Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Can’t believe how cheap we got the early bird 3 day pass for. I’d have paid what we’ve paid just to see AM. The Friday is stacked with Blossoms, Jessie Ware and Bonobo aswell. 

Yeah i paid £80 (80 euro was about £70 in november) for monkey at the o2 in 2018.

I was happy with them chems (my favourite act) and kraftwerk - fully expected them to be the 3 headliners just for Disclosure and Nick Cave to be added!

I Ain't Quite Where I think I Am is more to my tastes tbh.

But for me and many others, none of this style will come close to that of their first 4 albums + Beneath the Boardwalk. The raw power of those songs can't be replaced by this overly polished commercial sound that they have used for the past 2 albums, and seem to be using for this one.

I don't mind the new tracks, especially IAQWITIA (which has already really grown on me) and will happily listen and bop my head to them - but that doesn't mean they will ever come close to my favourites.

The new song is alright, good even, but plays a little too close to the last album for me personally to get too excited about it. I grew to like the last album so I’m not totally against them sticking with this kind of sound… but I was also hoping for a new sonic direction from them whereas from what I’ve heard so far of the new stuff (granted, only one song and one live video) it sounds like this could just end up being the Amnesiac to TBH&C’s Kid A, which would’ve been fine if they’d have come out in quick succession, but feels a bit deflating after a four year wait. 

I do wonder if the rest of the band are all in on them being this kind of slow, lounge rock act these days or if it’s very much just what Turner says goes.

The strings and his falsetto are very nice…

New song is really good. Good to see the evolution of the band and hearing Alex make songs that he wants to make at this point in his career.

Always going to get the moaners who are in denial about the direction the band have taken and are expecting that pre 2013 sound.

I watched the Reading set on iPlayer yesterday.

The band definitely look a bit disinterested, but I’m starting to think that maybe this is all part of the act, rather than a genuine hatred/contempt for playing live. 

Either way, the stand out thing for me was the crowd. They were signing their heart out throughout, 10s of thousands of (mostly) kids having the time of their life. So whatever you think about AM live, they’re getting the sort of reaction you’d want, lots of happy fans. 

You aren't selling out stadiums based on that new song or TBH&C.

The sound in venues of those sizes just doesn't suit.

If the rest of the new album is of a similar sound to that it's a thumbs down from me.

Of course those who enjoy this dreary sound will point towards sold out stadiums as a vindication of both the last album and new one when in reality it's nostalgia of the band when they were actually good selling tickets!

Really love the new single, what a vocal performance from Alex.. agree that it's likely a scene setter for the album, really excited by it.

There seems to be a strange irony with some of the usual posters about this band.. the kind of ones that champion a lot of the newer and more pop-based acts to headline Glastonbury (and constantly roll out stats about streams and sales as the best indicator for a good live band, rather than ever talking about the music). And the kind of posters that are generally against the older bands (and normally more guitar-based). Why are you slamming setlists that don't include a tonne of the early stuff if you are also against bands that don't evolve and just rely on their heritage? It's bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Absolutely love the new song, certainly a similar vibe to TBHC but a lot more grounded and emotional - makes TBHC seem even more alien/futuristic. Hard to not get a bit emotional watching the music video. There was a post on reddit theorising that this song is speaking to the fans expecting the usual bangers (bangers being the mirrorball) and that they've moved on from that as a band and this is their new sound which is likely not the actual meaning but the point remains. Also, I don't get why there is still the notion that Alex is dictating this direction to the group - I think they have all just matured in their lives and sound which is a more likely explanation than that of Alex the Megalomaniac. 

This 16 year old passage from Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys seems particularly relevant today:

"But we'll stick to the guns // Don't care if it's marketing suicide // Won't crack or compromise // Your derisory divides // Will never unhinge us" 

Edited by castlecaryquery
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Absolutely love the new song, certainly a similar vibe to TBHC but a lot more grounded and emotional - makes TBHC seem even more alien/futuristic. Hard to not get a bit emotional watching the music video. There was a post on reddit theorising that this song is speaking to the fans expecting the usual bangers (bangers being the mirrorball) and that they've moved on from that as a band and this is their new sound which is likely not the actual meaning but the point remains. Also, I don't get why there is still the notion that Alex is dictating this direction to the group - I think they have all just matured in their lives and sound which is more likely explanation that Alex the Megalomaniac. 

This 16 year old passage from Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys seems particularly relevant today:

"But we'll stick to the guns // Don't care if it's marketing suicide // Won't crack or compromise // Your derisory divides // Will never unhinge us" 

Indeed.

I seem to remember reading that Alex had played the band tracks from TBHAC and it was another member (potentially Jamie) who was adamant it should be a AM record, rather than an Alex solo project.

10 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Indeed.

I seem to remember reading that Alex had played the band tracks from TBHAC and it was another member (potentially Jamie) who was adamant it should be a AM record, rather than an Alex solo project.

Indeed I think that is the case. He also is credited for pushing for the stylistic change in Humbug, and I believe is the one who introduced the lads to The Strokes / indie music at the beginning and stopped them from becoming a hip-hop outfit.

Maybe Jamie Cook is really the puppet master and Turner his useful idiot..

Edited by castlecaryquery

14 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

What do you mean here - gigs they're doing elsewhere before the UK tour?

Yeah. I'm guessing, that isn't based on anything I know.

I'd be amazed if they aren't touring Feb - April. I'd imagine the U.S and/or Europe, with those impending UK stadium shows in May/June.