Please Mr Eavis roll our tickets over to 2022

guypjfreak

On 8/10/2020 at 9:04 PM, lighthouse said:

Why is this thread in existence? 

We're august 2020 ffs.

Right now let's just look forward to Glasto 2021. 

I guess its probably not a huge way off when they have to make a decision. It must be a mare booking bands, staff, tents  equipment, planning permission etc and cost a fair bit of money on deposits, hiring people etc only for it to be cancelled again. They might be able to put some plans down but Id guess theyll want to know its going ahead before they have to start really pushing on. For a festival that size they might beed more than six months notice.

I see some festivals are advertising next year as going ahead now but its risky and could come back to haunt them. Just no way you can feasibly pull off a sociallybdistanced festival, even if you cut the crowd in half to 100k thats a lot of people to try and control who will be drinking and taking drugs for many.

Lets hope they make advancements on the vaccine or the virus mutates to a near non lethal form.

6 minutes ago, chatty said:

I guess its probably not a huge way off when they have to make a decision. It must be a mare booking bands, staff, tents  equipment, planning permission etc and cost a fair bit of money on deposits, hiring people etc only for it to be cancelled again. They might be able to put some plans down but Id guess theyll want to know its going ahead before they have to start really pushing on. For a festival that size they might beed more than six months notice.

I see some festivals are advertising next year as going ahead now but its risky and could come back to haunt them. Just no way you can feasibly pull off a sociallybdistanced festival, even if you cut the crowd in half to 100k thats a lot of people to try and control who will be drinking and taking drugs for many.

Lets hope they make advancements on the vaccine or the virus mutates to a near non lethal form.

We’re six months away from a decision having to be made for most festivals, and I suppose all they can do right now is operate business as usual. If they don’t press on with preparations and there is a dramatic change they could find themselves scrabbling around to throw an event together at the last minute. So I get why things are being advertised and announced now.

That said it’s also wilfully ignorant to think there isn’t a strong possibility that next summer could go the way of this one. Right now I’m not confident for G21 at all.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

We’re six months away from a decision having to be made for most festivals, and I suppose all they can do right now is operate business as usual. If they don’t press on with preparations and there is a dramatic change they could find themselves scrabbling around to throw an event together at the last minute. So I get why things are being advertised and announced now.

That said it’s also wilfully ignorant to think there isn’t a strong possibility that next summer could go the way of this one. Right now I’m not confident for G21 at all.

I was confident but I'm losing more each week.. 

11 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Why? 

Maybe it's cos I'm a manic depressive and only see the bad things in life.. Or I'm just stupid.. On both accounts I am wot I am but hey ho old son maybe I'm having a bad week which I certainly am. But like Ryan1984 say if one can run so can the other.. 

Mind saying that if that lot come down with covid I wouldn't bat an eye but eve tho I don't know you lot yous fellow glasto beans and I wouldn't like you lot to get it... 

17 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Maybe it's cos I'm a manic depressive and only see the bad things in life.. Or I'm just stupid.. On both accounts I am wot I am but hey ho old son maybe I'm having a bad week which I certainly am. But like Ryan1984 say if one can run so can the other.. 

Mind saying that if that lot come down with covid I wouldn't bat an eye but eve tho I don't know you lot yous fellow glasto beans and I wouldn't like you lot to get it... 

I think you are anything but stupid!!! Like you you say you are what you are multi faceted with lots of layers! Makes you a very interesting person to know!!! 
I’m finding the current situation is more confusing then it was at the beginning at least we knew then nothing was happening!! Now it changes everyday!! I’m beginning to doubt whether I know my arse from my elbow or whatever the saying is!!! 

Edited by funkychick2007
Spelling

6 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

I think you are anything but stupid!!! Like you you say you are what you are multi faceted with lots of layers! Makes you a very interesting person to know!!! 
I’m finding the current situation is more confusing then it was at the beginning at least we knew then nothing was happening!! Now it changes everyday!! I’m beginning to doubt whether I know my arse from my elbow or whatever the saying is!!! 

This x

I think the trouble with typing is a lot of the time things can come across differently to how they are meant and it can make u feel a certain way about something that in real life wouldn't have. 

But as Funkychick said, you are definitely not stupid. Its just so difficult right now to work out what's what 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 12:13 PM, incident said:

Not a chance that a decision to cancel would be made until after all the vaccine candidates with the potential to deliver wide distribution before about next April/May had all struck out. Which means the decision isn't coming this calendar year and hopefully not at all.

And obviously any decision on tickets wouldn't be made until around then, as what the future looks like at that point will be an important factor in what they decide to do.

No way will they make the decision that late. They’ll already be spending money on 2021. As each month goes by that will increase exponentially. The earliest a vaccine could be here is Oct, so I suspect their default position will be fingers crossed for a vaccine announcement, but unless that comes by Oct/Nov next year is off. 
Even then that doesn’t address the issue of how many people will refuse a vaccine and whether they’ll consider implementing a policy of entry only on proof of a vaccine, or a green screen on the track and trace app. 

On 8/13/2020 at 9:14 PM, guypjfreak said:

You aren't stupid at all mate, if anything I'm the stupid one for thinking it will go ahead lol. Well have new advancements by then in testing alone, sports are getting fans back now so they won't let all that go ahead and then think next summer festivals and other events will cancel too. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, smudger said:

No way will they make the decision that late. They’ll already be spending money on 2021. As each month goes by that will increase exponentially. The earliest a vaccine could be here is Oct, so I suspect their default position will be fingers crossed for a vaccine announcement, but unless that comes by Oct/Nov next year is off. 
Even then that doesn’t address the issue of how many people will refuse a vaccine and whether they’ll consider implementing a policy of entry only on proof of a vaccine, or a green screen on the track and trace app. 

It's far to early to be speculating what will happen next year; GF can only act on current government & health official advice. They will plan to go ahead but the future could take any one of numerous paths. For instance, the virus could naturally disappear (unlikely),  or an effective vaccine is developed and widely taken up, then again it may not, or virus transmission is successfully controlled within the UK but not elsewhere....or the virus persists in the UK circulating at a level which prevents mass gatherings taking place. Then there's the prospect of local lockdowns. Imagine the disruption if London was put on a limited travel lockdown just before the 2021 festival is about to occur 😲 Could be a blessing in disguise  though as it would keep the politico London set away 😁

23 minutes ago, Lycra said:

It's far to early to be speculating what will happen next year; GF can only act on current government & health official advice. They will plan to go ahead but the future could take any one of numerous paths. For instance, the virus could naturally disappear (unlikely),  or an effective vaccine is developed and widely taken up, then again it may not, or virus transmission is successfully controlled within the UK but not elsewhere....or the virus persists in the UK circulating at a level which prevents mass gatherings taking place. Then there's the prospect of local lockdowns. Imagine the disruption if London was put on a limited travel lockdown just before the 2021 festival is about to occur 😲 Could be a blessing in disguise  though as it would keep the politico London set away 😁

I beg pardon!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

And a good chunk of the performers...

• Upvote 1

My optimism about the likelihood of Glastonbury 2021 proceeding goes up and down all the time. Ultimately though, there won’t be another one until either the virus has run its course or, hopefully, a vaccine is available. 
The mood music from the Oxford University team seems positive and there remains a hope that it’ll work and vacations can start possibly at the end of this year.

It’ll get twitchy though if the delay is of a few months. Say they start rolling out the vaccination in March/April - what then? It’ll probably take quite a while to vaccinate the population, although if they adhere to the herd immunity theory then not everyone would need to be inoculated for the virus to die out. 

Imagine if (as someone else pointed out) entrance was only for those that could prove they’d been vaccinated, and the vaccination was still being rolled out up and down the country. Nightmare for those that hadn’t had it. 

Perhaps the priority for the jab should be: 1) the vulnerable, 2) key workers, 3) Glastonbury Festival ticket holders 🙂

Edited by henry bear

6 hours ago, smudger said:

I suspect you've slightly misread what I said there, as I deliberately phrased it that (slightly awkward) way exactly to avoid marking a specific point on the calendar as a cut off - the exact time for a decision will be fairly flexible based on how positive the future looks..

While yes, they're spending money month by month, I think that you might be overestimating just how much of that they could save by making the decision as early as October or November. At this point and probably until early next year, the vast bulk of "unrecoverable costs" will be the wages of the 23 full time staff that they keep on payroll even during a fallow year - during the last official planned for fallow year in 2018, the festival still lost nearly 3 million quid. Unless they make the unlikely decision to cut those staff, they're going to need to be paid regardless of whether the festival is on or off.

I also don't think the amount of recusants is even a consideration here - certainly it won't be a factor from the regulatory or insurance side - once everyone in the country has been offered the choice, then it becomes a case of "at your own risk" for this and for everything else. The festival might decide that's a bit harsh and take a different stance, but they shouldn't.

• Upvote 1

The only way I can see G21 going forward is if a vaccine is rolled out beforehand, with enough time for ticket holders to take it. I think they'll want to see evidence that we've been vaccinated prior to entry, and will deny entry to anyone who can't prove that.

The problem is the time frame. Given a vaccine in enough time is so uncertain, and given they'll have to spend significant sums on the festival before they're in a position to know, the pressure must be on them to make some kind of decision - certainly not later than the new year - before they lose yet more money on preparing for a festival which may not go ahead.

At this point, the most financially prudent decision would be to cancel next year's Glastonbury Festival, and I would imagine that's the path they'll take and they're holding out to see if there's any chance they don't have to do that.

48 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The only way I can see G21 going forward is if a vaccine is rolled out beforehand, with enough time for ticket holders to take it. I think they'll want to see evidence that we've been vaccinated prior to entry, and will deny entry to anyone who can't prove that.

The problem is the time frame. Given a vaccine in enough time is so uncertain, and given they'll have to spend significant sums on the festival before they're in a position to know, the pressure must be on them to make some kind of decision - certainly not later than the new year - before they lose yet more money on preparing for a festival which may not go ahead.

At this point, the most financially prudent decision would be to cancel next year's Glastonbury Festival, and I would imagine that's the path they'll take and they're holding out to see if there's any chance they don't have to do that.

This is generally my thoughts too.  I'm obviously no expert on pandemics, vaccines or operating a city-sized festival, but I'd have thought you'd need a vaccine widely available very soon in order for enough of us to have had it for them to make the decision to get going in the autumn.  Spring would be cutting it fine, to put it mildly. 

The administration of proving who has had a vaccine or not and thus whether they are granted entry is so complicated it hurts my head.  They'd have to invent a new system and get it up and running very quickly, with the highest possible stakes.  

Without knowing all the ins and outs of GFL, I agree with your opinion about the financial choices they may be forced into.  Knocking 2021 on the head early would, you'd imagine, give 2022 the best shot.  So many things will still be up in the air this year and into next that even a well oiled machine like Glastonbury would be a challenge to get going.

My heart says it's on until I'm told otherwise.  My head says I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we are in Somerset fields next June.

16 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

This is generally my thoughts too.  I'm obviously no expert on pandemics, vaccines or operating a city-sized festival, but I'd have thought you'd need a vaccine widely available very soon in order for enough of us to have had it for them to make the decision to get going in the autumn.  Spring would be cutting it fine, to put it mildly. 

The administration of proving who has had a vaccine or not and thus whether they are granted entry is so complicated it hurts my head.  They'd have to invent a new system and get it up and running very quickly, with the highest possible stakes.  

Without knowing all the ins and outs of GFL, I agree with your opinion about the financial choices they may be forced into.  Knocking 2021 on the head early would, you'd imagine, give 2022 the best shot.  So many things will still be up in the air this year and into next that even a well oiled machine like Glastonbury would be a challenge to get going.

My heart says it's on until I'm told otherwise.  My head says I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we are in Somerset fields next June.

I've got to say, my pessimism has increased considerably recently. I really thought it was more likely than not that we'd have a vaccine being rolled out this year, but I suspect I was kidding myself all along.

One thing that’s surely got to be factored are the other farms that are used Steanbow etc.  Whilst I’m no farmer I’d imagine they all  have to plan what they want to plant (if anything)  or do with the land for the following year along with applying for grants etc If available to maximise their income as they would on a fallow year without the income they all get from GFL. If the festival call it late they’d surely be duty bound to pay them. 

I’m starting to think it’ll be called this year ☹️

2 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

One thing that’s surely got to be factored are the other farms that are used Steanbow etc.  Whilst I’m no farmer I’d imagine they all  have to plan what they want to plant (if anything)  or do with the land for the following year along with applying for grants etc If available to maximise their income as they would on a fallow year without the income they all get from GFL. If the festival call it late they’d surely be duty bound to pay them. 

I’m starting to think it’ll be called this year ☹️

I agree. I can't see them sinking as much money as last time by leaving it to the last minute again.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've got to say, my pessimism has increased considerably recently. I really thought it was more likely than not that we'd have a vaccine being rolled out this year, but I suspect I was kidding myself all along.

I tend to lurch from optimism to pessimism and back again on a daily basis. If no Glasto next year that basically means most if not all festivals and arena gigs also not happening. At the moment I am riding the optimism train, maybe because the idea of almost two years without live gigs is unthinkable. The effect that would have on the music industry would be devastating, it already is bad enough.