Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

7 hours ago, David_303 said:

I quite like the slightly overzealous fervor around it - excitement, speculation, hyperbole - the lot!

Yeah, i think that's all good and is the modus operandi, especially with mere weeks to go.  It's the number of posts complaining about changes to the glade, when unless anybody knows otherwise, is forced upon them due to Ash Dieback. 

I trust that they don't change things people love without good reason. 

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I don't think anyone was really having a dig at the festival about it, it was more just a sense of disappointment that a place they love won't be there this year. Nothing wrong with expressing that imo 🙂

I agree and this dying tree point is also just speculation isn’t it? I’m sad as I love that stage with its sunsets and as a general meeting point for us and if it’s just a tent it won’t be as good, it can’t be but it can have a great lineup and the sound may be better etc so I’m looking forward to seeing it, just hope it’s more than a generic tent

4 minutes ago, Barneym said:

I agree and this dying tree point is also just speculation isn’t it? I’m sad as I love that stage with its sunsets and as a general meeting point for us and if it’s just a tent it won’t be as good, it can’t be but it can have a great lineup and the sound may be better etc so I’m looking forward to seeing it, just hope it’s more than a generic tent

No they are very much suffering from ash dieback … that isn’t under question what so ever …. I guess the impact on the glade might be slightly … but they have definately removed some trees and branches from that area 

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No they are very much suffering from ash dieback … that isn’t under question what so ever …. I guess the impact on the glade might be slightly … but they have definately removed some trees and branches from that area 

Sure but if those trees have ash dieback that wouldn't in itself mean the stage would need to move. It would be a few days work for tree surgeons at most to fell any that are affected. All trees with dieback will have to go anyway if the area is to be used at all, be that as a stage or just a shady shelter. Any trees removed will likely be replaced with other breeds to grow over the next 20/30 years.

Despite my attempts otherwise I'm still no good at identifying Ash, is that definitely the only breed of tree in the Glade?

Edited by Junglist1981

47 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

OCD alert - there was no festival in 1991!

When did his old band headline the pyramid either?  He was in Underworld and they've headlined West Holts since he left, but as far as I recall their highest billing when he was in the band was 1999 when they subbed to the Manics.

7 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Sure but if those trees have ash dieback that wouldn't in itself mean the stage would need to move. It would be a few days work for tree surgeons at most to fell any that are affected. All trees with dieback will have to go if they area is to be used in any way, be that as a stage or just a shady shelter. Any trees removed will likely be replaced with other breeds to grow over the next 20/30 years.

Despite my attempts otherwise I'm still no good at identifying Ash, is that definitely the only breed of tree in the Glade?

I’m sure it’s not the only type but does make up a significant number of trees onsite … clearing the lot is a huge job 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m sure it’s not the only type but does make up a significant number of trees onsite … clearing the lot is a huge job 

Course yeah, but they've had years to do it. They've done it to The Woods, they definitely could of done the Glade too if needs be.

FWIW I reckon a good reason that the Glade stage might be moved would be to introduce an additional shaded and sheltered chillout area. On roasting hot days anywhere shady is absolutely rammed, it's definitely a problem that needs solving. 

3 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Course yeah, but they've had years to do it. They've done it to The Woods, they definitely could of done the Glade too if needs be.

When you say they've had years - how do you mean? They obviously won't be pre-emptively chopping down healthy Ash trees just in case they get infected. The advice on infected trees is to monitor closely, remove infected parts as and when, and only fell the tree as a last resort.

It's certainly not a case of they could've gone round the site a couple years ago, hit everything once, and job done - it's a constantly moving target.

We know there is significant ash dieback at Worthy.  We don't know that this has any bearing on the movement of The Glade.  It certainly seemed a reasonable theory before it was pointed out that the trees in the actual glade (unlike Spike) don't appear to have had significant work done, the trees there are mainly poplar and we've heard nothing about the area being blocked off to the public.

I think it might be a red herring.  That old tent was knackered.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

When you say they've had years - how do you mean? They obviously won't be pre-emptively chopping down healthy Ash trees just in case they get infected. The advice on infected trees is to monitor closely, remove infected parts as and when, and only fell the tree as a last resort.

It's certainly not a case of they could've gone round the site a couple years ago, hit everything once, and job done - it's a constantly moving target.

Thats kinda true I guess… It’s something they would of been keeping a very close eye on though and couldn’t of taken them completely by surprise. If any Ash in that area were discovered to be affected they could be very quickly removed. Recently loads of roads in my area were shut for a week at a time for preemptive felling and the amount they took down in that time is scary. Preemptive felling is very much taking place where falling trees could endanger life.

Besides which the main trees in the glade are apparently Poplar, thus unaffected.

Also the glade is still showing as an area in use on the map, hence ash dieback can’t be a dangerous problem there.

6 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

There have been no trees removed from the Glade stage area. Only 3 tree trunk posts about 25 foot high erected in a triangle in the centre of the dance floor.

Maybe it is a combination of bands complaining about sound bleed and like @stuartbert two hats said the tent might be knackered so they though it's good time to have a change... Either way we'll soon find out 👍🤣

The Glade isn't a tent, it's really just a canopy isnt it, very open in all directions. Does it even need a canopy anyway I wonder, it would still be great underneath just tree cover. I'm not sure it would create issues with sound bleed either as it is so open already, It will be back I'm sure

11 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

There have been no trees removed from the Glade stage area. Only 3 tree trunk posts about 25 foot high erected in a triangle in the centre of the dance floor.

I wonder if the glade lounge people are moving to the glade woods to create something more open and organic like it originally was before they built the big stage. Would be a straight swap.

All I want to do is dance under the trees. If this means to lesser big names (such as glade lounge have) then so be it. In fact would prob welcome it. 

59 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

No Wormhole at Park this year? I bloody loved that place the music was immense!

seems like a shame it was only there one festival?

Didn't manage a ticket for 2019, heard a lot of references to Wormhole - what was it and what did I miss?!

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was oversubscribed and usually had massive, slow moving queues outside. I haven't got a clue what it looked like inside.

I am kind of glad you've said that. A lots of my glasto going mates have said 'it's a must see venue, you have to see it'
I've always meant to, but meh, there is so much to see and do, and I never got around to it.

Now this would be my 'off the main trail -  little known but excellent, recommendation.

The Chalk Bar.

Any others here in this thread enjoyed themselves there?