ticketmaster dynamic pricing uk

brettredmayne

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Does anyone know how it works for gigs like what companies get what amount of tickets

So like to Ticketmaster get X amount, See tickets get Y amount and Gigs and Tours get Z amount or does it not matter what site you use, is it the same tickets you're buying?

It's distinct allocations, and generally speaking at whatever ratio is decided by the promoter.

It requires persistent lobbying, but it can be legislated against. The Sale of Tickets (Cultural, Entertainment, Recreational and Sporting Events) Act 2021 was signed into law in Ireland last August. it prevents the sale (or advertising for sale) of tickets for any event above the original selling price (it's put the kibosh on reselling websites). TM in Ireland has no dynamic pricing as a result (even for tours that have it in other jurisdictions) and any tickets up for resale on TM in Ireland are at or below face value. It won't stop the touts outside the venues, but they were always operating illegally and play the same cat and mouse game with the Gardaí at every event, but it has completely stopped the practice of people buying tons of tickets and putting them up for sale at a massive premium immediately. There are exemptions for non-profit organisations and also for things like packages for the Champions League etc, but they need to be applied for via the minister and approved in advance and have limits on the % of tickets that can be offered in this manner, but it does stop regular tickets from being snaffled up by resellers and then sold for huge profits and also blocks dynamic pricing unless the new price is below the original selling price. It also made the practice of making tickets non-transferrable illegal, so long as the price for the transfer was at or below the original price. Was a long time coming and those that championed it spent many frustrated years trying to get it into law. Doesn't stop TM charging crazy fees either, but it's a start!

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, incident said:

It's distinct allocations, and generally speaking at whatever ratio is decided by the promoter.

Guessing Ticketmaster get the lion's share. Still think that See or whatever might be better to use despite smaller allocation as way less people will use it. Been ages since I have had to be on the ball to get tickets but thinking ahead for upcoming stadiums.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Guessing Ticketmaster get the lion's share. Still think that See or whatever might be better to use despite smaller allocation as way less people will use it. Been ages since I have had to be on the ball to get tickets but thinking ahead for upcoming stadiums.

Coldplay Tour … had mates get through on gigs and tours and See for me … eventually I got through on TM but at that stage they had gone to dynamic pricing and the standing tickets were 3x the original price 

Looking at the Harry Styles Cardiff gigs TM have got normal and dynamically priced tickets available 

£105 normal 

£236 dynamic 

for the same standing tickets!

Thats a hefty chunk of extra profit. I wonder what the split is between artist/promoter/TM is?

2 minutes ago, tarw said:

Looking at the Harry Styles Cardiff gigs TM have got normal and dynamically priced tickets available 

£105 normal 

£236 dynamic 

for the same standing tickets!

Thats a hefty chunk of extra profit. I wonder what the split is between artist/promoter/TM is?

TM only earn the booking fee, which is a lot higher than the "face value" ticket booking fee (if you put a dynamic priced ticket in your cart you'll see how much). The Premium tickets are sold and profits go to the artist. 

An artist can set restrictions on how high the dynamic can rise to, and percentage of tickets that can go that way. 

Ticket Factory and TM both did it for the Springsteen stadium gigs. I anticipate See will follow suit as otherwise promoters won't give them as much work.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

And see and gigs and tours do standing tickets, not just shite seats?

I got standing tickets for Harry Styles on See this morning, so I assume they just get a smaller allocation. As you said earlier, I definitely prefer using it for things like that as without wanting to stereotype too much, I'd guess a fair chunk of people trying for tickets don't regularly attend lots of gigs and are more likely to go for Ticketmaster and even if they do try See, they're maybe less likely to hammer F5 when the page says it will automatically refresh anyway.

These sort of things are just going to rule me out of ‘big gigs’, and/or make me a lot more selective about the gigs I go to. The end effect of this won’t be me paying more money for gigs, it’ll be me paying the same money for less gigs or the same money for more ‘smaller gigs’, if you follow my drift.

Was just reading about this in the other thread. Sounds like capitalism on steroids with supply and demand taken to its ultimate extreme. The only way it'll change will be via legislation as Toilet Duck suggested but then there are other examples of similar capitalist tactics which would presumably have to be stopped too (e.g. Uber surges etc.), which I would be all for but hard to draw the line.

1 hour ago, brettredmayne said:

Been talked about on the headliner thread but thought it deserved it’s on thread

ticketmaster increasing the value of tickets if there judge the event to be popular,  heard some disgusting things with ticket sales but this is next level judging the world we currently live in.

Welcome to America since 2011. Enjoy the scenery.

no legislation or anything is gonna change it. The only way it goes away is if we stop buying cold turkey and they see we wont take those prices.

Edited by Suprefan

10 minutes ago, CauliflowerEar said:

I dont see the problem with it, they are a business out to make money after all.

You have to as thick as a pig in shit to pay £236 to watch Harry Styles, so its hard to feel sorry for these types of people getting ripped off. 

This practice is no more annoying than thousands and thousands of wet lunches setting up 10 devices and spreadsheets to buy up Glastonbury tickets because it is on their 'bucket list'. 

It’s the parents who will have to pay £236 for their kids to go to this type of show as all their friends are going too

i really feel for the younger generation who want to get into live music and are getting priced out

21 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

It’s the parents who will have to pay £236 for their kids to go to this type of show as all their friends are going too

i really feel for the younger generation who want to get into live music and are getting priced out

I’m 19, I’ve been quite lucky in that my dad took me to Reading and gigs since I was 12 so I’ve seen a lot. Last year was my first year at uni in Liverpool and having saved up from working during COVID I managed 16 gigs last year with only Dave and Sam Fender (only 2 in the arena) costing anything over £30.

However, it’s becoming a worrying problem, I managed to get 4 Coldplay Cardiff tickets at £64 each in an ok seat, but can literally see myself not going to any gigs anymore because it’s becoming unaffordable.

now don’t get me wrong I’ve been insanely lucky, it’s just with all the uproar there was amongst all these big names during covid about saving the music scene etc, to them charging extortionate prices (or not stopping extortionate prices) to then see them it doesn’t make sense.

obviously I’ll still attend gigs, it’s just unfortunate that many of the “bucket list” acts will just be too pricey unless I cut out the fun smaller gigs 

Edited by Gerard the Fab

57 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

These sort of things are just going to rule me out of ‘big gigs’, and/or make me a lot more selective about the gigs I go to. The end effect of this won’t be me paying more money for gigs, it’ll be me paying the same money for less gigs or the same money for more ‘smaller gigs’, if you follow my drift.

This is the way to go, there are thousands of smaller gigs at low prices available, the quality of smaller acts is now far better than in the past, the music business is at saturation point, anyone regularly paying arena prices is stupid, I could maybe justify £80+ for a favourite artist I have followed for years or for a legend I have never seen, but there is no way I'm paying those prices for a regular gig.