Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

7 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

No thats from the co-op. The free ones at the gate were Yeo Valley and they aren't on site anymore. 

I’m sure I got one of those near the gate. Always have. Normally there’s a cheery bunch handing them out on the grass after you’ve got through the turnstile.

I never ventured into the co-op

Edited by dogeggs

3 hours ago, Lithoniel said:

Given how disposable vapes have boomed in popularity, you'll see a lot more of them than actual cigerettes this year.

Definitely, it was certainly like that at Reading - couldn't walk 10m without seeing one on the floor. Imagine i'll probably end up bringing one myself to complement by cigs

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Definitely, it was certainly like that at Reading - couldn't walk 10m without seeing one on the floor. Imagine i'll probably end up bringing one myself to complement by cigs

I’ve been solely on the vapes for a few years now, but always revert to rollies just for Glastonbury. Anything less that actual smokes would feel like an unnecessary punishment.

5 minutes ago, Thevorpalblade said:

Parking next to your tent.

Happy campers gazing into the distance whilst standing, stark b*llock naked, outside their tents.  

Aye, that heady mixture of fires, tents and cars seems extraordinary looking back 

2 hours ago, dogeggs said:

I’m sure I got one of those near the gate. Always have. Normally there’s a cheery bunch handing them out on the grass after you’ve got through the turnstile.

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

They just changed the sponsors though.  They were still free and at the gate just not Yeo Valley.

There was a gap in 2017 between Yeo Valley pulling out, and the Co-Op arriving, where the bags weren't sponsored or given out free at the gates - instead they were sold for a few quid at the merch stalls and info points.

3 hours ago, dogeggs said:

I remember the outdoor cinema being up behind the New Bands tent (now John Peel) - where I heard it was customary to get dressed up every year for the annual Sunday night screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Never found out if that was true - maybe it still happens now..I’ve never really got round to finding out.

They definitely showed it at midnight on the Saturday at the Pilton Palais Cinema and quite a few were dressed up, not sure whether it was shown in 2019

10 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

No thats from the co-op. The free ones at the gate were Yeo Valley and they aren't on site anymore. 

That’s not from the co-op - it’s the one you got at the gate. We didn’t go anywhere near the co-op all weekend but have a couple of these. 

11 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Ok that's weird, did they have a year off in 17 then? Definately didn't get one at a recent glasto, unless they just didn't have any when I entered.

They were there in 2017 too. 

Hot knives tents and queue's at the Ice Cream van, that wasn't selling Ice Cream!

Also, I remember a massive vat of hot Scrumpy about 8 foot wide and had a heater underneath (can't really remember tbh). The guy selling it just had a massive stick and was stirring all the apples and you bought a pint glass and helped yourself. Anyone else remember this or had I spent to much on (not) Ice Cream? 😅

Sorry, going back to '84 there.

21 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

Hot knives tents and queue's at the Ice Cream van, that wasn't selling Ice Cream!

Ha...2004 I think.... we witnessed an ice cream van being raided over by Dance Tent.  The bill got the guy out and carted him off in a squad car and another copper then drove the van away, still wearing his helmet and some guy running after him asking for a '99.  We willed him to put the chimes on but it sadly didn't happen.

If it hadn't happened where it did you'd be convinced it was a set up 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

That’s not from the co-op - it’s the one you got at the gate. We didn’t go anywhere near the co-op all weekend but have a couple of these. 

They were there in 2017 too. 

Ah fair enough @blutarsky. Can I be technically still right as I don't go through the gates in the same way as a worker so I did have to get mine at the Co-op?

20 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

theres more of a feel of people needing to be entertained , than being able to be or provide their own entertainment these days 

Agree with that.

When I started doing Reading festival in 1999 it was just watch the headliners then back to the campsite for chaos/sitting at randoms campfire/meeting people/generally being silly.

Doesn't happen at all now because Silent Discos and late bars are still open so people opt for that now.

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

We used to do the same for years, and it was also Top Webbs Ash. How strange. 

Some people near us at Reading Festival one year had a poo tent.....this was when someone needed a shit they would go into the tent, turn round and take a dump into a carrier bag, tie it up and throw it to the back of the tent.

I saw males and females both doing this.

Foul.

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Some people near us at Reading Festival one year had a poo tent.....this was when someone needed a shit they would go into the tent, turn round and take a dump into a carrier bag, tie it up and throw it to the back of the tent.

I saw males and females both doing this.

Foul.

I went to Secret Garden Party one year and two blokes with money to spare asked around if anybody would put up their new massive pod tent (it had a huge central area and two bedroom compartments) for £50. There were soon a couple of takers, who put the beautiful tent up. Anyway, come the Monday morning it was evident that the two blokes had just abandoned the tent. I thought to myself 'I'm having that tent'. So, I walked into it to see what, if any, damage had been done to it ie. was it worth saving. It wasn't. It wasn't because they had evidently used one of the bedroom chambers to dump in all weekend. Gross. However, it was even more disturbing, as there was a line of portaloos about 100 feet away from the tent. They couldn't even be arsed walking to the portaloos, and had left the shit laden tent for someone else to clean up. Scum.

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I went to Secret Garden Party one year and two blokes with money to spare asked around if anybody would put up their new massive pod tent (it had a huge central area and two bedroom compartments) for £50. There were soon a couple of takers, who put the beautiful tent up. Anyway, come the Monday morning it was evident that the two blokes had just abandoned the tent. I thought to myself 'I'm having that tent'. So, I walked into it to see what, if any, damage had been done to it ie. was it worth saving. It wasn't. It wasn't because they had evidently used one of the bedroom chambers to dump in all weekend. Gross. However, it was even more disturbing, as there was a line of portaloos about 100 feet away from the tent. They couldn't even be arsed walking to the portaloos, and had left the shit laden tent for someone else to clean up. Scum.

See I don't really understand this as towards the end of the weekend isn't the tent starting to smell really badly of their shit from across the weekend, unlike the portaloos that are cleaned regularly? 

One year at Reading Festival (seems to be a theme doesn't there?) 2004 I think it was, right at the end of the weekend it was about 5am and I was having my last piss before bed...as I got to this massive block of portaloos there were about 5 stewards all stood outside a portaloo looking in with disgust, as I was pissing I could hear 'well i'm not moving him' 'oh my god how much drugs do you have to do to get into that state'  as I finished up my leak I thought 'I've got to see what it is they are looking at'

So as I left I walked past and one of the stewards said 'take a look at this mate' and opened the door fully...inside there was a big fat bloke, completely bollock naked sat in the toilet asleep with a can of Fosters in his hand and he was slowly sinking down into the toilet with a all the poo, piss, puke, tampons etc all slowly enveloping over his legs and cock.  There were also about 20 flies buzzing round him.

The image will haunt me to my grave.

😮 

15 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think it was 2013 we had just finished setting up our tents and were relaxing with a few beers when we saw 2 guys struggling to set a huge quechqua family tent ( brand new with labels still attached ). We initially had a good laugh at their efforts, then decided maybe we should help out. So went over, apologised for our amusement and offered to help. After erecting the tent I made a comment about what a great tent it was, the guys said "If you like it it's yours on Monday". That tent is still going strong having done several more Glastonburys and other festivals.

12 hours ago, gfa said:

I hope Glastonbury do a big social media campaign to at least try and stop people bringing them. They're absolutely awful for the environment and are obviously single use plastic (which the festival banned in 2019). I appreciate that people want to vape, but they should be encouraged to bring the reusable ones.