Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Funny as I hadn't thought about it really prior to the West Holts love in here, but I reckon if you drew a triangle from LeftField, to WH and the Healing Fields I've spent 50%+ of every festival I've ever been to inside it.  Whilst awake that is.

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Funny as I hadn't thought about it really prior to the West Holts love in here, but I reckon if you drew a triangle from LeftField, to WH and the Healing Fields I've spent 50%+ of every festival I've ever been to inside it.  Whilst awake that is.

I've spent a fair amount of time in WH very much not awake.  Prime snoozing real estate.

22 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

With all this West Holts love in..... and ever the contrary knobhead..... what’s folks views of that field before the stage opens, on the Wed and Thu? My own view (prepared to be shot down) is that the knobhead ratio in it is far higher than found elsewhere, largely due to the Brothers Bar crowd. West Holts is a lovely bar, and the crowd split between the two types of patrons is pretty obvious by looking at the rubbish strewn around that field. Around Brothers it’s a bombsite, usually pretty ok around West Holts.

I was gonna bung in a caveat about it only being my go-to place during the festival proper, due to the brothers bar. Its astonishing how pints of their sweet coldness seem to detrimentally affect everyone's ability to use a bin, cos the mess round there is staggering - and on the other side of the very same field its a hundred times better.

Do pears really ensure a lack of eye/hand co-ordination? (in before someone points out that pints of brothers contain basically no pear whatsoever 😄)

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

With all this West Holts love in..... and ever the contrary knobhead..... what’s folks views of that field before the stage opens, on the Wed and Thu? My own view (prepared to be shot down) is that the knobhead ratio in it is far higher than found elsewhere, largely due to the Brothers Bar crowd. West Holts is a lovely bar, and the crowd split between the two types of patrons is pretty obvious by looking at the rubbish strewn around that field. Around Brothers it’s a bombsite, usually pretty ok around West Holts.

Well this was me and some friends late Thursday night as we stopped on our way somewhere else. We mingled and danced with quite a varied demographic. Had a chat with quite a few poeple we'd never met before and we also got a bit of limbo queue going after someone with a flag offered it up. I don't know if that makes us all knob heads but everyone was having a great time in a respectful manner 🤷‍♂️

Edit: For reference my gang were 37 and over.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

37 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Repeat headliners always come with an element of disappointment for me. 

Question: has a headliner ever returned and been better than their original headline slot? 

Coldplay, Blur and Arctic Monkeys I reckon?

35 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

West Holts is great and all, but Glastonbury is the biggest festival in the world and acts like Elton and McCartney have to go somewhere, there is no shame in the fact there are stages for that. It’s not like you can have one without the other.

Yup. Having both is what makes WH special. Not may would pay the ticket price for the WH lineup alone.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

or, perhaps like me, born well before GnR (55) but last listened to commercial radio with John Peel under the bedclothes.

Seems confessional to admit I did likewise! To this day I still remember pre-release music he played by Queen before their first album, The Clash & others…

It's my first Glasto but every time I go through old clashfinders for "fun" WH seems like my standout, so it's good to hear that it's a great stage

That Saturday 2017 run of Khruangbin > Afriquoi > Thundercat > Badbadnotgood > Toots & The Maytals > The Avalanches > Solange > The Jacksons, holy shit that's a day out. 

5 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

It's my first Glasto but every time I go through old clashfinders for "fun" WH seems like my standout, so it's good to hear that it's a great stage

That Saturday 2017 run of Khruangbin > Afriquoi > Thundercat > Badbadnotgood > Toots & The Maytals > The Avalanches > Solange > The Jacksons, holy shit that's a day out. 

Still gutted I missed out on tickets that year. 

5 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Relieved to hear I'm not the only first-timer doing this 😅

I don't even have anything to gain other than further misery that I never got in before - but all the "regulars" I know IRL this year didn't manage it, it's my turn! 

6 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I'm all for WH love in to be honest, It holds a lot of very happy memories for me, so much so I burst into tears when I walked into that field last year having not been since 2017!

Aways always make a point of getting in at least one WH headliner, you're going to love it. It's a large stage but still feels intimate at night, the crowd are also usually pretty dedicated fans for the headliners and so the vibe always feels extremely positive and friendly.

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Aways always make a point of getting in at least one WH headliner, you're going to love it. It's a large stage but still feels intimate at night, the crowd are also usually pretty dedicated fans for the headliners and so the vibe always feels extremely positive and friendly.

I've got it in my head that Rosalia and/or Fred will be up there one/more night(s) so as long as it's not against Reg, I'm golden. Would gladly skip AM/GNR for either. Or Nas given Parklife is only exclusive for the Wu/Nas B2B I think

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Have had a couple of memorable altercations at that bar. Once with a gang of lairy teens and another time with a blatant queue jumper who was old enough to know better. In both instances they knew they were being knobheads. The knobheads.

But saying that I do like a Brothers and have spent many a pleasant early morning there on the way back from other things.

You're right about the litter.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I guess some of that is that it’s a bar that is open and with music and people generally there to have a skinfull that seems to have been the way since I started going … they did however remove the big 2 litre bottles to try and contain it to this area I guess as they got strewn everywhere 

Yeah that extra % ABV helps to bring them in.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Radiohead?

Arctic Monkeys 13 definitely better than 07, which was a pretty low bar.

Preferred '07 myself. A right good raucous singalong

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

I was gonna bung in a caveat about it only being my go-to place during the festival proper, due to the brothers bar. Its astonishing how pints of their sweet coldness seem to detrimentally affect everyone's ability to use a bin, cos the mess round there is staggering - and on the other side of the very same field its a hundred times better.

Do pears really ensure a lack of eye/hand co-ordination? (in before someone points out that pints of brothers contain basically no pear whatsoever 😄)

Well said. It's not far to the bins at the back of the field from the bar. 

Used to buy into the belief that - back when they were at their simultaneous peak of attendance - you could argue for any headliner at the five other major UK festivals (R+L, V Festival, T in the Park, Isle of Wight and Download)  to be potentially big enough to top the Pyramid Stage.

Obviously, not the case anymore - V Festival and T in the Park are gone, Isle of Wight tends to have diminishing returns on bill-topper levels here and there, R+L have split themselves to bump up those who you probably wouldn't consider at all beyond a sub-slot and Download's metal heritage run walks a fine line.

This is something that has popped back into my mind with the announcement Boardmasters have Lorde, Liam Gallagher and Florence and the Machine as bill-toppers.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

There is one that has been knocking about for years but an update was done last year by one or more people on here (sorry, can't remember who) 

Screenshot_20220618-165656_Twitter.thumb.jpg.39e90e6f79c0252c04a0f1ddb74fe352.jpg

Screenshot_20220618-171146_Chrome.thumb.jpg.734c0c42a2c29e5affaa86c4034d7dd7.jpg

Oooh my work laptop secret excel file !

I will update it a bit when we get closer to the fest (I have an extra table ready) and when the map is out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4