The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

Tanking down in W Yorks at the mo.  Rained overnight/early hours, seemed to be slowing and then the last 30 minutes it's gotten pretty torrential again.  Think I can hear distant thunder too.  Supposed to slow then stop this afternoon, so should be drying when I start loading the car.  👍

These are the daily maximum temperatures for the festival indicated by the midnight run of these models, where available at this time range.

Remarkable consistency across the board.   Temps in the low 20s for the first few days, then rising for the weekend.  The only real outlier is the ECM on the Sunday, which has a few showers around in the afternoon which keep temps down to 21, which would be much more bearable…. In summary - warm, then very warm…!

ECM, GFS, GEM, ICON, UKMO

Wednesday: 21,21,21,22,22

Thursday: 22,22,23,24,22

Friday: 23,21,23,23,24

Saturday: 24,25,26,26,26

Sunday: 21,25,28,,26

1 minute ago, Sheffield Steve said:

These are the daily maximum temperatures for the festival indicated by the midnight run of these models, where available at this time range.

Remarkable consistency across the board.   Temps in the low 20s for the first few days, then rising for the weekend.  The only real outlier is the ECM on the Sunday, which has a few showers around in the afternoon which keep temps down to 21, which would be much more bearable…. In summary - warm, then very warm…!

ECM, GFS, GEM, ICON, UKMO

Wednesday: 21,21,21,22,22

Thursday: 22,22,23,24,22

Friday: 23,21,23,23,24

Saturday: 24,25,26,26,26

Sunday: 21,25,28,,26

I haven't endured brexit for the last 7 years to have Glastonbury ruined by a stupid eUrOpEaN weather model. 

• Upvote 1

I had a walk up to the top of Pennard Hill to assess the ground. It has been bone dry and everything is now a bit sodden, but no flooding, just the odd puddle. It would dry out conpletely with a full day of sun. Sun is breaking through the cloud now so we'll see. I suspect it may be a bit soft in place underfoot when everyone arrives but not problematic. 

20230620_085109.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Thank the lord this wasn’t Wednesday - we would definitely have lost the ground.  This could be one of the luckiest years since 2019. 

This is how I feel. It was completely dry for the entire build, and stayed that way until pretty much everyone was in place on Tuesday morning, then a deluge of rain onto bone dry ground just before the masses descend, and then nothing but dry forecast (with the possibility of extremely light and inconsequential showers). 

We needed rain at some point. The weather gods have decided it will not impact the festival.

Now, let’s sacrifice a goat.  

Just wanted to add my thanks as well to all those knowledgeable souls who have translated charts and lines into understandable language for us mere mortals, as we have followed the journey of the last 225 pages.

In particular @Sheffield Steve for keeping our feet on the ground with a more pessimistic view, and of course our cult hero @briddj. The dedication of providing such in depth reports after each run has been outstanding. We saw what happened to the forecast when you took a night off, so I think we can thank you for the great weather it looks like we are set for now.

Special thoughts to @FuzzyDunlop . We know that its not the forecast that you were hoping for, but hope that you still manage to have a great time. You took some pretty aggressive 'feedback' from some of the posters, but took it all with good grace and that Glastonbury spirit that many people only manage to have for 5 days a year.

Wishing all of you heading off soon safe travels, an amazing festival and I am sure we will all be back for the rollercoaster and knife edges of the 2024 Weather thread 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, Skier68 said:

Just wanted to add my thanks as well to all those knowledgeable souls who have translated charts and lines into understandable language for us mere mortals, as we have followed the journey of the last 225 pages.

In particular @Sheffield Steve for keeping our feet on the ground with a more pessimistic view, and of course our cult hero @briddj. The dedication of providing such in depth reports after each run has been outstanding. We saw what happened to the forecast when you took a night off, so I think we can thank you for the great weather it looks like we are set for now.

Special thoughts to @FuzzyDunlop . We know that its not the forecast that you were hoping for, but hope that you still manage to have a great time. You took some pretty aggressive 'feedback' from some of the posters, but took it all with good grace and that Glastonbury spirit that many people only manage to have for 5 days a year.

Wishing all of you heading off soon safe travels, an amazing festival and I am sure we will all be back for the rollercoaster and knife edges of the 2024 Weather thread 

Concurred. Great effort

9 minutes ago, Skier68 said:

What a fantastic post. 

5 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'd like to give honorable mention to @The Nal. His reliable input has given me much joy as I've followed along.

Agreed. Sorry I missed him from my list of credits. Like the grumpy old guy who sits in the same seat in the pub every day moaning about everything. New people to the pub think he is a pain, but regulars love him and the place wouldn't be the same without him.

9 minutes ago, Skier68 said:

Agreed. Sorry I missed him from my list of credits. Like the grumpy old guy who sits in the same seat in the pub every day moaning about everything. New people to the pub think he is a pain, but regulars love him and the place wouldn't be the same without him.

0559305A-053B-4052-9F15-4B6E40EB5983.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Skier68 said:

Out of reactions but exactly that!

8 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'd like to give honorable mention to @The Nal. His reliable input has given me much joy as I've followed along.

Haha thank you.

Well done everyone! Another completely pointless 225 pages!!

Best place on earth to be this week.

Signing off, have a great festival!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 16