Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

13 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Just left Confidence Man at Glasgow Barrowlands. Sweating like Prince Andrew. Need to be booked again.

Absolutely brilliant night! Incredible atmosphere, up there with the best I’ve seen this year, was working on the Friday this year and missed them at the Park, but Holy shit tonight made up for that!

10 minutes ago, blue6field said:

Absolutely brilliant night! Incredible atmosphere, up there with the best I’ve seen this year, was working on the Friday this year and missed them at the Park, but Holy shit tonight made up for that!

Good news is that was better than the Glastonbury set. They were brilliant on the Park but they work even better in the dark and in the sweatiest venue of all.

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:01 PM, gigpusher said:

Yep last time we saw them at Albert Hall she was talking about that time. Love their harmonies. Looking forward to it a lot. Are you going?

(I know the question wasn't for me but) I am actually going to see them in Glasgow in a couple of weeks, and then catching them in Amsterdam in February. Other Half is a big fan. So big that I need to split our streaming account now because my algorithm is all f*d up 🙄.  I do like the new album though.

The Glasto set was brilliant, they seemed so happy to be there!

1 hour ago, moogster said:

(I know the question wasn't for me but) I am actually going to see them in Glasgow in a couple of weeks, and then catching them in Amsterdam in February. Other Half is a big fan. So big that I need to split our streaming account now because my algorithm is all f*d up 🙄.  I do like the new album though.

The Glasto set was brilliant, they seemed so happy to be there!

Enjoy. Your other half has at least some good taste!! At least your algorithim doesn't include calming classical music for dogs 😄 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Quark said:

Damn you @balti-pie!!

20221109_190707.jpg

Oh yes! already planning another trip to Brighton with the missus so she can give it a bash as well! Happy Maki just round the corner is a bit of a haunt for me too, its basically mandatory to eat amazing vegan nosebag when in Brighton 🥰

Saw RedCar (FKA Christine and the Queens) do the full new album in Paris yesterday. Venue was Cirque D'hivier and it seems as though it is normally what it says on the tin - a circus that you can go to in the winter. Was absolutely cracking as a venue, super interesting.  Chris/Red put on a great show but is obviously massively struggling with their injured leg still. The songs have a very Annie Lennox vibe I thought, i'll be interested to see if I have completely misjudged it when the album is out tomorrow.  They did a lot a lot of chat and theatrical showmanship between each song but... and i really should have thought of this before booking the tickets like a madwoman... i don't speak french. So the story arc of the performance was slightly (utterly) lost on me 😂

Saturday is Lil Nas X 🤩

Edited by GeezLouise

15 hours ago, blue6field said:

Best atmosphere I've experienced at Barrowlands since LCD Soundsystem a few years ago, very impressed.

Following the dirty vegan gyros, headed to Concorde 2 for Beach Bunny last night.

I think it was a good gig, but sadly I was just too knackered to really get into it or enjoy it.  Didn't help that the support act, Siv Jakobsen, was incredibly low key. Lovely, but she nearly sent me to sleep with the state I'm in at the moment.

It's the first gig I can remember where I've hung back and found something to lean on rather than get stuck in.  Musically they sounded really good and Lili's voice was decent, but it just felt a bit...flat. Didn't really feel like there was a lot of stage presence going on, not quite going through the motions but not quite hitting it either. Lili was quite chatty and trying to get the crowd going a bit but there just didn't feel like much going on from the rest of the band. Bass player was having fun though.

Might just be me being tired and crotchety of course.  Everyone else seemed to enjoy it. Although the one thing I will say is that when you try to get the crowd to start a moshpit and then in the same breath say "don't push people", then I don't understand the world anymore.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:51 PM, SighMo said:

Was pretty full in the Joiners for Plastic Mermaids last night. Two good bands in neighbouring venues. Never seen them before and thought they were outstanding. 

They were quality. Some beautiful moments. Very interesting band. Also loved the support, who was fronted by one of the plastic mermaid's band members. Bit more of a folk vibe. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 11:21 PM, blue6field said:

Saw them last night at the New Century in Manchester. 

How can a band that come on to 'The Macarena' and end with a DJ Sammy cover be so utterly brilliant?

Such a fun band and just what the world needs now, great to see them getting the crowds the deserve. 

Great venue. £6.50 for that Madri shit the only downside. 

Anyone who's going tonight or tomorrow is in for a great night. 

13 hours ago, Quark said:

Following the dirty vegan gyros, headed to Concorde 2 for Beach Bunny last night.

I think it was a good gig, but sadly I was just too knackered to really get into it or enjoy it.  Didn't help that the support act, Siv Jakobsen, was incredibly low key. Lovely, but she nearly sent me to sleep with the state I'm in at the moment.

It's the first gig I can remember where I've hung back and found something to lean on rather than get stuck in.  Musically they sounded really good and Lili's voice was decent, but it just felt a bit...flat. Didn't really feel like there was a lot of stage presence going on, not quite going through the motions but not quite hitting it either. Lili was quite chatty and trying to get the crowd going a bit but there just didn't feel like much going on from the rest of the band. Bass player was having fun though.

Might just be me being tired and crotchety of course.  Everyone else seemed to enjoy it. Although the one thing I will say is that when you try to get the crowd to start a moshpit and then in the same breath say "don't push people", then I don't understand the world anymore.

This makes me feel slightly better about having to sell my tickets. Couldn't leave Nuala on a Saturday night in fireworks season. Sold the tickets in 4 minutes on Twickets so at least I am not out of pocket. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

This makes me feel slightly better about having to sell my tickets. Couldn't leave Nuala on a Saturday night in fireworks season. Sold the tickets in 4 minutes on Twickets so at least I am not out of pocket. 

Gotta love Twickets.  I do feel a bit bad about the review as I think I'm just really tired and grouchy! Also being one of the oldest people in the crowd probably didn't help either. Was giving off strong "how do you do fellow kids?" vibes

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gotta love Twickets.  I do feel a bit bad about the review as I think I'm just really tired and grouchy! Also being one of the oldest people in the crowd probably didn't help either. Was giving off strong "how do you do fellow kids?" vibes

Yep I suspect the person I sold to was more their target audience. Hopefully catch them some other time. I know what you mean about not necessarily being in the mood for it. I once went to a gig with 2 others and I don't think the band were on brilliant form but I also don't think they were as bad as the 2 I was with thought either and it completely ruined them for me. Barely listened to them since. 

Biffy Clyro with Architects at the Birmingham NEC. Great show. Never seen Architects before so it was great to be introduced to their live work, and Biffy were superb. Shame we didn't get Victory Over The Sun, which is a good song and was played at shows earlier this week but appears to have been dropped, but plenty of great tunes all the same.

Even if I'm now getting old and didn't feel the need to advance from my spot by the sound desk aha.

Got the train down to Brighton after work to see Bellowhead for what i think must be the...10th time.  They were playing in London a few days earlier but sod seeing them in the Albert Hall, that place is a atmosphere vacuum for up-tempo gigs. 

The vibe was a bit strange but I've never been to the Brighton Dome before so it was nice to tick that off the list. Bellowhead themselves were excellent as usual. Sea-shanties, Murder ballads and songs about being swindled by prostitutes, what more could you want? 

I'd love to see them at the farm. Either west holts again or acoustic tent would be great. i'm surprised they don't play there more often to be honest. 

6 hours ago, GeezLouise said:

Got the train down to Brighton after work to see Bellowhead for what i think must be the...10th time.  They were playing in London a few days earlier but sod seeing them in the Albert Hall, that place is a atmosphere vacuum for up-tempo gigs. 

The vibe was a bit strange but I've never been to the Brighton Dome before so it was nice to tick that off the list. Bellowhead themselves were excellent as usual. Sea-shanties, Murder ballads and songs about being swindled by prostitutes, what more could you want? 

I'd love to see them at the farm. Either west holts again or acoustic tent would be great. i'm surprised they don't play there more often to be honest. 

I was at that, I was at the Portsmouth gig too last week. Such amazing musicianship and they are clearly having such fun live still. I was thinking acoustic tent would be a good place for them. 

• Like 1