LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Elton John was too big last year.

On my way to Rudimental, I stopped off at Mica Paris at Avalon. A fine act and one I was tempted to watch and listen to. There were maybe 10 people there.  For this. That is wrong.

Edited by bamber

My prediction / theory:

GFL won't be nearly on the nose enough to drop the lineup on IWD itself, regardless of who's on the lineup, so really can't see it being Friday next week. I'm also inclined to think that the possibility of a pattern developing (and therefore, expectations for next year) would probably steer them away from it. Really can't see that happening.

Instead, with Emily doing the Women in Music thing at Oxford University on Thursday next week, she inevitably drops three or four names in the process to illustrate how the festival is championing female acts. These names then get confirmed on the Festival web site/social media later that day.

If the headliners are locked in, I reckon a poster arrives early to middle of the week after. Somewhere around the 12th. Or if they don't have all 3 headliners ready to announce, then they hold off until they do - at least until the end of the month when due to the balance window they may feel the need to release a poster anyway even if it does have a TBA on it.

56 minutes ago, incident said:

My prediction / theory:

GFL won't be nearly on the nose enough to drop the lineup on IWD itself, regardless of who's on the lineup, so really can't see it being Friday next week. I'm also inclined to think that the possibility of a pattern developing (and therefore, expectations for next year) would probably steer them away from it. Really can't see that happening.

Instead, with Emily doing the Women in Music thing at Oxford University on Thursday next week, she inevitably drops three or four names in the process to illustrate how the festival is championing female acts. These names then get confirmed on the Festival web site/social media later that day.

If the headliners are locked in, I reckon a poster arrives early to middle of the week after. Somewhere around the 12th. Or if they don't have all 3 headliners ready to announce, then they hold off until they do - at least until the end of the month when due to the balance window they may feel the need to release a poster anyway even if it does have a TBA on it.

Yeah I think this makes sense. Any announcement before that Emily appearance in Oxford risks derailing that talk as the only questions would be about the lineup. So reckon it will be the following week that we actually get a proper announcement at the earliest.

30 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Yeah I think this makes sense. Any announcement before that Emily appearance in Oxford risks derailing that talk as the only questions would be about the lineup. So reckon it will be the following week that we actually get a proper announcement at the earliest.

This makes an annoying amount of sense. 

31 minutes ago, mouserat said:

It’s a talk though, not a Q&A. I doubt anyone at an event like that would be asking whether Stevie was ever really on board, either.

I reckon the poster could still drop any day, including today. 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s a talk though, not a Q&A. I doubt anyone at an event like that would be asking whether Stevie was ever really on board, either.

From the event description online:

The day includes 3 unique events that give you exclusive access to world leading industry figures including record label executives, artists and writers. They will share their experiences, offer advice, answer questions, tell us what it’s really like and all of this will be peppered with some very special performances.

Just now, mouserat said:

From the event description online:

The day includes 3 unique events that give you exclusive access to world leading industry figures including record label executives, artists and writers. They will share their experiences, offer advice, answer questions, tell us what it’s really like and all of this will be peppered with some very special performances.

Fair enough. I’m not sure that’s enough to dictate when a poster drop happens though. 

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It's not a talk, it's a panel discussion with the opportunity to ask questions as part of it.

No, I doubt that specific question would come up. But I also doubt that the festival will want to step on the appearance in any way - so probably nothing major comes out in the immediate run up.

Edited by incident

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Fair enough. I’m not sure that’s enough to dictate when a poster drop happens though. 

Maybe not - I think you can probably make the argument both ways. No poster drop beforehand means all the questions are about who will be playing; poster drop beforehand means all the questions are about who has been announced.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

My prediction / theory:

I think we are reading a bit too much into this panel, I think it's likely she won't really get questions about the lineup cause most people aren't as obsessed with the festival as we are!

I think if anything, you'd think the lineup would come out before this panel so she can mention it freely. Though I doubt a lot of the Q&A will be about this year's lineup, and more about Glastonbury's history and it's commitment to gender diversity etc.

1 hour ago, mouserat said:

Maybe not - I think you can probably make the argument both ways. No poster drop beforehand means all the questions are about who will be playing; poster drop beforehand means all the questions are about who has been announced.

Absolutely, people could easily ask when the lineup is coming too.

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

You think they are struggling to book headliners because GnR played? 🤣🤣

i reckon it doesn't help - gnr was a downgrade on the mega-headliners glastonbury has become known for, and its looking like they're struggling for mega headliners this year, 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

i reckon it doesn't help - gnr was a downgrade on the mega-headliners glastonbury has become known for, and its looking like they're struggling for mega headliners this year, 

Anyone selling out stadiums consistently for as long as they have is probably a mega headliner.  Not Elton's last show kind of mega but mega nonetheless

Norm at the park was still better though

7 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Norm at the park was still better though

that was where i planned being but the batteries went flat on my powered wheels so i couldn't get there.

Reckon we’ll get anything at the BRITs? Doesn’t Emily usually attend, and didn’t she give an interview there a few years back? Can’t remember if she gave any names during it or not.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Was it aye?

IMG_9571.jpeg

• Like 1