LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

2 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Just thinking about the potential change to Arcadia (back to the spider)...  Is this rumour based on the festival failing to get a planning permission to keep the crane as a permanent structure?

That and the fact I’ve heard it will happen along with another poster Stuie thinking the same 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

That and the fact I’ve heard it will happen along with another poster Stuie thinking the same 

That has me wondering so. I thought the refusal meant they had a time frame for when they needed to remove the crane?

Given the body is still up, could we see one more year with the crane maybe?

3 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

That has me wondering so. I thought the refusal meant they had a time frame for when they needed to remove the crane?

Heard the swap was for this year … don’t know if things have changed since … I think with planning it sometimes takes a while for things to be enforced … no time frame seems to have be available anywhere 

7 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I've heard from someone who has previously worked with the Arcadia team that they are not inclined to spend more to develop the crane idea for just one more year.  If the base can't be kept all year round, installing and removing it every year would eat up about 65% of the area budget. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I've heard from someone who has previously worked with the Arcadia team that they are not inclined to spend more to develop the crane idea for just one more year.  If the base can't be kept all year round, installing and removing it every year would eat up about 65% of the area budget. 

In the absence of the Glastocam, could they be removing it right now? 

Possibly that’s already been discussed, with all the resale messages I have not been keeping up 😂

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Possibly that’s already been discussed, with all the resale messages I have not been keeping up 😂

That was my thought as well. Not sure why they’d shut the webcam off for that when people will find out when it’s switched on again anyway, but maybe they want the pyramid skin inspection and crane base removal done before the cam gets switched on for the build proper. Dunno. 

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

considering you can see it from outside the site (eg from the local skatepark) if it was being worked on, someone would have posted pics by now.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Heard the swap was for this year … don’t know if things have changed since … I think with planning it sometimes takes a while for things to be enforced … no time frame seems to have be available anywhere 

Yeah so I suppose the enforcement time frame is at the root of the question. If this article is to be believed it should have been down ages ago (but I'm assuming there's been an appeal that I haven't found on Mendip or something).

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/18169531.planning-refused-pangea-crane-remain-glastonbury-festival-site-year-round/

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I get that it's costly to install/remove each year but given we're now less than 3 months away from the festival and the body of the crane is still up, I would imagine the cheaper option now would be to leave it up and dismantle after the festival otherwise for 2022 they're both removing the crane but also installing and removing the spider too.

7 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Yeah so I suppose the enforcement time frame is at the root of the question. If this article is to be believed it should have been down ages ago (but I'm assuming there's been an appeal that I haven't found on Mendip or something).

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/18169531.planning-refused-pangea-crane-remain-glastonbury-festival-site-year-round/

I get that it's costly to install/remove each year but given we're now less than 3 months away from the festival and the body of the crane is still up, I would imagine the cheaper option now would be to leave it up and dismantle after the festival otherwise for 2022 they're both removing the crane but also installing and removing the spider too.

There's already been a planning appeal with a revised application and it's been refused. 

Operating it as it was in 2019 would just be a bit rubbish.  It needs further development and there's no point spending that money and working on ideas for one festival. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

A Basement Jaxx DJ set is quite different to the live show. Expect a handful of BJ reworks amongst some standard house and tech house cuts. Probably what you experienced at Boardmasters?

yep thats why i said i hope its live

38 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I think you’re right. Maybe a post-Easter treat?

While the first poster tends to come earlier and earlier the final lineup drop tends to be around the same time. They like the 30th May region to drop it. Usually a few days between that date every year.

I’m holding fire on any hype because we’ve probably got a few weeks yet.

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Chems DJ has been mentioned lots of times.

Looks like its Basement Jaxx based off tour dates - hope its Live as i thought their DJ set was awful at Boardmasters last year.

https://linktr.ee/basementjaxxdj

https://www.orbitalofficial.com/live/

sorry @Euphoricape, although who knows!

It’ll be DJ sets. Although they have been in the studio recently… but they won’t have a show prepped for this year. 

41 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Arcrania as of 20 mins ago

20220328_115733.jpg

Thanks for the update @deebeedoobee, always appreciated!

Suggests against that theory then. If it was going to come down I guess it would have to be fairly soon wouldn't it? I assume they'd want to clear the space before bringing back the spider, or doing anything else with that area...

Edited by jimmillen

10 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I guess it would have to be fairly soon wouldn't it? I assume they'd want to clear the space before bringing back the spider

Apparently the spider only takes around 10 days to set up ( https://mixmag.asia/read/10-impressive-facts-about-getting-arcadias-50-tonne-spider-to-thailand-features) so they shouldn't be under too much pressure.  God knows what the hell they're going to do with a crane though.  

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Chems DJ has been mentioned lots of times.

Looks like its Basement Jaxx based off tour dates - hope its Live as i thought their DJ set was awful at Boardmasters last year.

https://linktr.ee/basementjaxxdj

https://www.orbitalofficial.com/live/

sorry @Euphoricape, although who knows!

I saw Basement Jaxx do a live set at Truck Festival in 2015 and it was absolutely outrageous.really good.

Not sure if I would bother with a 'DJ set'

Just now, BambooShanks said:

Apparently the spider only takes around 10 days to set up ( https://mixmag.asia/read/10-impressive-facts-about-getting-arcadias-50-tonne-spider-to-thailand-features) so they shouldn't be under too much pressure.  God knows what the hell they're going to do with a crane though.  

Huh, fair enough - maybe they can leave it a bit later then. Thanks for the link, interesting reading. 🙂