LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

I worked the festival in 2019 so didn't sadly get many big nights as I worked two of the main ones (Friday and Sunday) but I just watched this to remind myself at how terrible Pangea was.

Sorry, I love the festival, I loved Arcadia and all the associated stuff that went with it...some of my best Glastonbury memories are dancing on the Spider in 2010 but this is dreadful, doesn't work as a concept for me and I think they will be happy to get rid of it and bring the Spider back...

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked the festival in 2019 so didn't sadly get many big nights as I worked two of the main ones (Friday and Sunday) but I just watched this to remind myself at how terrible Pangea was.

Sorry, I love the festival, I loved Arcadia and all the associated stuff that went with it...some of my best Glastonbury memories are dancing on the Spider in 2010 but this is dreadful, doesn't work as a concept for me and I think they will be happy to get rid of it and bring the Spider back...

I have to agree. I mean, the context was it was the starting point of a work in progress, so it was never meant to be a finished piece, but without the hanging moon, it was a light show with a crane in the middle of it. The moon was the focal point and it just didn’t work without it. As always they made the best of it and the lighting was incredible, but I didn’t really get it either. 

Just now, kalifire said:

I have to agree. I mean, the context was it was the starting point of a work in progress, so it was never meant to be a finished piece, but without the hanging moon, it was a light show with a crane in the middle of it. The moon was the focal point and it just didn’t work without it. As always they made the best of it and the lighting was incredible, but I didn’t really get it either. 

It wasn't especially immersive, which is what I think they are always aiming for, and the Spider was as immersive as it gets pretty much, so it compared poorly. 

10 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

It wasn't especially immersive, which is what I think they are always aiming for, and the Spider was as immersive as it gets pretty much, so it compared poorly. 

Yeah really hard to match an installation they were perfecting for years immediately, but even with the knowledge it was always going to be built up it was a little bit of a damp squid, shame we will never get to see what they had intended for it... but for now, bring back the Spider!

YARN | that I think this whole case to be a damp squid. | The IT Crowd  (2006) - S04E06 Reynholm vs Reynholm | Video gifs by quotes | d9920f0e | 紗

1 minute ago, mjfiddy said:

shame we will never get to see what they had intended for it...

Thing is, I got the impression they didn't actually have anything intended for it - essentially they had the opportunity to buy a big dockyard crane and figured, understandably, that it'd look impressive in the middle of a field with shit hanging off it. Anything beyond that they were going to make up as they went along.

43 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Tend to agree.  When you're replacing something as iconic as the spider its got to be pretty damn good and sadly it wasn't. 

31 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

but this is dreadful, doesn't work as a concept for me and I think they will be happy to get rid of it and bring the Spider back...

As much as I was telling myself that it was only the first year of Pangea, that over time it would evolve into a showstopper that would eventually eclipses the spider, I was quite disappointed by it compared to the spider.

It just lacked that little bit of magic so as much as I'm disappointed that we won't get to see it progress, I'm more excited that the spider could be coming back.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Thing is, I got the impression they didn't actually have anything intended for it - essentially they had the opportunity to buy a big dockyard crane and figured, understandably, that it'd look impressive in the middle of a field with shit hanging off it. Anything beyond that they were going to make up as they went along.

They were asking for ideas at one point if I remember rightly … I actually quite liked it … but I think the height of it possibly didn’t give the same close feel as the spider … 

11 minutes ago, incident said:

it'd look impressive in the middle of a field

This was definitely the case, the fact it could be seen from pretty much all corners of the site even when the flames weren't going was something that must have been sat in their mind. 

Unfortunately, it just didn't quite live up to the hype, the fact we have had the 2 years of no progress on it as well has made a massive difference to our thoughts on it I'm sure.

52 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

That is utter shite hahaha just like walking past a building site and the roofers have a Dewalt radio playing (apart from the flames)

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I saw Basement Jaxx do a live set at Truck Festival in 2015 and it was absolutely outrageous.really good.

Not sure if I would bother with a 'DJ set'

Truck is an amazing festival. I used to play there every year until it was taken over. We used to do all the sound and production in the barn. 

27 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Was there a reason why the moon wasn't used?

1 minute ago, David_303 said:

Truck is an amazing festival. I used to play there every year until it was taken over. We used to do all the sound and production in the barn. 

I still go but its miles away from what I used to go to when it first started, in fact in 2019 I was stood there thinking 'I'm I even at the same event?'  There was 18,000 there that year I think the first year I went it was 500!

I know a fair few people who were involved with it in the early years....we probably know a few of the same people. 🙂 

I guess they must've thought that Pangea might evolve a bit like how the old Afterburner rig evolved into the Spider.

I'm probably mistaken - but the Spider was a brand new build at the time, wasn't it? (ie, it doesn't have the old Afterburner at it's core). That's the issue I've always seen with Pangea - the creative ideas are now all limited to it having to be around the base of a massive crane that's been left at the farm....rather than creating an entirely new structure from scratch.

2 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

I guess they must've thought that Pangea might evolve a bit like how the old Afterburner rig evolved into the Spider.

I'm probably mistaken - but the Spider was a brand new build at the time, wasn't it? (ie, it doesn't have the old Afterburner at it's core). That's the issue I've always seen with Pangea - the creative ideas are now all limited to it having to be around the base of a massive crane that's been left at the farm....rather than creating an entirely new structure from scratch.

Yes, Afterburner and The Spider are two completely different structures. 

Afterburner will be at Valley Fest in Bristol in August. 

https://www.valleyfest.co.uk/festival-venues/arcadia-field/

11 minutes ago, dogeggs said:

Oh cool I had no idea they kept it going. Always presumed that Afterburner got recycled into the Spider. Happy days!

So did i!

Someone more in the know might need to put each year and what the concept/construction was as I can't really recall!

I do remember dancing on the thing in 2010 when it was in the S.E corner during KissySellout and having a really good time! 😄 

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

So did i!

Someone more in the know might need to put each year and what the concept/construction was as I can't really recall!

I do remember dancing on the thing in 2010 when it was in the S.E corner during KissySellout and having a really good time! 😄 

I only have a vague memory of the Afterburner being covered with a crowd of very animated Oompa Loompas. They were having a fabulous time!

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I saw Basement Jaxx do a live set at Truck Festival in 2015 and it was absolutely outrageous.really good.

Not sure if I would bother with a 'DJ set'

We were well up for it and the DJing was fine, just they played about 20 seconds of wheres your head at (awful remix too) and not sure they even did romeo at all. For a festival set would have hoped for a bit more than that really and the crowd in general didn't seem too impressed.