Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Watching their set on the beeb I could definitely tell Alex’s voice/throat hadn’t fully recovered which might’ve lead to a bit of unease, but I also think that even the biggest acts can be thrown off by the enormity of Glastonbury, especially when it comes to British acts. Probably doesn’t help that there are always such ridiculous expectations surrounding Glastonbury headline sets - all the talk of old songs being brought back and them having an orchestra etc - when they clearly were just happy to trot out their standard set and it just fell a bit flat. 

I'd have been up for an orchestra tbf, though I think that might be more better in a concert hall setting like the Albert Hall or Hammersmith Apollo than Glastonbury Pyramid. That and obviously AM kinda already did it with a few songs with strings in the 2013 show, even if obviously songs on The Car are more prominently using them (and indeed there's a version of 505 with strings that sounds less terrible than the version they are doing).

Plus yeah, I'm not sure Alex was 100% better after the scare that nearly saw them pull out of Glastonbury. Although saying that it was better than I expected. Plus I was amused by his capers during Pretty Visitors.

Just seen them at Bilbao BBK and imo they were the best you are going to get at this stage in the monkeys' trajectory.

Similar setlist for the most... View in place of teddy picker was great.

It felt like, comparatively to what I saw on the Glastonbury broadcast, that the classics had been sped up, not completely but a fair bit more. Perhaps they've taken things on board. From a fellow drummers point of view, I sometimes felt like Matt would come in from a chorus fast and then adjust himself slower again. Wonder where/who this has come from. 

Alex's voice was bang on throughout. You can see the whole persona and show that they're going for. Maybe translated to the pyramid it just didn't hit.