monkeys do feel a bit stale, but that's probably more down to a mix of personal indifference to their live power and question marks over how latter-day material will work for a Glastonbury crowd

In isolation, GnR and AM would be absolutely fine bookings but booking both only amplifies their weaknesses imo.

They'll still be a draw though and if not, it's because something much better will be on else where.  Seems like a win / win to me

1 minute ago, BambooShanks said:

In isolation, GnR and AM would be absolutely fine bookings but booking both only amplifies their weaknesses imo.

They'll still be a draw though and if not, it's because something much better will be on else where.  Seems like a win / win to me

Absolutely fair enough. I hope firmly that if both are atop the bill, they knock it out of the park, play cracking shows and all the punters there to watch have a lovely time.

23 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I have a slight concern about rumours about Lizzo being the act on before GnR just in terms of will you have fans of GnR who wouldn't care about Lizzo hanging around and spoiling the vibe but I think it'll just be a case of getting in a good spot and hoping for the best. 

I doubt this will be a problem. Most people watching GnR are going to be there out of curiosity, not diehard fans.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We still have two first time headliners though...

Said all along that AM feels the most stale booking of the three to me, despite them being massive.

Yeah I agree, AM are the turd for me as well. BUT I fully accept their status as headliners and wouldn't dispute that.

12 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I guess while I have my formula for approaching an ideal headliner trio - far from perfect - that would give us something like Dua Lipa / Arctic Monkeys / Elton John in another year, or Dave / Arctic Monkeys / Guns 'n' Roses.

When I look at it, Arctic Monkeys do feel a bit stale, but that's probably more down to a mix of personal indifference to their live power and question marks over how latter-day material will work for a Glastonbury crowd. (If Radiohead is any proof, you can get away with most things providing you have the bangers in reserve.)

Radiohead play their big hits properly (and actually play them). AM have strange versions of a few of the big ones and choose not to play a fair amount of the older stuff too (which is probably best known by the glasto crowd given the average age). No issue with AM as a booking but not sure on this comparison

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I doubt this will be a problem. Most people watching GnR are going to be there out of curiosity, not diehard fans.

Given people get their tickets before knowing the lineup bar a few in the resale you could probably say this about every act on a one of the larger stages

19 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Hopefully I think it just feels like the biggest mismatch between Sub headliner and headliner for some time and as Lizzo is one of the acts I am most looking forward to I would hate it to become a Nick Cave/Mumford & Sons moment 

That Nick Cave set was one of their best ever, though, so I don't think it mattered at all. I'm confident Lizzo will bring the right energy and pull a huge crowd.