Please Mr Eavis roll our tickets over to 2022

guypjfreak

I’m of the opinion that glasto and indeed most festival promoters in the UK will need a concrete yes or no by January, February at the latest. If its a maybe, then the promoters simply wont shell out the cash to plan the event as its way too risky. Most festivals “launch” in January Feb time with initial lineups / headliners and ticket sales and they will not want to incur marketing costs etc for something that may well not happen.

summary, look for the 2021 festival season to be called one way or the other by January i reckon. No chance it is left till March or April like this year - too many committed costs.

7 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

they will not want to incur marketing costs etc for something that may well not happen.

One thing that Glastonbury shouldn’t need to spend money on is marketing. 

All they need is one tweet and social media will do all the work for them. Other festivals will struggle though if they can’t commit. 

However large festivals will be back on in the UK by the 16th of March next year. 

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

One thing that Glastonbury shouldn’t need to spend money on is marketing. 

All they need is one tweet and social media will do all the work for them. Other festivals will struggle though if they can’t commit. 

However large festivals will be back on in the UK by the 16th of March next year. 

What is the relevance of that date? Is that when they cancelled this year?

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What is the relevance of that date? Is that when they cancelled this year?

Cheltenham Festival. They held off lockdown until after it went ahead this year. The Tories will want their favourite event back on the calendar next year. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Cheltenham Festival. They held off lockdown until after it went ahead last year. The Tories will want their favourite event back on the calendar next year. 

Ah right. Thought it felt a bit early. Mind you despite being so involved in those threads back then I can't remember when it did cancel. Was it April?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah right. Thought it felt a bit early. Mind you despite being so involved in those threads back then I can't remember when it did cancel. Was it April?

Lockdown came in just after Cheltenham. Think Glasto was cancelled not that long after. Seems like a lifetime ago which is why I thought it was last year 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Latitude/Download etc have started announcing tentative line-ups (both Festival Republic). You’d hope the promoters were confident enough that they are likely to be going ahead?

I'm of the opinion - not really sure why - that the govt has decided that all restrictions will end by 31st March next year at latest, although perhaps with instant testing or a test certificate for stuff like gigs/festivals.

And if there's any promoter in the loop for the govts thinking, that promoter is very likely to be Melvin.

Having said that, I'd expect promoters to be announcing stuff just on the basis of hope, because a promoter without shows to promote ceases to be a promoter. It's what they do, and they'll keep on doing it with their fingers crossed right up until the money to keep doing it runs out.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Cheltenham Festival. They held off lockdown until after it went ahead this year. The Tories will want their favourite event back on the calendar next year. 

But surely there’s nothing stopping them allowing that to go ahead then cancelling everything again? Not like this government has shame when it comes to double standards.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm of the opinion - not really sure why - that the govt has decided that all restrictions will end by 31st March next year at latest, although perhaps with instant testing or a test certificate for stuff like gigs/festivals.

And if there's any promoter in the loop for the govts thinking, that promoter is very likely to be Melvin.

Having said that, I'd expect promoters to be announcing stuff just on the basis of hope, because a promoter without shows to promote ceases to be a promoter. It's what they do, and they'll keep on doing it with their fingers crossed right up until the money to keep doing it runs out.

I said to a friend yesterday, expect an increased focus on the ‘at your own risk’ disclaimer that can be found on most (all?) ticket sales for performances?

Boris’s ‘normality’ by Christmas and then everything back by Easter so they can start with their ‘Make up your lost summer’-style messaging (obviously will be three words)?

Sorry if this has been covered (and luckily doesn’t affect me) but do you think it is likely they don’t do a sale this October?

Vast majority of tickets are wrapped up already and although I think it will go ahead, with the uncertainty over next year they may not wish to resell the returned tickets until April (when they are guaranteed to sell out anyway).

Not selling quite as many tickets may also be useful depending on regulations...

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

Sorry if this has been covered (and luckily doesn’t affect me) but do you think it is likely they don’t do a sale this October?

Vast majority of tickets are wrapped up already and although I think it will go ahead, with the uncertainty over next year they may not wish to resell the returned tickets until April (when they are guaranteed to sell out anyway).

Not selling quite as many tickets may also be useful depending on regulations...

All we have to go on is the October sale is still mentioned on the website at the moment .... the latest sale date announcement is 17th  September .... so hopefully by then we will know 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

All we have to go on is the October sale is still mentioned on the website at the moment .... the latest sale date announcement is 17th  September .... so hopefully by then we will know 

I would reckon that the festival will go ahead with the October sale, they know by now how many tickets will be available and that folk are expecting the sale. If they had decided not to go ahead they would surely have announced it by now. For no obvious reason I’m feeling more optimistic about it all today, must be the bloody awful weather today and watching Glastonbury highlights on telly! 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

I would reckon that the festival will go ahead with the October sale, they know by now how many tickets will be available and that folk are expecting the sale. If they had decided not to go ahead they would surely have announced it by now. For no obvious reason I’m feeling more optimistic about it all today, must be the bloody awful weather today and watching Glastonbury highlights on telly! 

it won't make any difference if they haven't made the festival decision yet I would say .... having the security of a few more deposits in the bank is surely the way to go and makes the april sale less of a risk as it takes place closer to the festival date ... 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

didn't someone say 20% of tickets had been returned?

I'm sure they did... but then its entirely possible i could have got all mixed up with something else

Never heard or seen that, sounds awfully high to me, I had thought a few thousand at the most, though I suppose some of those travelling from outwith the country might have changed their minds.  

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Never heard or seen that, sounds awfully high to me, I had thought a few thousand at the most. 

standard resales have been spoken of about 10% of tickets returned I think has been mooted in the past .... although  where this figure came from im not quite sure .... ... lots of things different this year .... jobs and the economy , lack of 50th and its obviously 1 year later so people might have pre planned stuff 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

standard resales have been spoken of about 10% of tickets returned I think has been mooted in the past .... although  where this figure came from im not quite sure .... ... lots of things different this year .... jobs and the economy , lack of 50th and its obviously 1 year later so people might have pre planned stuff 

See that, maybe because I am lucky enough not to be directly affected by all this shit that’s going on I wasn’t considering these things. It would be great to have the October sale to spare at least some folk the wait until next April. We’ve  spent a couple of dark winters in recent years thinking We wouldn’t get to the farm, not pleasant though the euphoria of resale success made up for it! 

33 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Never heard or seen that, sounds awfully high to me, I had thought a few thousand at the most, though I suppose some of those travelling from outwith the country might have changed their minds.  

29 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

oh just ignore me! :lol: I've probably imagined it

44 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

didn't someone say 20% of tickets had been returned?

I'm sure they did... but then its entirely possible i could have got all mixed up with something else

The festival definitely haven't said anything about the number of tickets returned (and they don't ever). So if you did hear it, the source probably isn't great.