Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

1 hour ago, theciderviking said:

Say what you like about Coldplay, that was incredible! 🤩

5797EFD3-C109-455A-825D-BF82D538CC05.thumb.jpeg.e4f5d88e80b4cddb61c19e6ce9f30fc4.jpeg

I saw them on Wednesday night - absolutely joyous ❤️ 

There was a time when I'd tell everyone I couldn't stand Coldplay until I was coerced into seeing them at Glastonbury in 2016. My son asked me to just give them 10 minutes and if I hated it he'd come somewhere else with me. I stayed for the full set and they were amazing. I mean, I'm never going to be queuing on Record Store Day to buy merch or anything- but they are fantastic live 🙂

Baaba Maal at the Barbican. Been there before for different shows but never a gig. Most of you would hate it due to seating, but it suits my lazy old rump. 

I had cracking seats and it was a very entertaining show - I rated it a bit more highly than they did. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/music/baaba-maal-live-barbican-gig-review-b1084547.html

20230530_215033.jpg

20230530_205435.jpg

20230530_210207.jpg

20230530_211252.jpg

20230530_211320.jpg

20230530_211351.jpg

20230530_212237.jpg

BTW check out his bass player, she was brilliant and had that amazing outfit and played a 5 string bass - I'm ignorant and didn't know that was a thing. 

I looked her up and it turns out she's also an activist in and organisation taking care of albinos. 

Pretty much each of the members of the band got a solo and when they did he would invite them to take centre stage and he would hold the mic to their instrument as well, to emphasise it further. 

There were also up to 5 blokes playing percussion at a time and at some point even a protest for a couple of minutes, where 4 people stood and shouted (I don't know what, but about something Senegal related I believe) , before they left. 

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 1

Interpol at Bristol's O2 Academy last night were on fine form.

We didn't get to hear The Rover but a solid 90min set nonetheless.

Water From Your Eyes were support, they're another New York band and on-point, I could have easily watched them for another hour. I'll certainly be looking out for future tours / festival performances.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-02 at 09.03.39.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-02 at 09.03.38.jpg

• Like 1

Roger Waters in Glasgow on Friday.

The gig is pretty spectacular. Great setlist. Would have liked him to have done Pigs (three different ones) & Young Lust, but I thought he was excellent.

Obviously there is a lot of controversy in the gig. I dont really understand why he needed to dress up at 1 point, but it's a show about joining people together. Not pulling them apart. In my opinion.

On 6/4/2023 at 7:24 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Roger Waters in Glasgow on Friday.

The gig is pretty spectacular. Great setlist. Would have liked him to have done Pigs (three different ones) & Young Lust, but I thought he was excellent.

Obviously there is a lot of controversy in the gig. I dont really understand why he needed to dress up at 1 point, but it's a show about joining people together. Not pulling them apart. In my opinion.

Went yesterday at Greenwich.

Brilliant but at the same time quite harrowing.

The anti-establishmentismness would have gone down extremely well on the farm I reckon*. Wouldn't be able to do the splitting the stage into four thing though. Was a bit worried that I may have had crap seats but they really made the whole stage in the centre of the venue thing work wonderfully. Not a bad seat in the house I reckon. The visuals during Eclipse are just awesome. Proper "Wow" stuff.

I'm going again tonight (just about to leave). Fourth row seat :) .

Then a day to relax before starting serious glastobation is the plan.

*...but can you imagine the stick the BBC would get these days for broadcasting something so political?

Possible spoilers below warning for those going to Manchester.

Regarding my above post.

Well. You live and learn.

My fourth row seat tonight* was possibly not as good as my near the back of the floor one yesterday.

OK it was intimately close. Look the performers in the eye close. Close enough to be able to hear some of the instruments acoustically over their amplified sound close (hope that makes sense).

But.

I could only see about a quarter of the stage. Probably not even that given it rises in the middle.

Plus the crick in my neck has got worse from having to strain up to see the screens.

Yesterday I raved about the affect of the effects for Eclipse (hope that's the right way 'round). Didn't really work close up. I looked over my shoulder to observe the tiers going mad for it but the section I was in wasn't really getting it. I guess you had to be at the right angle (no 90 degree jokes please).

I'd be interested to know what those near a corner in The Upper Gods could actually see. Easy screen watch but still just a quarter of the stage?

Still a brilliant show though. Top Tier. That's the phrase I was looking for for those in The Gods..

*It's not tomorrow until you've been to bed.

Edited by MrZigster

Osees at The Marble Factory in Bristol last week.

First time seeing them. Huge energy, with a two drummer set up. Crowd were well up for it with pits and surfing. I used to joke that John Dwyer must be the hardest working man in rock and roll due to his prolific output, but that was before I saw his drummers in action! 

PXL_20230530_200737195.NIGHT.jpg

Couple of stadium shows in the last week. P!nk was incredible at Bolton, however massively marred by the transport going home. One train from the local station and nothing by the time you get back to Bolton station. Needs looking at.

Sam Fender at St James was just as good but in other ways. Atmosphere was off the charts and even two thirds of the way back, many a singalong, a dance and a mosh during Howden Aldo Death Queue. Really good.

Off to Editors in Northampton in the week for a sweaty warm up show before they start the festival run.

Saw Noel, Garbage and Metric last night. Man, oasis fans cleared out after Noel since he was second so a couple thousand less to watch Shirley Manson and co tear it up. Why be that disrespectful. And its been happening every night of this tour so far. Its a solid triple bill and theres no need to leave early and waste money like that.

23 hours ago, fantomas said:

@Olshanskyhow was the Joni Mitchell evening?

I arrived home at 6:00am today after a red eye flight from Seattle. 

I am exhausted, but I would do it all over again times ten.  Joni is in better form than any of us could have hoped. To have heard her sing one song would've been enough for me, but this show was three hours long! Annie Lennox signing Ladies of the Canyon was a massive surprise.  Night Ride Home actually made me gasp, I didn't dare hope to hear it. Not a dry eye in the house for Both Sides Now and A Case of You. Shine is a song that I never paid much attention to, but may have gotten me crying the hardest.  We were row 11 center, so we had a perfect view of everything.  This show makes the top three of my life (Along with Kate Bush and David Bowie.  Can't rank them, they're all the best) 

I posted a full video of "Summertime" on my instagram if you're interested.  my handle is @yourenotridofme 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Olshansky said:

I arrived home at 6:00am today after a red eye flight from Seattle. 

I am exhausted, but I would do it all over again times ten.  Joni is in better form than any of us could have hoped. To have heard her sing one song would've been enough for me, but this show was three hours long! Annie Lennox signing Ladies of the Canyon was a massive surprise.  Night Ride Home actually made me gasp, I didn't dare hope to hear it. Not a dry eye in the house for Both Sides Now and A Case of You. Shine is a song that I never paid much attention to, but may have gotten me crying the hardest.  We were row 11 center, so we had a perfect view of everything.  This show makes the top three of my life (Along with Kate Bush and David Bowie.  Can't rank them, they're all the best) 

I posted a full video of "Summertime" on my instagram if you're interested.  my handle is @yourenotridofme 

Aw so glad it was everything you could have hoped for and more! 

• Like 1

KISS at Birmingham NEC 5th June 2023

My second time seeing KISS, my second time not paying for a ticket, and amazingly the second time seeing them on the same End of the Road tour (4 years apart!). We missed the opening band, but got in in time for Skindred. They've got a job and they do it well - party starters, crowd engagement, a singer who puts on novelty specs and then changes them for a different pair because they were wrong for that crowd. Not ashamed to say I stood in my seat and did the newport helicopter with a handful of others as the bemused crowd looked on.

KISS came onstage following an intro video of a drone shot of the Birmingham NIA - a building we were not in! - and then a backstage walk through an arena with distinctly american signage. A good laugh, but soon forgotten once the opening pyro was scorching our faces as the band instructed us to both GET UP and GET DOWN.20230605_220753.thumb.jpg.dcaf47df7f01a390fa1409563fdc227a.jpg

71 year old Paul Stanley has the energy of a man a third his age, effectively crip walking in his platform boots and talking to us in his Roger Rabbit voice, shooting around on his harness-free zip wire, and mugging for the audience.

20230605_214353.thumb.jpg.122ce43efbe2c95feb19c9d7c72b0ec0.jpg

Unlike most american acts who emphasise the 'ham' in Birmingham, Paul Stanley pronounced it as Ozzy might ('Burmingum'), leaving the ham for the fire breathing, tongue waggling, blood drinking, stage rising performance itself, replete with the drummer miming piano play for encore song 'Beth'.

20230605_223738.thumb.jpg.bd84a391ea697b24623bf48c85d843e5.jpg

A lot of jokes are made about every tour being their last tour, but watching them it's clear they just don't want to let this feeling go. They played for over 2 hours! The set was mostly the same songs in the same order as 4 years ago, with a few additions in the middle, and sickeningly 'Crazy Crazy Nights' being cut from the encore. As we left the arena singing to the outro tape of 'God Gave Rock And Roll To You', a woman looked at me and smiling said 'Mott the Hoople'. She couldn't be more wrong, but we can't all be firing on all cylinders like KISS on a monday night.

20230605_224917.thumb.jpg.2fd2f3ed934d92961598fab99f1650d1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Saw Warpaint at Meltdown, Royal Festival Hall. All seated which made it a bit awkward but got everyone up by the end.

third time I’ve seen them and easily the best. The rhythm section of that band is something else and their stage presence is really good compared to previous. And their songs just move me

definitely check them out at glasto

IMG_8295.jpeg

I saw Bombay Bicycle Club tonight at Earth in Hackney, goof fun as always. I also enjoyed the support but did not catch her name due to plenty of talkers and her accent (sounded irish). She done an enjoyable cover of the Dancing in the Dark. Did anyone else attend tonight and catch her name? I think her name is Sarah but missed the second part of the name.

18 minutes ago, Dales said:

I saw Bombay Bicycle Club tonight at Earth in Hackney, goof fun as always. I also enjoyed the support but did not catch her name due to plenty of talkers and her accent (sounded irish). She done an enjoyable cover of the Dancing in the Dark. Did anyone else attend tonight and catch her name? I think her name is Sarah but missed the second part of the name.

Sarah Crean, and she is indeed from Dublin. 🙂

• Like 1

Saw Ryan Adams & The Cardinals in Raleigh, NC a few weeks ago. Terrible show unfortunately, I’m not a ‘jam band’ guy and that was the deal here…stretching songs to 10 minutes apiece….very Cold Roses heavy….should have caught him on the solo acoustic tour would have been more my cup of tea.