Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

36 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You can take it as read that people's opinions are just that.  People don't need to conclude every single post with "imho"

No very true, 'imo' would do... 😉

But in all seriousness, you're right, you could take it as read, but there are people out there who genuinely think their opinions are a matter of fact. Lazy writing makes it very difficult to tell the two apart. 

21 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Who was the guy obsessed with Bad Bunny? I've set you up here buddy 🤣.

Disclaimer: I'd never even heard of Bad Bunny until this thread!

Not sure obsessed is the word, more completely wrong about Bad Bunny's size in the UK.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I think there's a way of doing it that is more palatable though..

1) "xxx is absolute garbage"

2) "I'm not into xxx"

You see the difference. It's subjective, and the first example is presented as objective. That's what pisses people off. It never bothers me anymore to be fair, I just think it makes that person look like a complete idiot. Live and let live. 

Totally agree with this. I think it gets a bit unnecessary at times, especially when labels get attached. Like if you’re into (indie band) you’re a dark fruits moron, or (cool pop act) a stupid kid etc. Sometimes the line gets crossed where it’s not criticising the act that’s happening, it’s mocking the people who like that act and their subjective taste.

There’s not being into a band and then calling them shit, when quite clearly, they are not. Again I’ll take AM as an example, the biggest UK rock band of the last 10/20 years, up there with Coldplay. Sell out stadiums every time they tour and despite moving away from their bread and butter sound are still hitting the heights in the charts.
If you like guitar music and you’re still calling them shit, you either don’t know what you’re talking about, you’re being a snob or you’re trolling. 
Music is subjective but you can respect an act for what they’ve done in their genre.

Edited by Justcalledtosay
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

So looking at what we have rumoured and who is popping up around glastonbury - looks like we have a good idea of at least a handful of bigger names.

Arctic Monkeys, Guns N’ Roses, Elton John, Lizzo, Queens of the Stone Age, The Prodigy, Sam Smith, Fred Again, Rosalia some safe names to predict.

No sign of yet but I think there’s a strong chance of Doja, Lana, Lil Nas X being thrown in if they are around. Reckon they may bring in a special name like BLACKPINK to generate some headlines.

I think what’s missing is a big modern hip hop name… but I guess Doja could be that. Also imagine Aitch, Central Cee, D-Bloc Europe types will appear throughout. Maybe we could get SZA if the Glasto gods are nice to us.

Edited by Matt42

12 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

There’s not being into a band and then calling them shit, when quite clearly, they are not. Again I’ll take AM as an example, the biggest UK rock band of the last 10/20 years, up there with Coldplay. Sell out stadiums every time they tour and despite moving away from their bread and butter sound are still hitting the heights in the charts.
If you like guitar music and you’re still calling them shit, you either don’t know what you’re talking about, you’re being a snob or you’re trolling. 
Music is subjective but you can respect an act for what they’ve done in their genre.

You forgot to add "in my opinion"

Edited by CaledonianGonzo
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Tbh I find it just as weird going the other way and asserting that something is objectively not shit, based on  x characteristic. 

If one of you gits thinks that an act is shit, why do I care? 

On the other hand I care if you personally slate a person, or go into a thread about an act merely to stir up agro. 

14 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Only ever said Ed Sheeran and George Ezra are shit … the rest I just leave them be if they aren’t for me … am I excused ? 

Everything’s relative. If I saw Ed Sheehan performing at the top of an escalator on the London Underground, I’d think he was fantastically talented. Just not on the Pyramid.

George Ezra is shit though. 

1 minute ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Everything’s relative. If I saw Ed Sheehan performing at the top of an escalator on the London Underground, I’d think he was fantastically talented. Just not on the Pyramid.

George Ezra is shit though. 

Yeah that’s fair .. not seen him at the top of an escalator and at least there’s a fast exit route planned 😀the only 2 acts to make me cringe … it’s just weird 

Regarding people declaring acts are shit. That information is only potentially interesting if you know that persons music taste. If someone declared they think the clash is shit, I don't know why anyone else would care but if we knew they love punk and like the sex pistols, Ramones and the dammed but not the clash then that could lead to a conversation. The trouble is we don't know most people's music taste on here so those comments here are usually pointless 

And what's even more pointless is negative comments about an act from a person who doesn't like the genre that act is in. It's not interesting in any way that someone who doesn't like any hip hop declare Kendrick Lamar is shit

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Posting on this forum can be a bit scary at times (for some people) because there are a few quite knowledgeable and/or opinionated people on here, so saying “imho” can be used as a tool to deflect or tone down a comment.

Thats very fair and quite a few lurkers ive bumped into say they are afraid to post 

5 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I agree, though also it just tells you people are different. The trend on here is to label them as shit live, whereas to some going to see a band they like play songs they like and play them well is exactly what they want. Others want dancers and lasers and lots of chat. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Posting on this forum can be a bit scary at times (for some people) because there are a few quite knowledgeable and/or opinionated people on here, so saying “imho” can be used as a tool to deflect or tone down a comment.

I think it’s just polite at times. 

But then I’m 45. I used to say I thought acts were ‘shit’ or similar back in the day but it’s been a long time since I used anything other than e.g. ‘oh I’m not into them’ or ‘not for me’

44 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Honestly, there's no one to fear in this forum. Being true to yourself is all anyone can do. Your taste in music is as relevant as anyone else's. 

I’ve a broad taste in music and even if something doesn’t really resonate with me, I wouldn’t immediately declare it to be shit and can often find something in there to at least see why others might love it.  It’s subjective and I get that. However there are a small number of acts who I can find absolutely no merit in whatsoever and find almost unlistenable.  It genuinely surprises me when people declare love for them and I do question it when they do. It’s not me trying push my opinion, rather trying to understand what I’m missing. 

Yeah, I try to go the Austen Powers route...

image.thumb.png.e6b1f53b4ff6e30f30194a9de2cf1dff.png

I try to take the high ground when someone says something I like is shit (rather than it's simply not for them), but when somebody actually quotes me in a reply and says the artist is no good, especially when you know they've barely actually listened to them (which I admit is an assumption) my hackles can get raised.

20 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’ve a broad taste in music and even if something doesn’t really resonate with me, I wouldn’t immediately declare it to be shit and can often find something in there to at least see why others might love it.  It’s subjective and I get that. However there are a small number of acts who I can find absolutely no merit in whatsoever and find almost unlistenable.  It genuinely surprises me when people declare love for them and I do question it when they do. It’s not me trying push my opinion, rather trying to understand what I’m missing. 

Ah, on this board people don't denounce artists as shit because of their music, they denounce them because of them being men.