The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I get the impression it’s going to be worse, and much quicker, than predicted. 

Yea it's going to be rapid, feedback mechanism after feedback mechanism.

Meanwhile most still bury their heads ostrich style.

14 hours ago, sime said:

I mean, I wasn't rubbing my eyes...

Wish I hadn't been affected by dust. Lucky you.

How was 2023 a washout?

I love the warmer Glastonbury's but had a few other issues this year unfortunately. 

It absolutely f**ked it down the second I walked into our camping field on the Wed around 11/12 and then I felt 3 spots of rain on my left arm during Fatboy Slim at Greenpeace on Sunday. Disgusting weather. 

2010 all over again !!! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Franky said:

It absolutely f**ked it down the second I walked into our camping field on the Wed around 11/12 and then I felt 3 spots of rain on my left arm during Fatboy Slim at Greenpeace on Sunday. Disgusting weather. 

2010 all over again !!! 

That Wednesday rain shower lasting about 20 minutes started while I was on the shuttle bus and finished just as we drove into the coach car park. Lucky me. I really welcomed those few tiny little bits of rain on the Sunday. It was perfect weather in many ways over the whole festival. I just need to make sure that next year I'll be armed with eye drops, better hayfever medicine and stronger sunglasses. That should help me with the dust, pollen and sun. 

11 hours ago, Franky said:

Dry heat. You will be fine. The reason so many die or get very ill in Europe is due to the humidity. 

K, go to death valley and let us know what happens in that "dry heat". Yet in arizona right now the local emergency services are being stretched thin due to this "dry heat" Cause some people cant take care of themselves and   Need help

https://apnews.com/article/death-valley-heat-wave-california-hottest-record-c1b2d83dc384e46f133d460893787c52

On 7/14/2023 at 6:54 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

As the poster child for it being "too hot".. I thought the weather this year was too hot, but it was much more manageable than 2010 & 2019. By a long way.

Wednesday this year was alright til the afternoon. The queue wasnt brutal like it was in 2022 (and 2017 for that matter).

There was a breeze this year which helped me massively.

Plus Friday wasnt that sunny, which was good. There was restbite.

I was Sunburnt like f**k on the Wednesday. By Thursday I was being asked if "I was alright", but I was ok really. Better than usual. I coped with the heat much better than some of my mates did.

Saturday was pretty brutal, but after Rick Astley I got myself out of the sun until the Manics.

A few tips I discovered... Avoid spending a long time the Pyramid & the Park stages. The sun is in your face there all through. It is difficult. The sun is behind you at the Other stage, and behind your right at the WH. The Glade is probably the best place to be. It Saved me on the Saturday. I might have had issues if I didnt just stay and watch half of Youth b2b Gaudi, then African Head Charge & Dreadzone... but Id got a cooler spot & I stayed there. On my own for an hour or so before a mate joined me.

Of the "hot" festivals Ive been to, 2010, 2019 & 2023.. that one was easiest & my favourite of the 3.

I did similiar on the Saturday, Watched some of Last dinner party and then rick astley , I'd planned to then go back to the woodsies but started to struggle with the heat so made my way to the spike bar and sat in a really nice cool place on a bench next to the water station. I watched Youth b2b Gaudi aswell from the shady bench and thought they sounded great. After a few hours of shade I was ok to carry on my day and watched Generation Sex,Lottery Winners, Manics and Guns N Roses 👍

On 7/15/2023 at 11:08 PM, Franky said:

I mean, stop rubbing dust in your eyes 🤷‍♂️ I don’t know where this comes from? I didn’t notice any dust. 

2023 was a washout anyway! 

2010 All over again 👍🔥

Dust was horrendous at times, especially Friday and Saturday... I don't think it was as dusty as 2022 though, when they inadvertently added an extra source of dust by covering the run between San Remo and the Pyramid with ridiculously dusty white stones. 

Suppose you also didn't notice the electronic signs giving people tips on how to deal with the dust, or the trucks going out trying to spray the paths with water to keep the dust down? 🤷‍♂️ 

Suppose the medics were making it up too... https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/festival-medics-see-rise-breathing-8550329

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There bit for the grace of God etc

Same happened over here last weekend

Forever Young founder defends closure of festival to ticket-holders on Saturday due to flooding

The Forever Young festival stated that ticket holders who were not already in the festival by noon on Saturday wouldn’t be admitted for safety reasons.

https://www.thejournal.ie/foerver-young-festival-rain-flooding-6121040-Jul2023/

3 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Was at Latitude this weekend and it rained Sat > Sun early hours for almost 12 hours straight. Barely any mud round the main stage and markets and we were sat on the grass come Sunday pm. The sandy ground drains astonishingly well - I genuinely couldn't believe it. 

We had the same at Leopallozza and it was a mud bath, even though I reckon there were only about 5000 there.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:43 AM, sime said:

That Wednesday rain shower lasting about 20 minutes started while I was on the shuttle bus and finished just as we drove into the coach car park. Lucky me. I really welcomed those few tiny little bits of rain on the Sunday. It was perfect weather in many ways over the whole festival. I just need to make sure that next year I'll be armed with eye drops, better hayfever medicine and stronger sunglasses. That should help me with the dust, pollen and sun. 

That Wednesday shower started about 5 mins after I got through PGA and stopped just as I got to my tent (that my mates had put up for me) near The Park. 

Fuming! 😄 

20 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

That Wednesday shower started about 5 mins after I got through PGA and stopped just as I got to my tent (that my mates had put up for me) near The Park. 

Fuming! 😄 

I did feel jammy that I was on the shuttle bus at the time. Even though it didn't last too long it was quite the downpour wasn't it.