Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Yeah me too.

I’m willing to go on with an open mind as the festival usually gets big changes right. 

But it really was magical, some of my favourite memories are dancing under those trees. 

Indeed. Will keep an open mind but it's the dancing under the trees that was magical. Hoping they have a smaller something there and more open air so there's still dancing but even more open/ trees. They used to have the much smaller 'G stage' there, something like this would be perfect. 

9 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I liked The Glade in the trees but if the sound bleed was really bad enough that Other headliners were commenting on it then I can see why they'd want a rethink.

Perhaps they’re also improving the much complained about sound system on the Other Stage. 

The “Glade” being a shaded area for chilling with screens showing what’s happening in “The Glade” would mean less sound bleed issues for both areas. 

Now they have reversed it!  The cut through is back on the main click-thru map, but not the map on the information page.  They're trying to confuse us.

They are definitely watching and teasing us.  Sorry glasto peeps, but I still don't think its right!

Ok they've fixed it now. they've replaced the -1 with a .1

No changes other than a new medical tent in silver hayes.  Cut through at glastolatino is still blocked.image.thumb.gif.9aba80af8299155f5f3e4424c87cfd72.gif 
Outsiders must think we are mental, getting exited about the slightest footpath change and addition of a medical tent.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siblin said:

Now they have reversed it!  The cut through is back on the main click-thru map, but not the map on the information page.  They're trying to confuse us.

They are definitely watching and teasing us.  Sorry glasto peeps, but I still don't think its right!

They’re just using us as proofreaders. They know we analyse the smallest details.

It’s very easy to miss something off a drawing when you’re spending all your time looking at it.

Having a few hundred extra eyes checking over their work is very useful for spotting things that are easily missed. 

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Would be weird to introduce the Wormhole, have it be so popular there are consistently massive queues, then get rid of it the next year.

Agreed. Worm Disco Club, who run it, are on the Shangri La poster, so could be moving there? Or could just be them doing a slot somewhere. Moving a popular venue from the Park to the already packed Shangers would seem a bit nuts.

Just now, Staberinde said:

I often wonder why they decide to put some venues in then take them out - and vicer vercer - over different years.

Won't be the only reason - but often it's simply that the people doing them decided not to do it for whatever reason, rather than any grand masterplan on the festival side of things.

• Upvote 1

I reckon most years they've used the last years map and just edited it.

This year, it looks like they started completely afresh, from a blank slate.

The graphics looks crisp and clear, hats off to Glasto Cartographer, who ever they may be 👏

I think we need to bear in mind they've had two years with unexpectedly zero income. I know some people want to be optimistic and assume that every change is going to be for some good reason, but the reason might just be slimming the budget a little bit to get them back on track.

They're doing what they can to keep the spirit of it - Avalon Cafe is sort of there, but it's a new provider and they're running it as essentially an open mic rather than paid/ticketed spots. Some smaller venues might just be going altogether. 

We've been spoiled by effectively 30 years of growth and expansion from the festival, we've come to assume that'll always be the case, but the reality is there might just be a bit of belt-tightening going on this year, and I can hardly blame them!

57 minutes ago, Staberinde said:

I reckon most years they've used the last years map and just edited it.

This year, it looks like they started completely afresh, from a blank slate.

The graphics looks crisp and clear, hats off to Glasto Cartographer, who ever they may be 👏

Turns out all we needed was lockdown to give them the time to edit it!

38 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think we need to bear in mind they've had two years with unexpectedly zero income. I know some people want to be optimistic and assume that every change is going to be for some good reason, but the reason might just be slimming the budget a little bit to get them back on track.

They're doing what they can to keep the spirit of it - Avalon Cafe is sort of there, but it's a new provider and they're running it as essentially an open mic rather than paid/ticketed spots. Some smaller venues might just be going altogether. 

We've been spoiled by effectively 30 years of growth and expansion from the festival, we've come to assume that'll always be the case, but the reality is there might just be a bit of belt-tightening going on this year, and I can hardly blame them!

Although necessity is the mother of invention as they say so they may end up doing something brilliant even it it's original intention was just to save money. 

40 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Of course this is undoubtedly likely to be true, there is still a fine balance to be had though. I know Glastonbury operates almost in a different dimension to other festivals, but Bestival got itself into a downward spiral that ultimately ended in its demise, through cutting back and ultimately not selling all the tickets and it became a bit of a vicious circle. Towards the end they had stuff half finished and ended up with a smaller main stage one year, as well as the move to the mainland to try and rescue itself but the diminished product sent ticket sales lower and lower.

Glastonbury can’t afford to take too many liberties with things as it can unravel very quickly.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Of course this is undoubtedly likely to be true, there is still a fine balance to be had though. I know Glastonbury operates almost in a different dimension to other festivals, but Bestival got itself into a downward spiral that ultimately ended in its demise, through cutting back and ultimately not selling all the tickets and it became a bit of a vicious circle. Towards the end they had stuff half finished and ended up with a smaller main stage one year, as well as the move to the mainland to try and rescue itself but the diminished product sent ticket sales lower and lower.

Glastonbury can’t afford to take too many liberties with things as it can unravel very quickly.

Totally agree I’ve had this discussion with others who don’t seem to see that … along with the financial situation as it is and is becoming more so …. It’s a very fine balance