The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

For me, Saturday was definitely a bit too hot. It must have been about 40 degrees in BBC Introducing when Vlure where on. My own tent became pretty unbearable as soon as sun had risen over the Pylon tree line (yes, I know, I need an F&B). 

Overall though, it was managable... Just. I didnt miss any acts due to the heat. Not being massively hungover helped, and drinking lots of water (and G&T) to keep hydrated. Also probably went to bed a bit earlier than previous years to get some sleep before it got baking. 

Really regret not packing lipbalm with an SPF though 😕

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

For me, Saturday was definitely a bit too hot. It must have been about 40 degrees in BBC Introducing when Vlure where on. My own tent became pretty unbearable as soon as sun had risen over the Pylon tree line (yes, I know, I need an F&B). 

Overall though, it was managable... Just. I didnt miss any acts due to the heat. Not being massively hungover helped, and drinking lots of water (and G&T) to keep hydrated. Also probably went to bed a bit earlier than previous years to get some sleep before it got baking. 

Really regret not packing lipbalm with an SPF though 😕

I could literally have written this myself. Even the lip balm too - ouchy. 
Not complaining though - would take that same weather again in a heart beat , probably would just plan to stay in one place on the Saturday though rather than try and move around which was daft 

1 hour ago, Sasperella2 said:

My friend also squinted his way through Elton with an eye problem

Though dust or glitter, its hard to say

That's why I decided to go get it looked at so that it didn't detract from the evening.

The doctor that treated me said that they'd been inundated with people with eye issues all weekend.

Hate to be that guy but the relentless heat Friday and Saturday almost finished me off. Ruins it for as I don’t like drinking in the scorching heat coupled with walking loads. Was sweating just sat in the camping chair not moving. Spent most of the weekend sat down in the very minimal cramped shade.

Sunday was an absolute dream. Restored every negative thought I was having. Perfect conditions albeit a little windy. 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I can report @FuzzyDunlop was alive and well I Randomly met him late on Sunday stood near my campsite and he said he’d coped better than some of his mates . Didn’t seem to be burnt much either . Also bumped into @Sheffield Steve the same day . Was a day for weather thread celeb spotting 

I was camped about 5 tents behind you.

I am pretty sunburnt... you prob couldnt tell in the dark! 

Saturday was a killer for me. I had a few plans, which changed to "There is room in the Shade at the Glade"... so I watched some of youth b2b Gaudi, all of African Head charge & all of Dreadzone.

My tip is, spend as little time at the pyramid as you can when its sunny. The sun tracks you. At the other stage it's behind you. It makes it easier.

I think I'd dreaded it so much, it ended up being easier for me than for others.

• Upvote 1

3/10 Weather Wise for me. There was a breeze that made it manageable. Saturday wasnt good. 2019 & 2010 especially were much harder IMO, due to the lack of breeze. 2010 was like this year's Saturday for 5 days.

Most comfortable time weather wise for mrwas Wednesday morning for me when it was raining.

i didnt wear a coat or a hoodie all week. Annoyingly I carried them in.

I managed to stack it carry my gear in just aftert the rain on Wednesday. Not the best start to 5 days without the use of a shower. Was praying for rain shower just for a wash!

image.thumb.png.0d9a96ba84e1cd5128f1d3b6220a57a6.png

Weather was a little too hot at times, especially without the shade but I still prefered it to rain and being cold. As someone mentioned above, never wore any of my long sleeved clothes or warm gear, which annoyingly were the heaviest items I carried in. Only the period waiting for Elton did I ever feel anything like being cold.

9/10 year for me weather wise.

1 hour ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Four (all but) dry festivals back-to-back. Fantastic. How long can our luck hold? 

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/hot-hand-fallacy

The hot-hand fallacy describes our tendency to believe that a successful streak is likely to lead to further success. For example, if a basketball player has made three consecutive shots, we may believe he has a greater chance of making the fourth than is actually likely. 

On 6/25/2023 at 8:29 PM, al_coholic said:

thats 3 or 4 virtually dry festivals in a row I think since 2016. when does the luck run out, or is this it now with global warming and the like

I think the issue with climate change is we are less and less likely to get (for me) enjoyable weather. 

Patterns will get more extreme, meaning we will likely get absolute scorchers, or 2016 levels and often not something in between

If everyday at Glastonbury was like Saturday, I would not be going. Not enjoyable at all.

We took our three year old to his first Glasto this year for the first two days of the festival and the weather was incredibly kind to us! Lovely warm, sunny weather Weds & Thurs but not so hot that we were worried about him in the heat. He could play and run around happily. 

We then left around midday Friday to bring him back up to Bristol (home) to stay with family and we went back down on our own to spend the weekend with friends on the farm. The weather certainly stepped up a level on saturday and I am not sure he would have been able to have had much fun in that heat! 

So thank you to the Glasto gods for giving us pretty much the perfect weekend of weather!

Loved the weather this year, walking around in a T shirt at 1am is my ideal.  Managed to cool off in the peace garden and various tents / bits of shade when needed and my 8hr factor 50 suncream and hat did the job, no sunburn.  Only had a couple of pints of cider a day and drank coke the rest of the time which kept me hydrated.  My only complaint is the ice cream vans were almost always out of slushies..