2023 Ticket Price Confirmed

Dukeicon

2 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

I'll be trying for tickets this year, but with the cost I'm not as fussed* as I'd usually be if I missed out.

And although I had a great time this year after an enforced 6 year break, the weather was about perfect etc you sometimes forget how busy and hard work it is at times. There's a lot to be said for smaller, cheaper festivals.

* I say that now, I'll be gutted at the end of June if I don't get tickets.

Can honestly say this year, had Macca not played the festival could have come and gone without a thought of it.

The lineups are heavily turning not in my favour and the more of that has teen/very early 20s appeal the more as others have said I'll be avoiding this generations V Festival open style

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Can honestly say this year, had Macca not played the festival could have come and gone without a thought of it.

The lineups are heavily turning not in my favour and the more of that has teen/very early 20s appeal the more as others have said I'll be avoiding this generations V Festival open style

Fair enough but you still come here frequently to talk about it in October so it must still have some draw? 

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The festival is full of acts for older folks and full of non mainstream acts, just take a look at the line up for the Glade, which included the likes of Gong, System 7 and Mad Professor.

Plenty of older dance acts as well e.g. Shy FX, good thing about some of the older dance acts is that attract younger folks as well.

Enjoying all the old veterans moaning about how the music is all aimed at younger people. Erm, yeah, that's generally how music and music festivals work. Remember when you were 20 and you started going to Glasto cos all the music felt like it was targetted at you....

In terms of the price, whilst it does feel like a hike, the reality is that the last ticket price was announced 3 years ago, and we have had rampant inflation since then, so it was always going to show as a big hike. I think the graph is great, although i think that the 2022 data point should be in 2020 as that is when the festival was priced to happen, and doing that would smooth out the increase somewhat. 

It is sad that some people who have gone a lot can no longer afford it, but that is also the world we live in. We can't all afford to everything that we want to, and the current shit show of a government are making it so that everyone is finding everything harder - as CFool said, make your vote count. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Enjoying all the old veterans moaning about how the music is all aimed at younger people. Erm, yeah, that's generally how music and music festivals work. Remember when you were 20 and you started going to Glasto cos all the music felt like it was targetted at you....

As I've pointed out in the post above this, there is always plenty of music for the oldies. By far the biggest example this year was Macca. There's a chance of Elton John next year, an act solely for oldies IMO.

Look around the stages there's plenty of non mainstream, non commercial music. For example how many under the age of 50 have even heard of Gong?

Could the fairly steep rise in ticket price perhaps be part of an effort to subsidise food stalls etc? Perhaps to try and keep their pitch fees down so that they're not having to pass on the higher costs to the customer while there?

The food is already a pretty penny (nothing new for any festival) but the time of being charged £12 for sausage and mash won't be far off with costs going the way they are.

Granted, the food options at Glastonbury are substantially better than most festivals. 

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There's a chance of Elton John next year, an act solely for oldies IMO.

The same Elton John that's had a couple of number ones and worked with Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Years & Years and Britney lately? 😂

25 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The festival is full of acts for older folks and full of non mainstream acts, just take a look at the line up for the Glade, which included the likes of Gong, System 7 and Mad Professor.

Plenty of older dance acts as well e.g. Shy FX, good thing about some of the older dance acts is that attract younger folks as well.

Indeed, I'm old and there was plenty for me. 

As you say, plenty of old gits... 

https://clashfinder.com/m/g2022/

6 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I would sooner have them cut costs than pass the book onto the punter.

The fees for the acts that are flavour of the month on radio1 must be higher than that paid for the kinds of acts who are coming through, playing medium sized venues. Just tilt the balance back in favour of the latter.

Then you could easily make cuts to the budgets for the late night things without sacrificing much on the experience side. When you’re gurning your tits off, how much do you honestly care about the production. Maybe it helps add to the vibe a little bit, but its mainly the drugs.

I dont drink or do drugs, so I care. Sound quality is average overall at the festival anyway. If they cut corners on that its not good. Making the screens at the Pyramid and adding repeaters at Other and West Holts this hear was a step in the right direction. Sooner or later the price has to go up. I think everyone's been so comfortable with it being "affordable" that now the reality is hitting that theyre not immune to price hikes, its causing a stir. I would gladly pay the £340 cause its $340 usd instead of $400+. Its still hitting £400 in 5 years and then we'll get to a big crossroads at that point.

Edited by Suprefan

I’m fortunate to have a career with a consistently climbing salary as I’ve got older meaning the festival is affordable for me

I feel for the younger generation who have only just started work, when I was in my early 20s I probably wouldn’t have had a spare 1k or so to go to this anymore

I also feel for those who are working in careers that don’t necessarily come with a climbing wage to combat inflation as the years go by. Unfortunately this does price some people out who deserve to go

1 hour ago, stuie said:

The same Elton John that's had a couple of number ones and worked with Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Years & Years and Britney lately? 😂

He's timeless rather than this has made young people like him. If you liked him before, you'd go - if you didn't you would see whoever is on the other stage / other main stages or head to SE corner early. The Dua Lipa song is huge right now but its basically just a dua lipa song with an old man singing in it as well - could be anyone for all i and a lot of other would care. A few chart songs are hardly going to pull you away from someone you actually like i guess is my point.

1 hour ago, SouthbanKen said:

In terms of the price, whilst it does feel like a hike, the reality is that the last ticket price was announced 3 years ago, and we have had rampant inflation since then, so it was always going to show as a big hike. I think the graph is great, although i think that the 2022 data point should be in 2020 as that is when the festival was priced to happen, and doing that would smooth out the increase somewhat. 

It is sad that some people who have gone a lot can no longer afford it, but that is also the world we live in. We can't all afford to everything that we want to, and the current shit show of a government are making it so that everyone is finding everything harder - as CFool said, make your vote count. 

Agree with all that.

We all turn into our parents I suppose. I’m 45 and see me and all my mates have split into two groups. One group has tried to keep up with music and keeps finding loads of good stuff. The other hasn’t and is just moaning about how ‘music is rubbish now.’

The price hike is big but probably where I expected it. I reckoned 320-349. Inflation isn’t an imaginary thing and it affects everything. The insane fuel prices at the minute aren’t imaginary and they greatly affect anything that relies a lot on vehicles and massive amounts of electricity.

It is a real shame that people will be priced out of it. Ultimately though it is a leisure thing. It isn’t food or drink or heating or clothes. The worst Government ever have made a disaster of almost everything over the last 12 years. But kids struggling for food and Councils setting up warm banks is their legacy. Glastonbury isn’t that important.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gutted to admit it but my Glastonbury days are probably over, I just can’t justify the cost. It’s about a 350% rise since my first one, wish I could say the same about me wages.. 

Not gonna lie, does leave a bit of a sour taste. I’ve had some of the best times of my life at Glastonbury. I liked the inclusivity of the place, it was somewhere I’ve felt more at ease than I ever have in the real world, somewhere I felt like I could belong without feeling like an outcast. I’ve felt a connection. People talk about the “Glastonbury spirit” but it’s not something I’ve ever been able to put into words. I’m not even a spiritual person or anything but as I sure so many people would agree, there’s something about the place. 

I’ve read enough comments - not so much here, but plenty elsewhere about how it wasn’t the same when the super fence went up. I don’t know, my first one was the super fence’s first one so it’s all I’ve known but in the 7 festivals in 14 years I managed, I’ve seen it expand, seen Lost Vagueness go and the Park, Shangri-La and Woodsies pop up out of nowhere. I’ve always enjoyed reading about other people’s experiences at Glastonbury but at the same time I’ve wondered if there was a bit of gatekeeping at play.

I mean I hate gatekeeping, it’s bollocks. Yes, the demographic has changed over the years, but so what, nobody has any more or less right to be there than anyone else. People are going to go for different reasons and look to get different things out of it. Or even get things out of it they weren’t necessarily looking for, whatever. I don’t know. My last one was 2016 and I really didn’t want that to be my last one… involved in a hit and run a week and half before so could hardly walk in the swamp, waking up on the Friday morning to find out we’d shafted ourselves again.. wife’s first and only Glastonbury, not had anything like the magical experiences I’ve had over the years. 

I say I hate gatekeeping but this kinda feels like the opposite to me. Yeah it’s always been a bit middle class and yes, I do have a bit of a working class chip on my shoulder. I’ll treasure my memories but I don’t think it’s somewhere I can belong anymore.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It is a real shame that people will be priced out of it. Ultimately though it is a leisure thing. It isn’t food or drink or heating or clothes. The worst Government ever have made a disaster of almost everything over the last 12 years. But kids struggling for food and Councils setting up warm banks is their legacy. Glastonbury isn’t that important.

Very true, however when it comes to the last sentence... 

tenor (5).gif

2 ways of looking at this IMO.

1) Front standing tickets for any decent sized headline act these days = £125 - £150 easily, sometimes closer to £200.  Factor in that you have a 5 day camping holiday and the other various forms of entertainment there and it's a bargain.

2) It you factor in compound inflation from the last ticket day to the cost of ticket bought in 2019 for 2020 then you are already well over £300 (think I got it to £316-ish).  So £335 isn't a huge step in real terms.

If you look at the hike in gig tickets across the board since 2019 I think you'll find they are a lot steeper than this.

The price rise is fine if you’d go and see those arena sized acts at £100+ pop a throw on their own turf/doing their own show. I tend not to, just wouldn’t bother, they don’t really interest me, generally. Eminem/G&R/Fleetwood Mac can absolutely do one, wouldn’t be near any of them.  And I’ve got to be honest, while I had fun this year, musically, very little floated my boat. Only things really grabbed me were PSB, Olivia Rodrigo and Kacey Musgraves. If I’m paying best part of a grand all in for the 5 days, I’d need more than that. 

Reckon I’m going to go for a ticket next month, and then if I’m lucky enough to get one, re-assess once the lineup gets turned up. Lizzo and Taylor Swift could swing it for me. without those, probably harder and harder to justify. Love the place, but all that money to sit in a field while some music plays in the background feels a bit steep. 

As it goes, based on recent years experience, I feel like I’d pay Glastonbury level money for EOTR and EOTR level money for Glastonbury. 

7 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

I’ve read enough comments - not so much here, but plenty elsewhere about how it wasn’t the same when the super fence went up. I don’t know, my first one was the super fence’s first one so it’s all I’ve known but in the 7 festivals in 14 years I managed, I’ve seen it expand, seen Lost Vagueness go and the Park, Shangri-La and Woodsies pop up out of nowhere. I’ve always enjoyed reading about other people’s experiences at Glastonbury but at the same time I’ve wondered if there was a bit of gatekeeping at play.

The year before the fence appeared was a great one, but also awful as the crowds in some areas were much more dangerous in my experience than anything this year (that's covered in the 50th anniversary doc).

That was also true for safety levels as a whole - there were less coppers, so more folks breaking the law openly and occasionally security responding heavy handedly (I vividly recall seeing a bunch of them getting out of a land rover with pickaxe handles). This was reflected in occasional serious incidents, which are a rarity these days, even with increased coverage. 

The other big change of course was the year the travellers were no longer given space, but that was also due to well-documented reasons. 

In both cases - if the changes didn't happen Mendip would have likely prevented it from continuing. 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I'm very selective when it comes to the dance stuff although Carl Cox does cover on the Glade.